Embroidery Question??

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni posted on Mon, Oct 1 2012 7:52 AM

I have 2 completed quilts..quilted by LAQ with batting similar to warm n natural.  Don't know brand but it feels nice and light in my quilts.

I would like to embroider names of recipients and birth date and my name.   because of the 3 layers already in fixed place do I need to use a no show backing or water soluable adheisive?  Would it be all right to just hoop and embroider.  I'm using a Baby Lock Ellegante.

Help!  I would like to start this AM if possible.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,817 Posts
Points 248,459

Joni ,sorry I can't help you there ,I hope someone can

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
32 Posts
Points 775
In my personal opinion I would NOT try hooping the quilt. Instead I would recommend stitching it on a piece of fabric and hand stitching it to the back of the quilt. That is how I would do mine when I forget to do the embroidery before the quilting (which is often).
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,618

I agree with Louise.  That is how they do all of the quilts on display at the shop.  The labels are made "after the fact" and hand stitched to the backs. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 7:27 AM

I'm not wanting a label at this time, I want the name embroidered directly on finished quilt.  Guess I'll have to make a sandwich, FMQ and then try to embroider it...nothing better late than never!  Thanks gals!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,767

Joni--

I use a water soluble adhesive back stabilizer in my hoop, so that I can place the quilt in the hoop without hooping it.  Be sure that' it's securely stuck down and the weight of the quilt is well distributed and you should be OK

Kissimmee, FL

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 11:52 AM

Thanks Joyce,

I was trying to decide which stabilizer to use.   I get that done then add small square on back to hold extra fabric for emergency down the years..water soluble it is!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 8:31 AM

OK here are 2 sample of embroidery front and back on quilted practice piece.  Only difference I can tell is lower case "L" on bottom love.  What do you think  one with water soluble back and one without?  Think I'll try to use WS on 1st name...just to be safe...can I just not put the WS in the hoop, just adhere to back of quilt???

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use