Never good at math

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 735
SuzyCraftMaker posted on Fri, Oct 5 2012 6:50 PM

My biggest downfall (well, one of them) is I'm not good at math....

4.5" strips cut in WOF and I'm told to make triangles out of it with a certain tool I can purchase...don't want to buy it and want to be accurate and end up with what I need for the finished block (Flying Home quilt). Am I better to cut squares and then just cut across?  All I have is the video posted on this site to go by, but it sounds like a fairly easy pattern and I'm going to a fabric sale tomorrow and I'm trying to think ahead.

How would you do it?

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,282 Posts
Points 173,428
Answered (Verified) Marie replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:16 PM
Verified by SuzyCraftMaker

Suzy, I have Easy Quilts, Fall 2011.  If you PM me I can tell you how to cut for the half square triangles without the special ruler.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
655 Posts
Points 16,585

Are you to make half square triangles or flying geese triangles (which are made from rectangular strips.  If half square, there is a speed sewing way to do them.  I'll be back with a link. 

This is how I speed piece HST, obviously this is not the size you want, but those smarter than I can guide you in that department.  http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BuzzardsRoostBlock.html

If you need to do flying geese, then there's a short cut for those as well.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 735

thanks  - I think I did something similar to this on another quilt, but "memory fades"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,282 Posts
Points 173,428
Answered (Verified) Marie replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:16 PM
Verified by SuzyCraftMaker

Suzy, I have Easy Quilts, Fall 2011.  If you PM me I can tell you how to cut for the half square triangles without the special ruler.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 735

I'd love to get the information, but not sure how to send a PM to you...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,670 Posts
Points 37,620
ls2116 replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:47 PM

I think pm means private email address not sure though.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,847 Posts
Points 85,755

PM is the private message you can send a friend on the site. If you don't want everyone seeing, you can "private message" them. Go to your friends page and chose who you want to send a message to.It says start conversation.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,282 Posts
Points 173,428
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 1:49 PM

SuzyCraftMaker:

I'd love to get the information, but not sure how to send a PM to you...

Suzie, I sent you a PM but for the future, when you'd like to send a PM to anybody, just click their name above in the post you are reading.  It will take you to their page where you could click "add as friend", then write the note and send, hope this helps.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use