Top 10 Posters

Buying a longarm (HandiQuilter HQ Pro Stitcher)

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
nwnancy replied on Wed, Jul 23 2014 11:46 AM

Just a note to beware of purchasing a longarm machine and using it for a home business.  Read the fine print and make sure you won't void out your warranty.  Unless your are purchasing a commercial machine, such as a Gammil, most machines such as a Handi Quilter or a Babylock Crown Jewel, are for home use only.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 982
Points 12,135

I am definitely going to purchase the HQ 18 Avante. I have Lupus & RA and the Avante was so smooth. The Babylock Crowne Jewel was awesome also but at the show it cost more. Either way I can't qualify for financing so save away.  I'm not interested in the prostitcher at the moment. I am havibg fun with free motion until I can afford the longarm. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Bonnie. Would you mind telling me where you purchased your Babylock Crown Jewel that financed it.  Also, how much was the software for the Babylock. I am trying to find a quilting machine and have a limited budget to get anything. Would appreciate your help.  My email address is:  merchantsandy@yahoo.com Thank you so much

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 685
Kathy replied on Fri, Oct 16 2015 1:05 PM

Hi Eva

In January of this year I purchased a new Babylock Crown Jewel with Prostitcher on the newly designed Millennium frame. I love the machine (same as the HQ18 Avante) and the Prostitcher software.  The frame extends up to 12 feet but I have it set up now with only 10 feet. If I had more room I would love to have the additional 2 feet in order to quilt floor length king size quilts. The best advice I can give you if you make the purchase is to take advantage of the HQ site for the tutorials on using the machine and especially on using the Prostitcher software. I wouldn't have survived that first couple of months without it. You'll find wonderful teachers who know just what you most need to know.  I have the pantograph equipment too but haven't even wanted to use it because the Prostitcher is so awesome! Most of the quilts I've finished have been edge to edge designs done completely with the software. I've also used the software in combination with free motion quilting. Thats fun too and works beautifully.

As for longer quilting for others...I'm just not ready for that. Learning to use the longarm has not been easy for me but Im getting better each day. BUT, as yet I wouldn't feel confident enough to take on other people's quilts.  Maybe one day...

Good luck to you, Eva. I know you'll enjoy whatever machine you might purchase.

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
SEMinster replied on Thu, Dec 3 2015 11:51 AM

I'm new to this forum and am considering buying a used HQ16 with Pro-Stitcher.  I'm planning to upgrade to the new tablet and software, but see that a few years ago HQ also started selling a new Precision Glide Carriage and Retrofit package.  Does anyone have any opinions on what improvements this upgrade provides (HQ website doesn't say) and whether I should consider this? Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.