Quilt sandwich then machine quilting

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 175
windingriver Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2012 6:53 AM

Just bought long arm  Sweet 16 sit down quilting machine.  New to this.  Need tips on best way to sandwich quilt.  Have large cutting table which I layer quilt using clips on side to smooth out then I pin whole top.  Seems will be a pain to remove pins when you want to quilt a section. Any suggestions?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 5,995
PennyWyo replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 7:09 AM

Congratulations winding river on your new friend, Windingriver!  I got mine earlier this year.....April and love it though I have gone through a learning stage on tension, etc.  I had done large quilts on my sewing machine for several years but could tell it was taking its toll.   Have you done much FMQ at all?  I used Patsy Thompson's videos to learn FMQing and from those I chose to start spray basting my quilts.  A large quilt can take 1 1/2 hours to pin baste, all down on your hands and knees.  Spray basting takes less than an hour and half an hour if you have one person to help left the batting and top when you start spraying.  You're right, it's also difficult to get going on quilting when you stop constantly to move pins.  Spray costs a little more but quilt stores often have percent off sales and I stock up then. 

You'll have a lot of fun once you get things figured out.  It doesn't take near as long as using a sewing machine.  I finished quilting all but the border of a queen size in just one day.  Let me know if I can give my input on anything else.

Penny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,383
Points 360,857
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 8:53 AM

Congrats on your new machine.

If you plan your quilting ahead of time you can place pins away from your sewing path or you can do stabilising stitches then remove all pins for the "fancy work".

If your quilt will be washed after quilting, you could baste with a water soluble thread (by hand or by machine).

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use