Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #6

Page 104 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 102 103 104 105 106 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,777 Replies | 66 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 11:38 AM | Locked

you know, max, i'll have to say that my sam is a little quicker off the mark than your boy.   if  sam saw i was frustrated enough to ask him to break a doo hickey off one of my feet, he'ld take one look at me, and not ask any questions.  he would break it right there and then for fear of the hammer being used on him.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 11:38 AM | Locked

Bev :

Here is a lap quilt that I started last year and even machine quilted myself (for practice) which turned out good enough for me.  I finished the binding today. Don't look to close. I know there are puckers :-)

Very nice Bev, the colors are gorgeous and I love the binding...I like to do mine that way when I can.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 12:11 PM | Locked

Joe, I love your quilt and glad you and your wife are going to keep it.  Are your solid squares gray?

from TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 12:15 PM | Locked

Thanks every one for the kind words about my quilt.  It was my first attempt at machine quilting.My husband likes it and that works for me!!  : )

Oh, I couldn't tell you how many times I took blocks apart because the points were off. It was a learning experience at least I hope I don't make the same mistakes again but I will have my fingers crossed next time I make stars.

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 12:57 PM | Locked

Bev, I love your scrappy stars - looks so warm and inviting - anyone snuggling in it will be warm and toasty and secure.  Oh doesn't that make you so mad when you see a point slightly off - drives me nuts - I try so hard and then wham - argh!  It is an experience in patience that we continue to make quilts...teehee...

I am working on 3 projects right now ... the backing fabric for Rita's dog quilt arrived so now I am going to wash it as it is a batik flannel and I have never used one before and want to see if it shrinks and to absolutely make sure it doesn't run... would hate that - it is pretty though and goes great with her quilt...

then i am working on block 16 of the quilt I am making for Jay and found I have to frog part of block #10... found a mistake - so far the only one I see but I am sure there are more...

And I am finishing up Sew Spookys - they need to get done and I had hoped to have them done all ready but alas - I got side tracked but am in gear now... hopefully will put at least 8 hours at the sewing machine today... not sure but am going to try... 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:04 PM | Locked

Thea, thanks for the comments, warm and toasty is what I am going for.  What are Sew Spookys? Can you post picture? 

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:05 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
So I started measuring and checking, etc., and my 1/4 inch foot is off by about 1 1/2 threads.
 Max... oh my - were they 1 1/2 threads too big or too small... I usually stitch 1- 1 1/2 threads inside of my 1/4" foot - I think the one on my Janome might be off but I just use it as a guide and am inside of it - but if I had to go on the outside of it guess i would be snipping it off too...

Hope it works better for you now!

I know about the hands - mine hate me - but the past few days it has been the whole arm that has been aching... I do not like the cold at all - told DH that when we move to MN that the house is going to have to be very well insulated so that I can use the minimum amount of heat to have my house toasty - as I know we are going to be on a very strict budget for the first few years till he gets established at a new job... I am hopeful... I know that I can't deal with the cold at all and this 60 degree weather here is driving my pain levels high - thank goodness I have quilting to do to take my mind somewhere else... 

My room is not toasty right now - DH didn't get the box made outside the back door - he is on a different schedule starting today though so will be home shortly afte 2 p.m. and says that he will get it done... my poor fur babies would be driving me nuts if they couldn't go out so I am trying to be good and am just bundled up - not used to wearing sweat shirts in the house - sweat pants all the time - but my new Ghouls Night out Sweat shirt is getting a work out - it is adorable though...lol  ... I'll have to take a picture to show you - all month I have been wearing my Halloween/October shirts and it has been fun - even though no one but me can see them... it lifts my mood...

Now to get up and start working on Sew Spooky - or maybe I ought to finish 16 since it is setting on the sewing table... 

or maybe just snuggle with China for a bit longer...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:09 PM | Locked

Bev :

Thea, what are Sew Spookys? Can you post picture? 

I have 2 of these I am making - mine are slightly different - when you see them - my candy corn I have made with the dark fabrics on the bottom - I wasn't paying attention and since to me the candy corn are dark on the bottom I just cut my fabrics to do that  - then I looked at the pattern... so slightly different.  Mine are ready to be put together - all sections are done and all the applique has been secured - can't remember if I used satin stitch or blanket stitch  - I think I did blanket stitch on this one... where is my memory going... argh!!!

