Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:36 PM
Hi all! I imagine that those of you who agreed to help me with the "Quilts for Chicago area half-way house", are feeling a little 'hen pecked'. It's just that at night it's getting as low as 40's and sometimes upper 30's. I know that I told everyone that I didn't need the quilts until it got cold or even January, however, since I began getting calls from the owner of the houses, asking when they were getting the quilts. I started to panic a bit, knowing what I told you all! Therefore, if those of you who offered to help, could, PM me as to when you expect to have time to begin working on them, it'd be very helpful to me. I know that most of you have other obligations and/or are very busy. However if you could drop me a quick message, I'd be very, very grateful! This way, I can put together a list with dates and not worry about it! (And not bother you all, anymore!) Thanks everyone! As always, thank you very much for whatever help you can manage to offer! Big hugs! chicagosinger

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

Chicago -- I came late to this project, but am a bit confused.  When I read your blog post it appeared you needed a total of two quilts, but in reading some of your posts it becomes apparent you want more than that.  How many quilts did you agree to for the half-way house and how many have been done so far?  That might help people on this board understand your needs better.  Also, are the Chicago area quilting guilds/ groups also involved in this project?

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Yes, I need 2 quilts from each person that agreed to help early this summer. I need 35 quilts and have sent 5 quilts over, including yours. When I asked earlier, stupid me didn't write down any names or anything, because I figured we had all summer. (Can you tell I've never done this before?) Now that it's getting colder here, I'm panicking a bit. I'm not sure who or why the same folks haven't responded. That's why I posted this, so I could at least find out who agreed to help, can't do it now, etc... No, There are no other groups involved. I'm new to quilting and have no connections of that type. Wouldn't even know where to begin, to be honest. Thanks by the way for your help, I don't mean to push anyone. I just need to know who's on board!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

I can certainly understand why you are beginning to panic some.  I may not be speaking to your needs since I haven't read the posts from early summer, only the blog entry you made in August.  But it appears at present the main concern is getting warm bed coverings to the residents, not so much handmade quilts.  Have you considered charity shops for used blankets and comforters?  Around here I can buy fairly nice blankets for between $3.00 and $5.00.   I'm only speaking for myself, but the postage on a completed quilt is at least $10.00, which would prevent me from making whole quilts and sending them to you.  You could get one or two blankets locally for less than what it costs to send you one quilt. 

And although you haven't asked for my advice, I'll give it anyway. <grin>  Look up quilting guilds in your area and ask them for help even though you are not a member.  The guild I belong to has two charity activities that we make quilts for -- a hospital neonatal unit and a nursing home.  I think all guilds have things like that.   Here's a partial list of guilds in Illinois, including Chicago:  http://www.quiltguilds.com/illinois.htm

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 10:36 AM

Debbi,

I will get the second one done next week.  Our weather here has been so hot and humid. It reached 100 yesterday but it is expected to cool down to the 70's by the weekend. 

I haven't forgotten about you and the commitment I made to you months ago, but you can imagine working with flannel in this heat....

I'll let you know when it goes out in the mail.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Oh Annie please don't worry about it! You're good to go! Just do the other one when it's cooled off enough, okay? I'm worrying about other folks who volunteered to help, earlier this summer. I didn't write down there names, as stated in my post to Belfrybat, so I don't even know who volunteered to help! What a dork, huh!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Thanx for the link BB, that's a huge help!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,194
Points 15,975
Susan replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 6:46 PM

Debbi, I am making two fleece quilt/blankets for twin size bed. The fleece was and is still 50 and 60% off so I decided this was the cheapest and fastest way to go. I will have them done in about a week.I will PM you for your address.    Susan, North Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Thank you VERY much Susan! It sounds nice and snuggly warm!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hello Chicago, I live in south central TX where it is still very hot , but we still have to have a blanket in January..
. I don't know to what y'all are talking about, but I would be willing to send you a small check to purchase some fleece or flannel for a blanket. I make  blankets that only use 2 yards of fleece squared off then serged around, they wash well and keep their shape. Now if you are needing blankets that are lined or backed with flannel then those would be very heavy to mail ( again stated above) so I am willing to send you the funds to make two blankets and that would save me $$ for shipping. Let me know through a PM I will not post any personal information here in a public forum. or at least repost the requirements that you need to satisfy your commitment, others may be willing to help.
PS I work on charity quilts as well, and that is done through a LQS who has volunteers bring to workshop as many 3" & 4 " strips of children's flannel fabrics and battings cut to match, they are then put together easily using a serger in quilt as you go method, someone else has volunteered to do the binding after we do all the piecing, you really should ask your local fabric shop owners or managers about some type of service group doing this. You may have taken on a bit of a heavy load with 35 blankets.. Wow that is a lot for one person.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Hi CarylAnne! That'd be great if you can manage it, thank you! Earlier this summer, I asked for and got several volunteers to each make two single or twin size quilts with matching pillowcases, for a local half=way house for men. No requirements or restrictions, only that they be warm. Most agreed to make one or two quilts. The problem is, dummy me didn't write down names or anything. I figured since we had the whole summer, I didn't need to yet. Now that it is getting colder(in Chicago), and I've posted several times regarding this, I've only heard from about 5 people, most of whom were not original volunteers. Since I was stupid enough to not write down names, I don't even know who to contact to ask if they can still help so I'm panicking and kicking myself! Hence this post, a request for those who did volunteer to let me know who they are, if they're still willing to help, and when they think they may have time to get the quilt(s) done, so I can comprise a list. In the meantime, yes, I am contacting local guilds as someone else suggested it, too! As you stated, I need 35 quilts by December or January. That's what I originally told everyone, but it's already dipping into the upper 30's at night. As you can imagine, because I mistakenly told everyone Dec. or Jan., I don't want to push or pester anyone about this, I'm in a pickle! I am hoping others might be able to help and we've sent 5 quilts over. I have one of mine I'm finishing and a volunteers' quilt that I'm finishing up for her. So I still need 23 more quilts. If you go to my blog (it's the only one I've done it has all the info where to send it.) Or you can PM me and I'll shoot you my address and such. Thanx again! P.S- MAY have taken on too much???? I think so!(LOL)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use