Top 10 Posters

Baby Lock Tiara 16-Inch Longarm

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 27 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 400
newbie2009 posted on Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:45 PM

Any Tiara owners on the board?  Pros and Cons?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Can't help you with that specific make/model, but wondering if this is on a frame or a sit-down model?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,809 Posts
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:19 PM

MNnancy, this is Baby Lock's brand new 16" sit-down model, similar to the HQ Sweet 16 I think.  I saw it at the show in Madison but did not spend much time with it.

Newbie2009, take it for a test drive if you have a dealer nearby. I have the Crown Jewel on a frame but if you don't have room for a frame, the sit-downs are great alternatives. A friend of mine has an HQ Sweet 16 & enjoys it. It's also nice if you want to move the fabric instead of a machine.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,631 Posts
Points 36,945
Answered (Not Verified) ls2116 replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:30 PM
Suggested by Pizzo52

I think i've seen advertisement in magazine but thats all i can say.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Baby lock is made by handiquilter so it will be very similar to their sweet 16.  

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 400

I took advice and test drove a Tiara a couple times.  It has been ordered and impatiently waiting for its arrival.  In the meantime I have been making up potholders and wall hangings on which to practice.  Can hardly wait.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

I just had to chuckle...  Quilting potholders with a 16" machine seems a bit of an overkill, but I understand wanting to practice.  Looking forward to pictures of your new baby!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

deleted / duplicate

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 60
Keebs replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 10:44 PM

I just acquired one.  I think I am going to love it.  I am having some tension problems, but I think it is because I need to learn the feel of the thread through the tension disks.  The mechanism is like a Singer Featherweight.  I am currently using it to quilt a McKenna Ryan pattern that has tiny fusible pieces.  The needle is leaving larger holes that I would like but that is probable because I used fusiboo batting and the fusible under the appliqued pieces.  The needles are larger than a standard machine, but they have to be to handle the 1500 stitches per inch. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

How exciting Keebs, you will have to share some pictures of your new toy. If I have not already said so, nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 400

I got mine delivered last Thursday.  I also had tension problems.  Finally figured out it is the threading of the machine.  On mine you can hear a slight click when you get it pulled correctly between the tension disks.  We had adjusted and adjusted the bottom tension before we figured that out.  So far all I have done is practice getting the feel for the machine.  I do have some things that I used fusible for applique, need to try to do one of them.  I think I will really like the machine once I get used to it.  I chose this machine because I am not able to stand for long period of times so hopefully this will work well for me. Really wish the bobbin was more easily accessible.  It is almost like I am afraid to try using it on something I plan to give away----I better get over it because I have Christmas presents ready to by completed. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,809 Posts
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:23 AM

Congrats on your purchase!  Practice is the best thing you can do. I had tension issues on my Crown Jewel & it does take time to get to know your machine, what thread it likes, tension settings, etc.  Relax, have fun & play :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

newbie2009:
I got mine delivered last Thursday. 

Congrats, don't forget to share pictures!!!

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 35
Barb replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:07 AM

do you know what the manufacturer's suggested retail price is?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

I cannot help you on the price barb, but I wanted to say Hi and it is nice to meet you.

• | Post Points: 20
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use