Top 10 Posters

Biscuit quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 70
Liz Lambert posted on Thu, Sep 27 2012 7:22 AM

I am working on my second biscuit quilt, they are very simple to make but very boring until you begin the assembly process.  So I was thinking I should share  with you all what I have learned and some tips. When making the  biscuits, always begin sewing with the bottom square 3 1/2 inch square with cross grain,and the top square 4inches opposite straight of the grain. It assures that your square will remain 3 1/2 inches. "and that's all I have to say bout' that!  LOL. 

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 680
Tina replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 7:26 AM

This is probably dumb, but what's a biscuit quilt?  :-)

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 70
Suggested by MelodyP MO/KS

You make small pillows essentially, the bottom square is smaller than the top square by 1/2 inch, you make small pleats in the top square to make room for stuffing, and then you sew them all together. It was a popular pattern in the early seventies. It is very heavy and warm

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,005 Posts
Points 25,005
I remember these, they were very cool!

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

My DIL is making one for her daughter.  Actually, the daughter was to have made it but copped out partway "not my thing"  So Jackie (who is slightly compulsive) is finishing it.  Hers is quite light.  The bisuits are lightly stuffed not packed.  I will never make one.  In this lifetime, anyway.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,126 Posts
Points 411,209
gini replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 12:38 PM

i made one years ago,  they have another name, uh er,  

puff quilt.    that's what we called them way back when.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 70

After I made the first one, I said NEVER, again, but last month my youngest Daughter looked at me with those big brown eyes...well the rest is history.  Yes I'm using a lightweight filler and stuffing very gently, regardless, when all is said and done, it is a beast to handle. But the results are stunning. One must live in Alaska to use it, LOL

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 70

Yes puff quilts, very boring to make, I'd much rather be piecing

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,421 Posts
Points 62,265
Bonita replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 5:07 PM

Liz Lambert:

Yes puff quilts, very boring to make, I'd much rather be piecing

I;m sorry to hear that. My DD saw one on pinterest and is now bugging me to make her one. I keep stalling. LOL

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use