Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,275
Points 254,464
Barbara Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 8:59 AM

All of our member is the southern states and Florida ,Please stay safe and when you can keep us posted on how you are all doing. We may not be there with you but we all do care .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,628
Points 24,885
Susie replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:28 AM

I will find out about my son later this morning and let everyone know what it's like about an hour southwest of New Orleans.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Susie - according to our weatherman's projections, it looks like that area may be getting the brunt of the weather.  We are already getting the "outer bands" --- a nice gentle rain.  I hope that some of the rain from Isaac makes it up to those areas in the Midwest that so desperately need the rain.  Probably too late to help any with this years crops though. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:38 AM

My nephew and his family live in Lafayette, LA. I believe it is north of N.O. Her brother and family live in N.O. and have gone to stay with James and Michelle. Pray they will all be safe as the est side is the "bad" side of a hurricane. Our son in Orlando said they were good when I talked to him last night. So, they dodged the bullet.

Praying for everyone in the path of the Isaac.  Also praying the the dry Midwest will get some much needed rain and cooler weather.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,171
Points 30,535
Ramona replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:00 AM

Thanks for the post on the storm. Guess our place in Orlando is secure for now.  Sending up prayers for those in the storm's path.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,628
Points 24,885
Susie replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:46 AM

I just talked to my son.  He's in Thibodaux, which is about 20 minutes from Houma if you look at the map.

At this point, it's not even raining, sunny as can be.  But the school is moving the kids out of the dorm at 2 pm today for the duration.  His roommate is a local boy, and said that even a class 1 is only going to give them lots of rain.  He said there may be flooding, but anyone who has been around there for 10+ years knows how to weather the normal TS and C1.  Katrina was a C3, which caught them all off guard.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,052
Points 71,545
Bonita replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:48 AM

Isaac has finialy left us here in S. Fl. He dumped over 10 inches of water on us in some places. My area got over 8. The news showed a couple of people on blow up beds using a broom and shovel to paddle down the street. Over 60,000 homes without power but most are getting back. They still haven't come back to remove the downed power lines from my DD yard. Will pray that Isaac does'nt do to much damage on his way north. Hopefuly just some much needed rain. Everyone on the gulf stay safe.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:14 PM

I think people who just blow off these storms are crazy. a Class 1 could kill someone. Someone could drown. Someone could have a power line fall on them. Do not ignore Mother Nature and what she can do. Perhaps, had all those taken heed of the constant demands for the people to GET OUT of NO during Katrina, there would not have been such a loss of life.  Now, they are doing things right and the people are, again, ignoring the call to evacuate. I would rather leave for awhile then have something I didn't consider harm myself or my family. I have been through a Cat 1 and it did more damage then I ever thought it could.

I have a friend who lives in the far northeast corner of MS. The motels are filled there, already, with those who think their life is worth something.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:04 PM

I was in the Outer Banks North Carolina during a cat. 1 hurricane.  I thought it was absolutely awesome watching the waves and storm surges.  The wind was bad but I have had the same winds in a bad storm in the mtns of VA,   We asked the locals if they were evacuating and was told no they weren't.  All they were doing was securing the outdoor furniture.  We all decided to stay and watch the storm.  I had a blast and would do it again.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 7:12 AM

I see the Hurricane has not come onshore yet. However, people under a mandatory evacuation, and did not leave, are having to be rescued. And, I think, a child has been killed. So, guess you never know. I just have a healthy respect for Mother Nature.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,628
Points 24,885
Susie replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:23 PM

My son said that they were getting some pretty heavy rain.  The restaurant on campus flooded, but nothing as of Noon happened.  Sounds like the administration at the school isn't even letting them go outside in the rain.  I'm glad that they are keeping the kids safe, though!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,275
Points 254,464
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 6:36 PM

Susie ,this is good to hear . please keep us posted. IT is suppose to be head up to Missouri in a couple of days .I really hope we can get some of the rain we need it badly . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,754
Points 420,104
gini replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:10 PM

great, barbara, i am flying in on friday just in time for the torrential rains.  just my luck, but probably better than the heat

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,179
Points 253,217
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:17 PM

I lived through Hurricane hugo back in 89 and if anyone ever tells me a storm like that is going to come within 100 miles of me I will be gone... Never ever again do I want to live through a night like that - I would evacuate completely.  130 mile per hour winds went over our trailer - yep lived in a trailer back then another thing that in storm country I wouldn't do - I have a great deal of respect for those storms - 

Nope - was young once and now am old and much wiser...teehee

My T&P to all who are in the path of this TS

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,275
Points 254,464
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:20 PM

Sorry Gini ,but we really do need the rain. maybe it will wait till you get to Barnson.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.