Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 85 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 83 84 85 86 87 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 11:36 AM | Locked

Aloha Everyone, I used to be a regular but I've been gone for some time now. My full time job got in the way. I really need some help though. I do quilts for children that are receiving homes through Habitat for Humanity. I have committed to a quilt for a 12 year old girl who wants a blue Harry Poter quilt. Fool that I am, my first clue should have come when NO ONE from my 50 member quilt guild volunteered for this one, ever one for the underdog, my hand shot up. I have been looking for Harry Potter fabric everywhere. I've seen some on ebay but with my job I can never seem to be available when the bidding ends. I just returned from a trip to Southern California where I searched fabric stores from Thousand oaks to San Diego, to no avail. Is there anyone out there that may be sitting on a panel or something that would be willing to sell it to me?? I really don't want to let this child down. Please, help me if you can or if you know a source, point me in their direction. Thank you so much!! Deb

Deb

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310
Brigit-Carol replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 12:39 PM | Locked

From doing a quick search, it appears HP fabric is pretty rare (and expensive) these days.  If you can't find any, you might consider doing a colouring book quilt.  I saw one being quilted at my local shop a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing.  The person had taken colouring book pages and somehow transferred the design to white quilt blocks, then just coloured them with crayolas.  Apparently when they are heat set by an iron, the crayola does not fade.  The shop owner said more shading can be done after the intial heat setting to darken the colours.  I really was amazed.  The quilt I saw had 12" blocks of comics interspersed with 12" blocks of another fabric.  You could perhaps find some blue starry fabric?  I think I saw some on E-Bay on buy-it-now.   (I searched under Harry Potter Fabric using buy it now as a filter and some nice fabrics came up that would coordinate although they were not license HP fabric.)

Here is a link to a HP colouring book that isn't childish.  http://www.amazon.com/Potter-Deluxe-Coloring-Movies-Tie-In/dp/0545082153/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350840363&sr=8-1&keywords=harry+potter+coloring+book#_

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 1:14 PM | Locked

Hi Brigit-Carol,  Thanks for the hint. I may consider that even though I've never attempted a crayon quilt. I'm still hoping for something I can piece but I really appreciate you taking the time to look into it. You've peaked my interest in in the process and I may have to play with it. I think I'll order that coloring book. I had seen i t on Amazon and considered applique but it's not my preferred style. Thanks again!!

Deb

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,233
Points 35,340
Linda replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 3:10 PM | Locked

Deb, did you try E-quilter?

Beautiful quilt, Patricia. Tammy, great job.

Today I started quilting the quilt for Indy's trainer. I'm taking it nice and slow since it's the first quilt that I'm  doing some free motion. You don't really see it on the front, but you sure do on the back. I'm also sewing the binding on an angel wrap. I need to get more things in the works. I can't stand having so little to work on at one time.

Hugs, Linda

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,832
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 3:14 PM | Locked

Debbie:
12 year old girl who wants a blue Harry Poter quilt.
\

Debbie - I found a shop that has 3 yards left and it is blue...http://www.karensquiltshop.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?keywords=harry%20potter&tracking4=search%20harry%20potter  I'll keep checking the shops for you - I found one that has some Owl fabric that was under the HP search - if you want that let me know.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310
Brigit-Carol replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:25 PM | Locked

Thea - you are a much better searcher than I am!  Didn't find anything like that except on E-Bay and it was very pricey.

I'm working on a swap for another forum -- rustic cabin with fall colours.  We need to make 15 blocks plus one hostess block.  Not sure I'm real happy with the way the first one came out, which is what I had planned for the swap members -- it's a bit bright for a rustic swap.  And I've already made all the flying geese--FINALLY found a method I like.  The other was to be the hostess block but I like that one better as it cries "rustic".  It's an easy one to make and I do have enough fabric and I can always use the flying geese in another project.  Hmmm.  Decisions, decisions.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,720
Ginny replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:29 PM | Locked

Well Belfrybat,  It is about as bright as the colors that I saw alonng the roadside today when I went out.   Beautiful     Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:31 PM | Locked

Debbie:
Please, help me if you can or if you know a source, point me in their direction. Thank you so much!! Deb

Debbie, The Paper Piecing group did a HP quilt and it was fabulous - if the pattern is still available that might be an option.   Paper Piecing

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:17 PM | Locked

Thea:

Debbie:
12 year old girl who wants a blue Harry Poter quilt.
\

Debbie - I found a shop that has 3 yards left and it is blue...http://www.karensquiltshop.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?keywords=harry%20potter&tracking4=search%20harry%20potter  I'll keep checking the shops for you - I found one that has some Owl fabric that was under the HP search - if you want that let me know.

Thanks Thea, I think I picked some of that up in California last week. (I bought so much fabric and books I had to ship it to myself so I'll have to wait and see) I was hoping for something more specific to Harry Potter. My boxes should be here Monday or Tuesday so I can check then. If it's not I may try to get the wizard fabric. Thanks!

Deb

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:19 PM | Locked

Brigit-Carol ,I like the colors , they look really good to me ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 8,285
Debbie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:31 PM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

Debbie:
Please, help me if you can or if you know a source, point me in their direction. Thank you so much!! Deb

Debbie, The Paper Piecing group did a HP quilt and it was fabulous - if the pattern is still available that might be an option.   Paper Piecing

Hi Spudgrandma, It's nice to see you here. You were the first to great me when I originally joined a couple of years ago! I've done some paper piecing. I saw the blocks & quilt you mentioned. It could be just perfect. Is there a way to get the patterns? I joined the paper piecing group but I didn't see it. Have I missed it? I think I have a month to complete it.  I really don't want to let this child down. I just presented the last one I did for a 16 year old girl that wanted pink Hawaiian. She just got her new home. Thank you!

Deb

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,406
Points 61,965
Bonita replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:39 PM | Locked

Brigit-Carol, both are very pretty but I'm drawn more to the first one. I guess i just like the more colorful ones.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 5:43 PM | Locked

Deb if you go back to the group ,hit pages and the link will come up .all the patterns are on the link  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 7:03 PM | Locked

Debbie:

Hi Spudgrandma, It's nice to see you here. You were the first to great me when I originally joined a couple of years ago! I've done some paper piecing. I saw the blocks & quilt you mentioned. It could be just perfect. Is there a way to get the patterns? I joined the paper piecing group but I didn't see it. Have I missed it? I think I have a month to complete it.  I really don't want to let this child down. I just presented the last one I did for a 16 year old girl that wanted pink Hawaiian. She just got her new home. Thank you!

Thank you Debbie, it is so good to be back.

The pattern is still available according to Barbara. I did not actually do the project but did see some of the quilts and they were amazing!

Barbara:

Deb if you go back to the group ,hit pages and the link will come up .all the patterns are on the link  Barbara

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,026
Points 169,578
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 8:51 PM | Locked

Brigit-Carol, I like them both.  We have colors like the first one in MA, just beautiful and brilliant.  

Would you share your method for flying geese?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 85 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 83 84 85 86 87 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use