Top 10 Posters

Just started stippling....do you match thread color to block you are stippling or same color for whole quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 175
windingriver posted on Wed, Oct 10 2012 2:32 PM

Not sure if I should change thread colors when stippling.  Just bought a sweet 16 sit down machine.  Can I use invisible thread on top?  I have been told never use invisible thread in bobbin

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624
Verified by windingriver

Hi windingriver and welcome to QCA. I use the same color for the whole quilt, if you try to match each block you would be changing thread constantly. I use a lot of variegated thread and sorry I cannot answer your question about the invisible thread as I have never used it. Again, welcome!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 25
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,069 Posts
Points 29,170
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 3:16 PM
Verified by windingriver

windingriver,

I agree with Spudgrandma. I'd  pick a thread that blends with quilt, a nutural. Variegated sounds good too. One that has the quilt colors in it. I have never used the invisible thread either. Considered it, bought it but not used it.  If you do, check  your manual or the thread company you bought your invisible thread from as to the tension and needle to use with your machine and no, I would not use it in the bobbin. I would use a So Fine or Bottom Line in the bobbin.  Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the site! Hope to see lots of projects you've done.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624
Verified by windingriver

Hi windingriver and welcome to QCA. I use the same color for the whole quilt, if you try to match each block you would be changing thread constantly. I use a lot of variegated thread and sorry I cannot answer your question about the invisible thread as I have never used it. Again, welcome!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,069 Posts
Points 29,170
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 3:16 PM
Verified by windingriver

windingriver,

I agree with Spudgrandma. I'd  pick a thread that blends with quilt, a nutural. Variegated sounds good too. One that has the quilt colors in it. I have never used the invisible thread either. Considered it, bought it but not used it.  If you do, check  your manual or the thread company you bought your invisible thread from as to the tension and needle to use with your machine and no, I would not use it in the bobbin. I would use a So Fine or Bottom Line in the bobbin.  Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the site! Hope to see lots of projects you've done.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,934
gini replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:32 AM

Hi winding river, welcome to the group.   I quilt. With a domestic machine, and  I change the color of my thread to suit my quilting whim of the moment.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
346 Posts
Points 6,015

Hi Winding River.....I love my sweet sixteen and agree that you should use a neutral thread throughout.  I had some problems with my bobbin tension when the bobbin tension got low but resolved the problem with prewound magnetic bobbins by Fil-tec at bobbincentral.com        If you have any problems, check them out.  They also have great prices on top thread and are comparable to the So Fine which is also a great top thread.  I still have a lot of So Fine so I use it in the top and the magnetic bobbins in the bottom.  My probems were resolved with that combination.  Have fun!

Penny

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use