Top 10 Posters

Quilt Guild Fabric Exchange

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 65
Grams Goodnight posted on Mon, Sep 10 2012 9:06 AM

If your Quilt Guild does a monthly Fabric Exchange, what size material do you exchange? 6" squares? 3" width of fabrics? other sizes?

Do you also suggest final use of the fabric - quilt patterns, etc?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

We don't do an exchange, but we do an annual challenge.  Guild members purchase a fat quarter of a designated fabric sold at the first guild meeting of the year, and they are challenged to design a block of a specified size adding up to two more fabrics of personal choice.  The completed blocks are displayed four months later for a viewer's choice award, and then they are collected for use by the charity quilt committee.

I'll be anxious to read other posts about actual exchanges.  Our guild had not considered trying one of those.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,297 Posts
Points 414,019
gini replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:18 AM

hi grams, welcome to the group.  we don't do fabric exchanges in our guild. we do a block of the moth and have a drawing. 

nancy, that sounds like a fun idea for a guild activity.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,201 Posts
Points 239,072
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 12:10 PM

our guild used to do charm squares - 5" squares and fat quarter exchanges - I haven't been in so long not sure if they are still doing them...

then over the years we have had a block exchange... different ways they have done this program

one was you made a specific block in specific colors and for every block you put in you had 1 chance at the drawing - then a drawing was held and the winning person got all the blocks - they were supposed to make a quilt top with them within 6 months and bring it back for the guild to see.

the other way was you each got a new pattern each month and by the end of the year you had 12 blocks to make into a quilt and again the members would bring in their top to share with the guild.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:09 PM

Grams,

Welcome to the site.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 16,575

I haven't been to the first meeting yet, but the guild I'm going to visit next week in a neighbouring town has a fat quarter exchange each month (not sure how it works) and a BOM that is presented one month and the next those who have made a block enter a drawing for winner take all.  Sounds interesting. 

Brigit-Carol

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use