Quilt for a foster child

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 155
quiltbyassociation Posted: Fri, Aug 31 2012 2:52 PM

Do you have scraps in your sewing area?  Of course we all do.  I would like to invite you to join me in a project to use some of them. We can pool our scraps, with a little effort thrown in, to help foster children who need a little love. I call the project Quilt by Association.

We have make one quilt already. It was for a Rhode Island teen name Shique (pronounced she-kway). She was struggling to finish school, and she needed a lift to her spirits. Eleven women across the country contributed squares, and I pulled them all into a big patchwork quilt. Shique was amazed that all these women who didn’t even know her would do this for her.

Well, there’s another young woman who also needs our help.  Her name is Samantha. She's 17, and she just lost her mother. She is heading off to college in the fall, but she could use our support to get through this difficult period.

Samantha loves sports, and she loves to laugh. Her favorite colors are red and pink.

If you would like to participate in Samantha’s quilt by association, please send me one or two 8 1/2 inch squares. We welcome all contributions.

What should they look like?

Think red and pink and stripes with a sense of humor.

As the squares roll in, I'll post pix here and at www.quiltbyassociation.wordpress.com so everyone can see.

Here's the address:

Quilt by Association

25 Browning Drive

Narragansett, RI 02882

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
As I am an adult foster child, I think this is a wonderful Idea! I have a project that I'm responsible for but I'll work this square into my day for Samantha. Thank you!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 12:11 AM

I'd love to participate.  I should be able to get 1 block squeezed into my schedule somehow.  I may have some fabric to donate for future projects as well - would you be interested in that?   It isn't pink, but maybe somewhere along the way you may have a boy that needs love too.  A few years ago I was fortunate to be able to donate 20 dolls to an orphanage in Uganda.  That was such a rewarding experience!

I wasn't "legally" a foster child, but I did have a difficult time growing up - my father and I had several serious issues once I hit the teen years.  A local family watched out for me and took me in whenever needed - even gave me money and took me on family trips and such.  I consider them my "foster" family and 25 years later we are still in close touch.  So I can see where something like this would be greatly appreciated - sometimes you just need a hug to wrap up in.

As a woman currently fighting breast cancer, I can say that small handmade items that have been given to me by the hosptial have been so greatly appreciated.  Little pillows to help with the after effects of surgery, hats to cover my baldness... it means so much to me that someone that I don't know and won't probably ever meet took the time to make *my* situation easier for me to bear.  (I do plan on joing these volunteer groups myself when I am feeling a bit better, so maybe someday I'll meet one of them if I am lucky!)

Thank you for organizing this.  You are so amazing to take on a project like this!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,353
Points 20,380

I love this idea!  I moved in with "hanai family" at age 16 and am actually hoping to become a foster parent in the not-too-distant future.  I have a softball game tonight, but I'll build a block or two tomorrow or Friday.  I'll have it out in the mail to you by Monday!

Thanks for organizing this!  I've subscribed to your wordpress also.

Raleigh, NC

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

I would love to!!!  I have a TON of pink (my sister thought her youngest was a pink lover - turns out she likes green and yellow and purple...awesome) and nothing to do with it, so I will see what I can throw together this weekend and post it to you on Monday!  I actually have a crib quilt that I made for a domestic violence shelter, however no one is calling me back and I don't know what to do with it, so while it is in my possession, I am praying over the special little life that will receive it.  

Brandy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 10:07 PM

I'm so very sorry but I'm going to have to drop out of this for the time being - Chemo has hit me hard this week and we just found out there's been a death in the family.  Please keep me in mind for future projects, though!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,353
Points 20,380

Claudette:

Chemo has hit me hard this week and we just found out there's been a death in the family.  Please keep me in mind for future projects, though!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a hard week.  Hang in there.

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,525
Points 177,388
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:17 AM

Claudette, sorry to hear that, prayers going up for you and the family.  God Bless.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 9:06 AM

Claudette, thoughts and prayers for you.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,353
Points 20,380

My squishie for this project is in the mail, first class from Raleigh.  Enclosed are 3 blocks, all red & pink stripes.  The estimated delivery date is Thu, Sep 13.  Please let me know when you receive it.

Cheers!

Raleigh, NC

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use