Top 10 Posters

Quilt out of shirts...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
24 Posts
Points 705
Prairiemom posted on Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:15 PM

I am going  to make my mom a quilt out of my stepdad's shirts(cotton & flannel dress shirt type shirts).

My question is about how much material do you get out of a medium to large shirt.  How many shirts approximately do you need for a lap quilt?

What pattern/design would you suggest for such a quilt

Thanks

Pam

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 125

I am trying to collect enough shirts to do the same thing.  I saw one at a quilt show that I loved.  Each block had a different plaid and a different light background.  It was really nice, not gorgeous, but very comforting.  A simple geometric pattern for the blocks.  make them all the same so it's not too busy.

A large shirt measures about 22 inches across the back and equally long, so it's like half a selvage to selvage.  The fronts are longer but only about ten inches wide.  I cut swatches out of the collars to help coordinate the fabrics.  I now have five shirts (Rescue Mission store finds) so it'll be a while before I start it.  Good luck.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Answered (Not Verified) Annie replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:39 PM

Pam,

I recently made 3 quilts for my friend.  She gave me 21 shirts, varying in style and color.  I had no idea how much fabric they would yield so I cut all the sleeves and collars off, as well as all the seams.  I got quite a bit of fabric out of the sleeves as well.  I was able to 3 quilt tops ( I used different backing).  Each were a good size throw quilt.  I am pretty sure I have them on my gallery, under the heading "Quilts and Pillows"  I even made a dog cushion, that her dogs just loves.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, would love to help if I can

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,306 Posts
Points 29,605
Agnes replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 10:43 PM

I will be making a throw for my grandson out of his Papa's shirts. I plan to use the Sawtooth Star pattern in about a 10" block. Like so many of my quilts the total plan will not come together until I am actually working on it. I plan to use as much of the shirt as I can so the sleeves should be good for the star points. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,955 Posts
Points 368,357
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 11:39 PM

Pam,

Bonnie Hunter has a nice video (scroll down the page a bit to find it) showing how to take a shirt apart and how much you get out of it. Any design would work for your quilt. Just find something you like.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:23 AM

I wish I would have seen the video before I cut all my shirts.  I did get as much fabric but I did't "rip" so it took me a bit longer.  Thanks Kris, now I know for the next time.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,306 Posts
Points 29,605
Agnes replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 9:44 AM

Thanks, Kris. Following Bonnie's method I will be deboning my shirts while I have one eye on the TV screen. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,604 Posts
Points 48,215

Perfect timing!!  I have a friend coming by to discuss this very thing.  She has a bunch of her grandmother's shirts that she wants made into lap quilts for her cousins.  I've been collecting pattern ideas but that deboning video just sped up the process a LOT!  Thank you!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,604 Posts
Points 48,215

Pam, for pattern ideas, I Googled 'Scrap Quilts' and "Scrap Lap Quilts'  then switched over to the image page to see what other people have done with scraps.  Also, on Bonnie's page on the right side there are a bunch of free scrap quilt patterns to check out.

Southwest of San Antonio

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 55

hello, i just finished a lap quilt from lynettes mothers blouses she is a small i was able to get 2 from approx. 20 shirts if this helps you  kimberly lots of fun

Top 100 Contributor
Female
721 Posts
Points 18,125

You'll need 7 shirts for both front and back if you follow these instructions: http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.com/2009/06/seven-shirts-seven-steps-one-thrifty.html

To see another one of the above quilt, go here:  http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/country-homemaking/sewing-quilting/422273-seven-shirts-quilt-finished.html

I made this one out of 6 shirt fronts and sleeves as I am using the backs for another project.  It is disappearing nine patch and measures 60" square.  I have enough 6" squares left to make about three quarters of another one, so will add in another shirt front.  So 2 lap sized quilts from 7 shirt fronts and sleeves.   

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
721 Posts
Points 18,125

Oh, I forgot to mention that I purchase shirts for 10 cents each from the local charity shop when they have their Friday sales.  So the outlay for these quilts is next to nothing.  I make them for the nursing home. 

When I take a shirt apart I don't rip as in the video as it stretches the edges of the fabric.  But I can cut almost as fast as she can rip, so it doesn't take much time at all.

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 6:13 AM

Belfrybat

Your quilt is really pretty.  Such a good use for old shirts.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

BB your quilt is lovely. good use for old shirts ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,534 Posts
Points 177,478
Marie replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 8:03 AM

BB, very nice quilt, love the colors, nice work getting those plaids and stripes lined up.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use