Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 117 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 115 116 117 118 119 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:34 AM | Locked

Trying to work on some machine quilting today.  But I ran across this blog with some amazing hand pieced, hand-quilted, reproductions of antique quilts.  They are inspiring, no matter what kind of quilting you do.  Hope you enjoy looking at them and reading about them as much as I have!  Max

http://suegarman.blogspot.com/2012/11/bon-jour.html

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:53 AM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:

Hope you enjoy looking at them and reading about them as much as I have!  Max

http://suegarman.blogspot.com/2012/11/bon-jour.html

Oh my! They are wonderful but those little squares, I Don't Think So... :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,554
Points 246,007
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:56 AM | Locked

Nancy, Your sweatshirt is very darling.  I went to a retreat about 8 years ago where we made these.  I hope you wear yours more then I wear mine...teehee... they are darling though.  I love your chicken pin cushion.  I made some of those for my DSM and she loves them - just to put around the house as she doesn't sew...teehee... I bet you had fun though - learning all these new techniques.  

I do recommend doing the sweatshirts with good quality ones though - we had a few women at ours that just bought the really cheap ones at Wally World and regretted it.  I had one that I used from years and years ago... I knew I wouldn't miss it if I carved it up - it was a very big learning day for me though on deconstructing and reconstructing... we actually did a little fitting to the person... 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:57 AM | Locked

Nancy looks like you and Terri had a good time,I like the sweatshirt jackets. I think they look good . Your little pin cushions are adorable as well .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:03 AM | Locked

thanks for the link, max.   i've made a couple of sue garman quilts, she is quite a designer herself.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:46 PM | Locked

You're welcome, Gini!

I thought of you when I same some of those tiny tiny blocks and beautiful applique!   I can only dream of doing hand quilting like those ladies did.

Max

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:24 PM | Locked

Thea:
it was a very big learning day for me though on deconstructing and reconstructing... we actually did a little fitting to the person... 

I was able to lengthen the sleeves easily enough by changing the cuff measurment, but I would have liked to lengthen the body a bit and trim down those shoulders.  That's why I think it would be easier to start with cotton fleece and make your own base shirt and then embellish.  You could skip the deconstruction step then, too.  Oh well, live and learn!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,554
Points 246,007
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:34 PM | Locked

Nancy - but wouldn't that be a whole new process and not the remaking of an old sweatshirt into something beautiful...teehee... We did use extra large sweat shirts.  I had a XL from a long time ago - I used to wear it over sweaters and shirts for snow mobiling.  I really do like yours though and hope that it doesn't sit in the closet like mine does -   and yes we do live and learn - at least I hope we do...teehee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,554
Points 246,007
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 4:02 PM | Locked

Oh I am so mad at myself - argh!  I may just leave it be though - I was too tired last night to be sewing and put the right border of the bats on the wrong direction - so either I frog it out or leave it as is... I know I will take it off - but not today... I am so so mad at myself...

If you look closely, you can see that I did the spiderwebs on this one in white thread!  two reasons - one I only had enough black embroidery floss left to do the spiders and two I got to thinking that spiders don't make black spider webs but they spin white ones that kind of glisten... so decided to make them white - you can see the very nicely when you are in front of the quilt but in the picture the white doesn't come out too well... 

I am still so mad at myself about that border - I did the pressing and didn't notice - I hung it up and took the pictures and then saw it... why oh why did I notice...teehee... but I will correct it - won't take that long - just not tonight!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 4:14 PM | Locked

These are the blocks I've finished so far. They are from PP2007. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 4:53 PM | Locked

Fun quilt, Thea.  I love the quilt hanging on the side of the house and the witch's shoes and hat roof in the center panel.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 5:13 PM | Locked

This is the PP2007 quilt. I have the fabrics for the blocks but will buy other fabrics for the borders. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 5:22 PM | Locked

Very pretty, Christine.  You have a good start on it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:00 PM | Locked

thea, i've done my share of picking out stitches and i don't wish it on anyone.  love your quilt and i like the white web.

christine, this is going to be a beautiful quilt

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,554
Points 246,007
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:19 PM | Locked

Gini - I picked them all out and I sewed the border back the way it was supposed to be... argh!  I do hate making mistakes - and this one was just a dumb one... but it had to be done.... I had some friends stop by as I was doing it and had them come back and talk to me while I was doing it so it seemed to go easily as I had friends keeping me company... Yes, it is done now and tomorrow will get them both basted and ready for quilting... the thread for Rita's quilt should be her on Friday according to the notice of UPS delivery...so the next three days will be quilting and working on Sew Spooky's - then they will be put away till next year.  I promise myself to get these quilts quilted before I start another project no matter how much another one appeals to me.

I would love to make a deal with someone who loves to quilt the quilts but doesn't like so much piecing them together - that I'll piece and you quilt... I'll make quilts for you if you will quilt mine... oh to have  friend like that - I have heard of teams like this - I need a quilter...teehee... I now think I have 20 quilt tops that need to be quilted... I have got to stop starting new ones and quilt these... Can you imagine what a good quilter I would be with all that practice...teehee... But Sew Spooky #2 is done and waiting to be basted tomorrow...

Page 117 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 115 116 117 118 119 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use