Top 10 Posters

Quilt out of shirts...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 670
Prairiemom posted on Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:15 PM

I am going  to make my mom a quilt out of my stepdad's shirts(cotton & flannel dress shirt type shirts).

My question is about how much material do you get out of a medium to large shirt.  How many shirts approximately do you need for a lap quilt?

What pattern/design would you suggest for such a quilt

Thanks

Pam

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 8:34 AM

BB,

Thanks for sharing the website, I found it fascinating how she cut the shirts so systematically.  (I do have to say the guns scared me a bit)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,333 Posts
Points 20,025

BB - I like your quilt and what you're doing with them. 

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 670

Thank you so much for all the advice.  Video was awesome I would never of thought to cut apart the yoke or the collar.  I have to look at the quilts that have been posted but that will have to wait until the baby sleeps.

Pam

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,406 Posts
Points 361,182
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 9:01 PM

Belfrybat:
 I made this one out of 6 shirt fronts and sleeves as I am using the backs for another project.

Pretty quilt Belfrybat.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
788 Posts
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:18 PM

Annie:

BB,

Thanks for sharing the website, I found it fascinating how she cut the shirts so systematically.  (I do have to say the guns scared me a bit)

Annie, I looked at the video to see what were you talking about, guns?  Guess I missed that part!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 6:18 AM

Carol:

Annie:

BB,

Annie, I looked at the video to see what were you talking about, guns?  Guess I missed that part!

Carol,

The second link has guns on the bottom of the thread.  I don't know if they're advertisements but I was shocked to see them.  I'm a scaredy cat...

Top 150 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 16,575

Thank you all for your nice comments.  I actually prefer this method when using shirts or scraps as the pattern sort of figures itself out.

Marie:

BB, very nice quilt, love the colors, nice work getting those plaids and stripes lined up.

Thank you, but I did absolutely nothing to line up the plaids and stripes.  I just randomly made 6-1/2" nine patch squares making sure I used the same fabric for the center of each square and didn't end up putting the same colour/ pattern in next to each other.  Then cut the squares apart in quarters, flipped two opposite corners and that was it.  The pattern sorted itself out.  I do sometimes make disappearing nine patch with more forethought and less scrappy, but I like the randomness of this kind of quilt top.   

Brigit-Carol

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use