Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share #2

Page 37 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 35 36 37 38 39 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 585 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 665
uaniquilt replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 2:51 PM

I read your blog on searching for and purchasing a longarm.  I have a 26" Innova if you have any questions I can help you with.

Chris

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
Denise replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 5:36 PM

Love the circle quilt! The quilting around the circles really make them pop! Nice work,

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,285
Points 26,375
Elizabeth replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 11:00 PM

I am finally back to quilting after a six month forced leave due to health issues.  I have been having fun working with panto's.  This is my latest one.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:34 AM

Elizabeth - that is fantastic - I hope I feel comfortable one of these days to show my work - I have't done anything like that yet - just really simple things - to get the feel of my machine and the rhythmn that it takes to do it - I am still jerky at times and know part is me and part is getting my rollers to roll evenly in their ridges - my machine is brand new and I am brand new to long arm quilting - have done over 100 on my domestic but this is something new and wonderful to me and I am so excited.

Your work is outstanding.  thank you so much for sharing with all of us!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 247,032
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:51 AM

I am really new on this thread - never came over to the Long Arm thread as I knew I wanted one so bad but our finances were not so that I could get one.... now DH is out of work - he got baptized - we are tithing and the money was there for me to get one - I am amazed to say the least - everything just fell into place - the Lord answered a long wished for prayer although I never prayed for one I just prayed to be able to find a way to quilt my quilts.  I didn't think I would be able to stand long enough at one to do the work - that to has happened.  

I have bought a Juki Virtuoso - not sure why I went with the Juki but 20 years ago I had heard about the Juki industrial machines and that they were the best made in the business - this stuck with me so when Barbara told me she had a friend who had a long arm that he was basically giving away my heart soared - it ended up just being a frame for long arm quilting - I have one of those - the Gracie frame - and it was what I had for years been looking for a machine to go on... so that started me wanting and dreaming again...

I found a Juki Virtuoso that the deal was awesome and decided to try - DH and I talked about it and he knew how much I had wanted to try this for years and had put it off for other things over and over - so he said GO FOR IT...

So I did... I bought my Juki and watched DH put the frame all together - then set the machine on top and finally I got to turn her on... she prrrrd... it was so sweet.

I have had some problems... I had some tension issues - I posted all about that on my thread about getting my Juki - but I learned so so much.  things I probably should have known all along but having never worked on a long arm didn't process them...

But now that problem is all solved - I have my 5th quilt loaded and am hoping absolutely no tension issues with this one so that no top thread shows at all on the bottom... It is the largest of the quilts that I have quilted so far... A good queen size quilt for my middle grandson for christmas - a big pattern too - one that I probably shouldn't have made but I saw the picture liked the doggy fabric and bought the kit online seeing - not in person - pictures make quilts looks so different in size... the blocks on this are I believe 16" so big blocks... a simple star block too - I believe it is probably the LaMoyne star pattern... I plan on doing a stencil motif in each of the blocks and dog bones in the borders... I have had it loaded for a few days now...

But because of my health issues have not been in to start sewing on it.  I hope to do some of that today!  I just have to pull the batting up and pull the top up over it - then start quilting...

I am going to go back and read this thread from the beginning and start learning from all you wonderful ladies who have posted on here.  If you want to learn more about my tension issues - go over to my Juki thread - I don't want to repost what you might have already learned.  I am going to continue my journey over there and what I learn with each quilt as I go.  I plan on coming over here for questions - so expect to see me a lot as I know questions are going to arise as I go forward...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 8:20 AM

Thea,

Sounds like a wonderful purchase. Juki is a fantastic work horse.  I have a friend who had a Juki (short) and she must of done thousands of quilts on it over the last 14 yrs. She recently sold it and it's still going strong. Her daughter purchased a HQ Avante for her shop as a replacement but she misses her Juki to some extent.  Glad you took the plunge.  Hope you have a pain free day.

I'm very happy to see this thread taking off again!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 8:22 AM

Elizabeth,

Aren't pantos fun? I love doing them as well as the free motion. Great job on your quilt. You'll have to post a finished picture of the overall quilt. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,285
Points 26,375
Elizabeth replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 8:28 AM

Thea and Ramona, thank you.  I am loving Pantos an Thea, yes, there is a learning curve!!!!!  I was quite surprised as like you I had done hundreds on my domestic machine.  I bought a used baby lock Jewel and love it. I have one customer I do quilts for but due to my health am not looking to really do this as a business.  Keep quilting and you will get better and better.  If you are interested in pantos Urban Elemtz has a pants club where you get a full set for 19.95 a month.  I have really built up my library by doing this.   

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 8:33 AM

Elizabeth,

Thank you. Checking out their site now!  Lots of interesting designs. I'll probably just buy as I need one but that monthly club does sound pretty neat. Have to put their site in my favorites.

Thanks again!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 505
J.P. replied on Mon, Sep 15 2014 11:26 AM

Thea,

I'm so happy for you.  I wish I had room for a frame, but I don't.  I have a Handiquilter Sixteen on a sit-down table like the Babylok Tiara.  It is a longarm machine ad could be put on a frame if I had room.

Thank you for sharing about your DH getting baptized and the tithing. God is so good isn't He?  My DH and I have experienced the same affect on our finances since we've retired.  The money just seems to be there when we need it the most!

I don't share often but just felt impressed to express my joy for you and congrats on your new "baby".

JP

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 699
Points 13,285
Michelle replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:14 AM

Elizabeth, 

What lovely quilting on this, I really like the points.  Did you do this as a pantograph or free hand?  I have only done free hand so far.  I have a few of the pantographs, but haven't tried them out so far.  Any pointers? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,285
Points 26,375
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:32 AM

Michelle, this is about my seventh pantograph and I love them.  I started out using groovy boards, it allowed me time to get used to the machine and deal with thread issues without having to worry about the pattern, I liken it to riding a bike with training wheels.  I have heard people worry about lining up but I find that is not a problem if you do one thing.  When you are done with your row BEFORE you advance your quilt put your needle down on a point on the TOP of the pattern.  The patterns have part of the pattern at the bottom, advance your quilt until your laser light hits the corresponding point in the pattern.  Fix your top, align the stylist light  double check it!!! And off you go on the next row.  Gets easier with every one.  I started with a VERY simple panto a meander with roses and have worked my way up to the more complicated ones.  Hope this made sense.  Here is an example of a row I just advanced from the back and from the front

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 699
Points 13,285
Michelle replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:20 AM

Thanks Elizabeth,

That does make sense.  Maybe this next week, when we get home from Vacation (have been in Alaska for 3+ months), I can get a few more quilts on the longarm. I had finished up most of them, left on the trip with just hand work on the binding.  I did get 2 tops finished while traveling, so think they would be good ones to practice on. Now that I see that, I'm excited to try something new.  Will post pics when I get started on this.  Thank you!! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 9:24 AM

Elizabeth,

Great tips on panto quilting. 

I have looked and looked up to page 51 at Urban Elementz thinking you may have gotten that pantograph from there. No luck. Figured I'd give up and ask you where you got it and the name, if you don't mind. Really neat. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Wed, Sep 17 2014 11:10 AM

Elizabeth. Thanks for the pictures! I've not used a panto yet, but want to. This was my biggest question. I, too, would like to know your favorite sources for pantos.

Sharon

Page 37 of 40 (586 items) « First ... < Previous 35 36 37 38 39 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use