Charity projects

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 Posted: Wed, Sep 12 2012 10:27 AM

Here's an idea for those of you who like charity projects -- When Bossman1's mom broke her hip last month, DD wanted to make her a lap quilt. We discussed the project and decided that we really did not have enough time to take on a full-blown quilt, but as long as we had already gone through our stash and found the perfect fabric for her, we decided to do something else. We've been in school bag mode for a few weeks, so it was an easy jump to decide to make her a walker caddy. I found several patterns on-line.

She has senial dementia so personalizing her walker was a useful way to remind her that it was there for her to use. I customised an in-side pocket to fit her special needs and embroidered her name on it.  The family loved the idea. Her son helped her to install it on her walker and said she was off down the hallway showing it off before he ever left the building. Now her husband has contacted me to say that the nursing home staff would greatly appreciate it if I made 3 or 4 more of them for other walker users in their care. 

They only take about a yard of fabric and they go together fast. They need not be fancy. I'm sure that nursing homes would be glad to have a few of these bags on hand for folks in simular need, and if you wanted you could easily call and get ideas for color and interests of the people who would be recieving them for more personalized totes.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 20

thanks for all the information guys

situs jual beli

iklan gratis online

link directory

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 10:53 AM

CC, I have been thinking about doing that for my local nursing home, they were good to my mom when she had to stay there  till her hip healed.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 5:18 PM

Yep, we're doing those, too.  We're introducing one new charity project a month at the guild meetings.  We started with twin size quilts made from donated strips this month.  Next month I'll have a fidget quilt finished and ready to show along with the handout I shared on this site.  November will be soft hats sewn from used t-shirts for cancer patients.  December is walker, wheelchair, and catheter bags.  Wheelchair quilts in January.  Not sure about February yet.  Ideas?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 225
Tammy replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 5:32 PM

What an awesome idea!!  I think this winter when things get slower at work for me I may contact our local nursing homes and see if they would like some of these made also.

Tammy   ----Iowa

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 656
Points 16,605

I'm making lap quilts to give to the nursing home residents at Christmas.  It's a way for me to practice my quilting skills and give something at the same time.  Although I hope the people who get my first two or three are blind!

Do you have a picture or pattern for the walking frame caddies?  I might be interested in making some as well.  Thanks.  

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,375
Points 175,078
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 8:30 PM

CC, great idea, thanks for the info.  

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,810
Points 43,674
Eileen replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 7:46 AM

Nancy, great idea on how to use of the strips you got at guild!  Are there any shelters nearby that could use pillow cases? Maybe make some crib quilts for a hospital?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:19 AM

Hi Eileen!  Good suggestion except that these strips include blocks made of home decor fabric, and although they are washable, I don't think they'd be especially appropriate for pillows or cribs.  

For anyone looking for patterns for charity quilts, the book Comfort Quilts from the Heart contains a lot of good ideas.  I also saw a walker bag pattern on Facebook yesterday.  I'll see if I can find it again.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 11:30 AM

This is the pattern I used, Belfrybat. http://sewing.about.com/od/healthbeautyitems/ss/walkerbag.htm

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 656
Points 16,605

chocake2:

This is the pattern I used, Belfrybat. http://sewing.about.com/od/healthbeautyitems/ss/walkerbag.htm

Thank you very much.  It looks fairly simple but elegant.  Although I think I'd use velcro rather than the D rings on the bottom straps -- I've never liked D rings myself and think older folks would have problems with them. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 309
Points 26,625

Belfrybat:
I think I'd use velcro rather than the D rings on the bottom straps

The walker bag made for my dad had buttons and button holes to fasten on the walker.  If you don't mind making button holes, this is a simple method of fastening.  Most machines these days have auto button hole makers so I don't mind.  That is my personal preference

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use