Top 10 Posters

East Coast Storm and the Sandy Quilt Project

Page 9 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 315 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:04 PM

Leslie , It's men like your son ,that will be the heros when this is all over . I hope he stays safe as well 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:53 PM

Good night, east coasters!  I hope your evening's rest is uneventful.  I personally have troubling sleeping on windy nights - I can't imagine what it would be like with the addition of driving rain and concerns about flooding and/or loss of power.   I'll pray that you stay safe!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,467
Points 41,120
Mimi replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:08 AM

MNnancy:
I hope your evening's rest is uneventful

Thanks Nancy but it was eventful. 

But we certainly have been blessed as our house is still in one piece.  No school again today in my district.  We lost power at about 9:00 PM last evening.  I was so glad DH had gotten home early from work!  What do I know of generators and such?  Could have done it if I had to but sometimes guys are really handy to have around.  Once the generator took over we only used the electricity that we really needed. 

Went to bed about 11:00.  Slept away from that noisy machine instead of right over it. Lots and lots of branches and leaves are down all over the yard but thankfully all our trees are still standing.  Next door neighbor lost two trees. 

And as you can see the power came back on at about 2:00 AM.  DH said he was suddenly awakened and realized the lights were on in the neighborhood and turned the generator off.  I never heard a thing. 

Many, many thanks for everyone's  protective prayers and good thoughts.  Hope all your friends and relatives on the East Coast are safe and warm.  Today I'm getting ready for the Fall Fiber Frenzy at the Lodge in TN this weekend.  Hurricane Sandy has gone but will not be forgotten.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:13 AM

I know none of you can probably get online, but know you are in our Prayers and constnst thoughts. This mornings report is horrific.

Dear God, PLEASE, stop this storm, devastation, and loss. Keep these victums of this storm safe. Please be with my family throughout the state of Virginia and my niece in Brooklyn, NY. Be with ALL QCA members ,where ever they are, in this storm. In Jesus precious name, I Pray, Amen.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:31 AM

Last  I heard there wer several million people without power , Looks like all those voleenters will be very busy today starting clean -up ,I hope everyone is safe .

Mimi so glad you and dyours made it thru with no major issues.  Have fun at the fall frenzy ,and have a safe drive.

Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,032
Points 19,820

Mimi - I hope your travels to the Frenzy are uneventful.  Please be careful as I now see snow is falling in West Virginia.  The newscaster was in Elkins, WV and we were there on Sat. I'm glad we left when we did so please, please be careful.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,606
Points 52,025
Ginny replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:19 AM

Barbara:
Ginny ,blondie , you two stay alert even in your sleep

Well Barbara,  I made it through the night.  I did stay alert, sad to say.  It was blowing so hard here-up to 50 mph winds.  Cold enough that it wasn't just rain coming down but ice pellets too.  So those hitting on the window plus the branches from the neighbors tree hitting my house, you might say I was awake all night.  At least, we still have power her,so I guess I will go sew something.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,608
Points 247,117
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:20 AM

Everyone on the east coast is in our prayers, Just listening to Gov Christie from NJ and expecting to hear shortly from Mayor Bloomberg... the pictures are devastating.  They say a storm like this has not happened since early in the 1800s.  It is amazing to me - the scope of the damage.  So many people affected.  Knowing what they are all going through my heart goes out to them.  I know right now they are in shock and then the reality will set in.  It is a big clean up but we know that we will make it through - Americans always do - Right now, I can't do anything but pray that answers and help get to those that need it today.   Scary what is happening!  And the storm continues on - no longer a hurricane but a super storm.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:32 AM

Ginny so happy you made it thru , sorry you didn't get much sleep , guess you will tonight . From what I seen on TV you are one of the lucky ones if you still have power . Just gald its almost over . take care .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,878
Points 40,520
ls2116 replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:47 AM

I know those in the storms path need to conseve energy ... if they still have electric .  My power went off and on about 5 times last night.  The Wind sounded like a building was shifting it was a sound I hadn't heard before and I'm in Mi. Stay safe in recovery efforts.  I read that someone was in their attick.  Has anyone heard are they ok?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,467
Points 41,120
Mimi replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 10:06 AM

Beth Weigt:
I hope your travels to the Frenzy are uneventful.

Thanks Beth for your good wishes.  I hope they are uneventful too.  I think we will probably have school tomorrow as long as all the schools are ready to open and we all have power back on.  I only have a half day of teaching and then parent/teacher conferences in the afternoon. If schools are closed tomorrow I'll start as soon as I can in the morning.   My route only takes me on interstates and state maintained roads so I'm hoping by tomorrow mid-afternoon things will have settled down some what.  I learned to drive in the snow and have an all wheel drive vehicle.  I'm thinking I'll be okay especially since I don't drive like DH. LOL  Nana has offered a place to stay if need be and if I need to, I will stop if things just are too bad to drive. Again, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,467
Points 41,120
Mimi replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 10:13 AM

Barbara:
Have fun at the fall frenzy

Thanks Barbara.  We are so glad everything is in one piece too.  I'm hoping the Frenzy will be lots of fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 178,388
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 10:25 AM

My prayers are going up for all those who went through and are still going through the devastation of Sandy.  My neighborhood was spared all but high winds and rain.  We didn't even lose electricity!  All we have are the leaves from the trees covering every inch of ground.  I'm thankful to God for that.  

Hope to hear soon from our QCA family in the path of Sandy that all is well with them.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Ginny, I'm glad you made it through the night and still have power. Hopefully, the worst of it is over.

Prayers for you and all who are in the path of the storm - stay safe and warm...(((HUGS)))  (((HUGS))) to all of you...God Bless!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,606
Points 52,025
Ginny replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 12:38 PM

Spudgrandma, I am glad that I came out on the winning end so far too.   Usually, my power is the first to go out and the last to be fixed.  So that is a big sigh of relief.

I was just looking at some of the pictures of the devastation in New York and New Jersey  and I realixe just how lucky that I am.  We still have some wind here,but no where near a strong as last night.  I am amazed at the far reaches of this storm, after all I am in Michigan.  

I, too, am praying for all of our friends who are bearing the brunt of this storm. I know what I have here is NOTHING like what they are going thru.

One good thing about this wind though is that it is coming from the North- northeast at us and it is blowing most of the leaves up towards the back of the property, so we won't have as far to lug them back to a hole in the woods when we start raking them.     Ginny

Page 9 of 22 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use