Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger Posted: Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:00 PM
Hi everyone! At the beginning of the summer I made a committment to the owner of a local half-way house, to make quilts for single and twin sized beds, for men. Quite a few of you graciously agreed to help me fulfill this committment, but because there were prior committments to other charities and other things, we agreed that since they didn't need to be completed until the weather turned cold that, understandably so, it could wait. Over the weekend I recieved a call from Rocky (the owner) asking how things were going with the quilts. Because of his call, I thought now would be a good time to get the wheels turning for completing this project, but I can't do it without your help. I'm hoping that most of your committment have been fulfilled and would like to humbly ask those of you who agreed to help, to please begin working on the quilts.. There are no requirements nor restrictions. If your memory needs to be refreshed please go to my blog regarding this. Since it's my only blog, it shouldn't be difficult to find. Even so, we need 2 quilts, if possible, with matching pillowcases.They need to be male orientated, for single or twin beds and they need to be warm. Please ship them to me, since we live close to the houses (there are 2 houses), we will deliver the quilts ourselves( my DH and I). To find out where to send the quilts to, please send me an e-mail at dmgd5918@hotmail.com. , or go to my dashboard and leave me a message there. Most of you have that info, however if you can't find it, I'll be happy to send it to again, no problem! If this is the first you've heard of this and would like more information, please go to my dashboard and I'll fill you in. Finally, to those agreed to help, THANK YOU!!! I hope you understand why I feel the need to start getting the wheels turning. The nightime temps have been in the lower 50's and will even dip into the 40's this week, so I hope you understand my growing sense of urgency! Again, thank you very, very much! The men who'll be getting your quilts, will greatly appreciate your help, as the government no longer supplies items such as these. As these men are beginning new lives, they usually can't afford to buy a blanket for themselves. They must pay their rent, bus fare, clean clothes, toiletries and food. You all know how much blankets cost, let alone nice, warm comfy quilts, made from your loving and kind hands!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 16,575

I'll be glad to make a few blocks if you will share the size and colour scheme.   I regularly participate in quilt swaps, so might even have some already done.  If not, I can whip up 5-6 nine patch blocks fairly quickly.  

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 9:16 PM

Chicagosinger. 

I remember saying I would help you but haven't even thought of it till now. I will start on it immediately. I have a few weeks off so I get some thing done soon. Thanks for the reminder. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 16,575

Just curious what the difference is between single and twin size?  I've always used them interchangeably.  ie. 39 x 76 mattress size. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Firstly, Yes thank you! I could use all the help I can get! The requirements are easy, make them for guys, single or twin, 2 if possible, more and I will love you forever, and they need to be warm. Easy huh!The twin is about 3 to 5 " bigger than the single, all the way around. I have a twin and if I put a sheet for a single, the corners don't stay on the bed very well.Thanks to both of you! Please do me a favor and get the word out! We need at least 35 quilts and pillowcases. If you don't want or don't know how to make a PC, send me the material you want used, and I'll make it for you. I can whip one up in about 4 or 5 hours. When you're finished, shoot me a message and I'll send you my shipping address. As stated before, we live nearby so we'll take them over. I was starting to get a bit worried as I thought that at least 7 or 8 people said they'd pitch in! So I post this, then for days...nothing! Phew! I'm wiping the sweat off my brow now! So.. thanks again!.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Thanks Annie! Phew, I was getting worried! Could you read my other post here for an update? Thanks again!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,327
Points 46,255
Angele replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 5:23 PM

Debbi, i just sent mine in the mail today. You should get it by Wednesday, or so the lady told me at the post office. There is a quilt and pillowcase. I had promised one and sorry but that is all I can do right now. Maybe later in the year I will be able to get another o e made, but for now baby quilts are calling me.  Three to be exact. By Christmas. Now if it had been for women...I had one that felt lonely.  I just hope you get it and that you like it.  Bless you for being so thoughtful of others going through hard times.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 16,575

Angele, Did you post a picture?  I'd love to see what these quilts look like.  Thanks.

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 8:35 AM

Debbi,

When do you need them by?  I am planning on starting them this week.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Hi Annie! Firstly, let me say "thank you" again! Originally I told everypne I didn't need them until December. Because it's been dippimg into the 30's at night occasionally. I keep thinking about how cold they must be trying to sleep, so use your best judgement. I don't want to push anyone, but I'm tempted to tell you A.S.A.P, just because it's been getting cold at night here. It probably doesn't seem like I answered your question. Sorry, hope I made sense anyway.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Angele, you're the best! Thanks! Yes please, if you could make another one after the BQ's are done, that'd be great! Thanks again, I owe ya'!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,531
Points 22,970
Susie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 4:54 PM

Hey Debi-- I have a couple of things that are pressing, and then I'll get started on the one I promised you. I know I'll be able to get one done, and maybe 2, depending on how much fabric I have, and my finances.

I'll let you know once I have them done & we can get together--but it won't be for a couple weeks.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,327
Points 46,255
Angele replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 5:33 PM

Yes I posted it in did you work on a quilt today?  Forum.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Sep 25 2012 7:05 PM

Debi,

Ill get started on them immediately.  We've been having such a heat wave it's hard to think that some of your are feeling cold right now.  Today is a bit nicer only getting to 85.  And I don't even live in Arizona! lol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
No problem. I guess I forget that the rest of the country is still suffering from this summers' god awful heat wave. Thanks Annie! If you want, just let me know when they're ready to ship and I'll PM you my shipping address. Where do live? Sorry, too lazy to look up your page. Besides, I don't trust this site to get me back to the MB's. Have a great night! Thanx again!

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use