Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 136 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 134 135 136 137 138 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,925
Points 125,040
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:39 AM | Locked

Thea:
I did buy a new pattern for a Turkey placemat - am thinking I am a month behind - got my Sew Spooky quilt for Halloween done a month after the time frame and now am buying Thanksgiving placemat patterns... They will be ready for next year -

Thea, one nice thing about being late for this year, you are really early for next year!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,925
Points 125,040
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:41 AM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:

Judy,

Your turkey is adorable!   Anxious to see what you do with next embroidery block. The one you show in the picture is wonderful...reminds me of the old sepia tone photos.

Thanks. That's one reason I'm a bit reluctant to do any coloring, I don't want to ruin the old time photo look. And, if something can be ruined, trust me, I'm your girl!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:42 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
If a person were going to add color to an embroidery project like this, would it be added just after tracing the design and before sewing with floss?  Is it possible to add color later without getting it on the floss?

From personal experience the coloring process should be completed before you work with the floss. It isn't just worrying about getting it on the floss but getting the area next to the floss line colored in without background still showing. Also if using crayons it needs to be heat set and that flattens the floss. Here is a shot of one I did some years ago.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,694
Points 179,533
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:46 AM | Locked

J, you should be proud of yourself, I am of you.  I love your design and your colors are perfect with it.  I would submit this to some magazines as a first design, first attempt on a sewing machine, it may get some of those men on the fence out there to dive right in and give it a go.  Art is art weather it's on a canvas or represented with fabrics.  You did a wonderful job!  Can't wait to see what you create next.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,694
Points 179,533
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:50 AM | Locked

Judy, I love your turkey and your embroidery is awesome!  Can't wait to see more of it, love the color floss you are using.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,925
Points 125,040
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:51 AM | Locked

Agnes:
From personal experience the coloring process should be completed before you work with the floss. It isn't just worrying about getting it on the floss but getting the area next to the floss line colored in without background still showing. Also if using crayons it needs to be heat set and that flattens the floss

Agnes, I love your quilt. The coloring looks great. Did you use regular Crayola crayons. I see that Pentel has fabric crayons available. Has anyone used them and are they better than Crayola?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,694
Points 179,533
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:53 AM | Locked

Angele, good luck on your goal, keeping my fingers crossed you make it.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,925
Points 125,040
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:56 AM | Locked

Marie:
Can't wait to see more of it, love the color floss you are using

Thanks Marie, it's DMC Nbr 840. You would not believe how long I stood in the aisle agonizing which floss to buy. Is this too dark? Oh dear, maybe that one is too light? Too bright? No, maybe not.  Once I decided I bought all 10 shanks that were on the shelf. I don't know how much I will need but it's all they had and I didn't want to chance running out.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,694
Points 179,533
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:02 AM | Locked

Agnes, such a sweet quilt, I love your cute little puppies!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,894
Points 69,195
Bonita replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 11:39 AM | Locked

Agnes, your puppies are so cute.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:05 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

Judy T-Bellingham:

I'm debating using crayons to add a touch of very slight color here and there. I probably won't as I'm afraid I would ruin it. All the blocks will have the same color embroidery floss.

This will be very pretty, Judy.  I can't wait to see your personalized blocks.

If a person were going to add color to an embroidery project like this, would it be added just after tracing the design and before sewing with floss?  Is it possible to add color later without getting it on the floss?

Great block Judy!  I must have missed this previously...congrats to DH on a beautiful sketch.  Love the "Nooksack River" sign!!!  (BTW, this could easily be digitized for machine embroidery...thought you might like to know that...LOL.)  IMHO, I think this would be beautiful as a fall scene with the trees shaded with mottled colors of light greens, reds, yellows, oranges; deeper greens on the hillsides and evergreen trees. I agree, I would do the shading before I added the stitching...just suttle, hints of color. What shade of embroidery thread were you thinking of using?

We're drowning over here on the dry side of the mountains, so bet you are almost underwater by now...no kidding!!!  I just wish (and I know Gini does too) the snow level would drop so all this moisture would be snow for us instead of all this wet stuff...yuk...enough already!  I know, we are the wierd ones...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:15 PM | Locked

I forgot to say that I have used crayons...as Agnes said, be sure to heat set...but not Pentel, so can't comment there.  I would practice on a scrap of the fabric first until you get the feel for how much shading you want (hold it next to your piece for comparison).  I found that you can kind of "blend" the crayon markings into the fabric by moistening the end of your finger and rubbing the fabric so the crayon lines aren't so "streeky".  Think about using the crayon on paper when you were a kid...if you went very gently, you could get more of a suttle blending, but on fabric you will not get any color.  You need to press a little harder, but then get the streeking...so blend a little with a wet finger...anyway, that worked for me.  But, be sure and practice first on a scrap!  I did this on my Goose Tracks quilt and it did work!

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:21 PM | Locked

Ms MoomMist:

Judy T-Bellingham:

One more project I'm working on here and there. It will take me a long time but I'm in no hurry. This is just the first block I completed from the pattern packet, Vintage Tin. I am changing the block designs to reflect local scenes. This one isn't changed much, I just added the name of the local river. It ticks off the cats when I'm embroidering on a block, as they can't get up on my lap.

I'm debating using crayons to add a touch of very slight color here and there. I probably won't as I'm afraid I would ruin it. All the blocks will have the same color embroidery floss.

Judy, we are doing Vintage Tin BOM also. I'm working on the motorcycle block and DH is going to get the job of cutting the piecing blocks lol.

I've heard the technique about using the crayons and I'm looking forward to trying it. I figured, I try it on some small first and see what it looks like and if I like it.

Best of luck and happy embroidering

xoxoxo

Judy, yes we got it online at Quilting on the Bay - http://store.quiltingbythebay.com/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=774&page_id=23&Item_ID=9733 There is a registration fee, I always think it is worth the extra because they usually give you better service.

xoxoxo,

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,925
Points 125,040
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:32 PM | Locked

Donna. This isn't one of George's sketches. It's from the pattern except I added the river name. This block is already embroidered. I'm just using one color floss throughout. 

The rain has let up a bit but we are so soggy on this side of the mountains. Of course that's pretty much par for the course. LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:44 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:
Donna. This isn't one of George's sketches.
Judy T-Bellingham:

Donna. This isn't one of George's sketches. It's from the pattern except I added the river name. This block is already embroidered. I'm just using one color floss throughout. 

The rain has let up a bit but we are so soggy on this side of the mountains. Of course that's pretty much par for the course. LOL

Oops, sorry...but he does such nice work I really thought it was!  Now, I see the link to Crabapple Hill Studios.  The gal that was doing the machine embroidery workshop I attended in Spokane has Crabapple Hills permission to use their designs as a base for digitizing.  In fact, she uses one set for a digitizing class I want to take next spring!

I am ready to do a "Dry Dance"!!!

Winthrop, WA

Page 136 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 134 135 136 137 138 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use