Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 604
Points 14,321
Tammy Posted: Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:54 PM

Hi everyone!!!  Been a while I know but the summer just seemed to be bogged down with a lot of things. 

Sissy was busy with basketball camps and babysitting for her sister so didn't get to see much of her.  Did have the opportunity to go on vacation to Rapid City, SD.  We were not thinking when we left the first weekend of August when we left.... it was the beginning for Sturgis!!!  Heavens we were glad to find a room that was available. 

Hubby's sister who is 54, just one yr older than myself, had a series of mini strokes the first week of July.  No paralysis, but memory loss and speech were impaired.  She's doing pretty good now with the therapy and speech she's taken.  We thank God for that.   Our grandson, little Dax, is 7 months old now, crawling, jabbering and unfortunately suffering from reoccurring ear infection.  Hopefully, the doctor will do something to alleviate his pain.  He's been on 4 different antibiotics and had ear infect. 4 times in 2 months. Poor little guy!

I have a question for you.  I'm going to use basting spray of this t-shirt quilt.  Is this stuff gummy or do I need to put a lot of protection down on the floor to do this?  Don't have a wall to sandwich it on so the floor is it.  And I'm going to put sashings between the blocks and free motion in those but should I maybe tye the center of the blocks?  Just don't know how it will all stay together if I don't .  Do not want to quilt in the blocks as it would have to go through all the printing on the blocks.  I think when I get this one finally done, it will be the last t-shirt quilt I will do.  Just have not enjoyed it that much. 

Well, if you have some ideas, I'd really appreciate your input!!    THANKS!!!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:02 PM

I would definitely put some newspaper down to protect your floor from any overspray.  Otherwise, if the floor is easily washable, a good mopping with hot soapy water will clean it up.  I found that the 505 spray was easier to use - not as much overspray, less odor, and not gummy at all.

I did hear recently that basting glue can be used just like safety pins - dots of glue on the batting a fist width apart, then smooth your fabric over it, flip the quilt over and repeat on the other side.  Supposedly that does not gum up your needle at all.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 19,035

I always use basting spray. I have tried doing on the wall, my bed (king size) and the floor. I can't reach everything on the wall and a don't have a big enough wall for larger quilts. The bed was a pain in the neck so I finally used the floor. I used old sheets on the floor then I sprayed. It was much easier the spread the fabric evenly on the sprayed batting. I don't usually have a problem with the needle gumming up. The is usually a little bulb of the spray at the top end of the needle but it doesn't affect the say it sews. I really like it. I've also tried hand basting and basting with pins. The hand basting was horrible to remove all the thread. The pins were just a pain to stop and remove them or I would automatically try to go around them then mess up my quilting. I guess what I am trying to say is that spray basting is the best choice for me. 

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 604
Points 14,321
Tammy replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:19 PM

MNnancy:
I did hear recently that basting glue can be used just like safety pins - dots of glue on the batting a fist width apart, then smooth your fabric over it, flip the quilt over and repeat on the other side.

That's a great idea!!!  Thanks, MN Nancy

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 604
Points 14,321
Tammy replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:21 PM

Melissa Halpain:
guess what I am trying to say is that spray basting is the best choice for me.

Thanks Melissa for your help also.  I've never used basting spray so I'm hoping it works better than crawling on the floor to do it.  My knees won't let me do that anymore!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

I need to try out spray basting.  I keep saying I'm going to, but I never want to buy the stuff.. so then when I get to that point, all I have around are safety pins, so I go that route.  I can't count how many times I've accidentally sewn over a safety pin, which totally knocks my machine out of whack.  Thankfully, both my machines are pretty stury, but I hate that I'm so hard on them.

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,832
Thea replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:10 AM

Tammy, I would definitely put something underneath to catch the overspray.  I use sullivans the big pink can that you get at JoAnn's - or the blue can at Hancock's  I have used 505 but have found it does not go very far - very expensive too...It is gummy - any of them are - they are glue - so you can't get a away from it - I have a little emery needle sharpener pad that I use and am constantly cleaning my needle.

If you are going to tie - you tie the whole quilt - if you are going to FMQ then you do that all over.. the reason I say this is that your quilting has to be uniform all over the quilt or it will not lay flat.  

Inside the blocks - you might just do a simple outline stitch - make sure you check your batting for how far apart your quilting is going to be if you decide not to quilt in the interior of the blocks - you don't want your batting bunching up.  Some types you can get away with 8" but most are about the width of your fist.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,574
Points 36,060
ls2116 replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:29 AM

I've never spray basted, I just pin.  Let us know how it comes out and post in show and tell.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,247
Points 134,648
Stephanie replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:22 PM

Tammy,

I always use spray baste. I take mine outside on my driveway pad to avoid the fumes. If you're doing this inside, you'll definitely need something for the overspray. Sticky, but water soluble. Also a well ventilated area. On a large quilt I usually start in the center rolling both sides of the quilt from the edge to the center and spray an 18 inch line or so across. I unroll the top  and smooth as I go and work down to the ends. Then I start again from the center and repeat the other side. I have used Sullivans and 505 and agree with Thea that the Sullivans goes farther. Haven't had any trouble with gumminess so far, and it's a delight to work without pins.   

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 8:54 PM

I've tried both and while 505 is pricier, I find it gives off less fumes and isn't quite as gummy. I still prefer to pin baste but agree that it is a pain. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:44 AM

Carolyn I use the stuff you can get at Walmart ,It comes in a big can and works just fine, just don't overspray when you use it, a light coating is all you need ,the cans sell for about 8.95  or something around that . You get it in the sewing department . I t works just as well as the expensive stuff

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:55 AM

Thats what i use also Barbara, and it does work great

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 8:28 AM

Leslie & Barbara,

Wow, really?  I never thought to use the cheaper stuff for fear of it getting too gummy.  Does it have a brand name?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:13 AM

Annie, it is called  Ortiz Basting Spray, they sll it in the notions area usually on the bottom shelf .Just use a light spray it work just fine.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:24 PM

Thanks Barbara, going to get some next time I'm at Walmart

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use