Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 545
Carin Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 4:41 PM

We're moving next year and I'm in the decluttering phase of packing, which means my sewing room needs a big time cleaning.  So my stash that isn't being used needs to be packed until it gets unpacked next year, hopefully in the early summer!  Am I best off to use a rubbermaid tote or a regular cardboard packing box?  I have shelves of things to pack also!  I did learn how many duplicates and triplicates I have of certain categories of quiltmaking!  Do I really need 3 different basic applique books?  That's just the beginning of the stuff I have. 

Any input on packing fabric is very helpful.

Carin

Carin

A bad sewing day is better than a good day at work.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 4:44 PM

Carin

Depending on where you will be stowing your boxes the rubbermaid totes may draw moisture.  I would probably pack in cardboard just because air can circulate.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 5:53 PM

Carin, it's simple.  Put all that stash in a big box, seal it tight, put my address on it, and send it on its way.  I'll unpack it and put it on my shelves so it can breathe.  Give me a call when you're in your new home, and I'll repack any fabric that I recollect came from your stash and send it back to you.  Problem solved.  Now my memory is not what it used to be, but I'm sure I'll remember most of your fabric...

........or not.  LOL 

Seriously, good luck with your move.  I have not had to tackle a move since becoming a quilter.  I can't imagine how packing a sewing room must complicate an already overwhelming task.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,303
Points 372,912
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 12:18 AM

LOL. I like Nancy's suggestion (do I get some of the loot?).

I would put the fabric in some cotton pillowcases (you can buy really big ones or make some with cheap fabric) then use the cardboard boxes. Store them in a place where they'll be safe from moisture.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:06 AM

MNnancy:
Put all that stash in a big box, seal it tight, put my address on it, and send it on its way

No no, MY address.  And I am much better at remembering  than Nancy.  I can find my way home every single time without asking or getting lost!!  I'll just put a little tag on all your fabric so I can send it back, but only if you need it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:52 AM

I don't know if any of this information helps or not, but I got it from the website of my local quilt guild

Valuable Tips
gleened from June's speaker
Martha Spark

(Textile care and preservation expert)

~ Swim Noodles are safe to use
to roll our quilts
that are no wider than the
48" length of the noodles
~
~ Clear plastic containers
are safe for fabrics storage
IF
the letters PP and/or PE
appear on the bottom next to the triangle

~
It is not recommended to use
Space-Saver type plastic bags
for long term quilt storage as the compression of the fibers will cause strain and breakage over time.
A better option is to
wrap quilts in clean, white cotton
sheets
as textiles need to breath.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:12 PM

Thanks for asking we are in the process of moving in the next month and this has been very helpful mostly sorry dont have a large enough stash to send to anyone lol.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:56 PM

Kelli, this is very informative. I have been keeping batting in the space saver bags for sometime. It does not seem to effect them.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,774
Points 245,572
Thea replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 2:19 PM

If you aren't going to close them up until about a month before you move - I say the rubbermaid - but if they are going to be closed for a year and not be able to breathe at all - then use the cardboard packing - I know what fabric coming out of a rubbermaid tote after a year smells like and if you wash fabrics - no problem - but you will have to wash - and if you were to unpack it all at the same time - you will be overwhelmed with the smells from the chemicals that are in the fabrics - 

If you wash your fabrics when you buy them - then it won't matter.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use