Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

MaggieNae:
My beginning was two large pieces of fabric and a sewing machine. 

Oh not me Maggie, being the brainiack blond space cadet that I am, I started with 2.5" squares. That's me, learn everything the hard way.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 640
Points 9,640
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:37 PM

There are also some great videos right here on QCA.  Check the left side of the home page. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,617
Points 48,355
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:35 PM

Vanessa, welcome to the fold!  If you've bought the full membership here you have access to QNNtv.com.  There are years of quilting programs there.  Quilty is for beginner quilting.  Fons and Porter, Elizabeth Burns/Quilt in a Day  are a couple  of others to watch to learn technique.  If you don't have the full membership I think it's only $24 at QNNtv.  Have fun!!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,005
barbjahay replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:04 PM

I taught several beginner quilt classes when I worked at a quilt shop. One of the first things I had them do if they had not used a sewing machine very much, is to take a sheet of notebook paper and follow the lines with the needle, no thread , This will help you get the feel of the machine speed and etc. This is a trick my Junior High Home Ec. teacher had us do.  Start with a simple project with simple and well written directions. Pay attention to your seam allowance, check it with a ruler once in a while to make sure you are staying accurate. Sewing machines will vary depending on the foot you use. even thought it says 1/4 " foot, measure your seam anyway. Some are a hair off one way or another. If you have or can get a 1/4" strip piecing foot try it out. I use mine alot for piecing.  It has a guide on the right edge to help keep the fabric straight.  Some Complete Guide to Quilting Books will have learning excerises and simple projects to start on. Good Luck. bj

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use