But this is the Sew Spooky Quilt I am making... I love Quilt Company patterns and I think this is #5 or 6 of theirs that I have done - first time they have done Halloween quilts - most are Soft and Sweet quilts with quilts hanging off some part of the quilt.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:10 PM | Locked

Thank you for kind words. Solid squares, large ones with star quilted and center of each nine patch, are this sage green striped like maybe it was an upholstery stuff. Thrift store bag. It's kinda like heavy mattress ticking.  Rule 2, you know, had to use what I could scratch up from scrap pile on hand. Backing is a thrift store sheet, all others random scraps on hand.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:37 PM | Locked

quilting got postponed again yesterday Sil had flat tire ran to repair .DD came we watched Tigers lose series. Made my Chili today .  I might start the quilting tonight. Still trying to prep outside for winter in Mi.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:45 PM | Locked

Thea,

try the lightweight thermal wear, under you clothes. Works real well under pants. I used to do home health visits and take coat on and off each house was a burden, plus I was continually leaving coat in homes. I bought a set of black from dollar general I think it was. Even bought a printed top that would peak out undr my scrub top.  I found it much more comfortable than other methods of layering. But I love sweatshirts and sometimes where then until the days of 90 degree weather. Also maybe try knee high socks.

hope you get warmer!

Nan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 1:49 PM | Locked

Thea:

Bev :

Thea, what are Sew Spookys? Can you post picture? 

I have 2 of these I am making - mine are slightly different - when you see them - my candy corn I have made with the dark fabrics on the bottom - I wasn't paying attention and since to me the candy corn are dark on the bottom I just cut my fabrics to do that  - then I looked at the pattern... so slightly different.  Mine are ready to be put together - all sections are done and all the applique has been secured - can't remember if I used satin stitch or blanket stitch  - I think I did blanket stitch on this one... where is my memory going... argh!!!

But this is the Sew Spooky Quilt I am making... I love Quilt Company patterns and I think this is #5 or 6 of theirs that I have done - first time they have done Halloween quilts - most are Soft and Sweet quilts with quilts hanging off some part of the quilt.

Wow Thea, this is stunning, Halloween not a big thing over here, but i have to say im tempted between you and Gini you both do nothing but lead me astray.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 2:00 PM | Locked

Thea, I love your Sew Spooky quilt.  Did you buy this pattern on line or at a quilt shop? I went to the web site but did not see any pattern called Sew Spooky

from TN

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 2:13 PM | Locked

gini:
you know, max, i'll have to say that my sam is a little quicker off the mark than your boy.   if  sam saw i was frustrated enough to ask him to break a doo hickey off one of my feet, he'ld take one look at me, and not ask any questions.  he would break it right there and then for fear of the hammer being used on him

Gini,

I fairness to poor DH, he is actually still pretty much a 'husband-in-training'. We have only been together 9+ years...before that he was a bachelor. He hadn't even had roommates or live-ins until I came along. (Maybe that should have been a clue...ya think?) He still thinks women should be logical in their thinking.  He just couldn't understand why I would want to break a perfectly good 1/4 inch foot. I think the word 'hammer' brought him around to my way of thinking...he WAS afraid I'd use it on him.  I wasn't...I was going to ask him to hold the foot while I pounded on it, however!  LOL!!

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 2:57 PM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

We did not get quite that drastic Max, we did not use a hammer...:) But, I did find a reasonably priced 1/4" foot for my Janome (they do not make one, that I could find, without the guard) and I had my hubby take the guard off. I decided that I was pushing my fabric up too tight to the guard and this caused my measurement to be off. That appears to have been my problem as I'm not having any trouble now and I was not having a problem with a scant 1/4" on my brother without the guard.

I probably have the same 1/4 inch foot for my Janome. I have realized this morning, since the guide has been removed, that I can now see where the fabric actually is lining up with the foot. Before removing the guide there was a 'dark spot' right in front of the foot...a shadow caused by the guide. I have also put my Sew Very Smooth guide in place so the strips are feeding in correctly for a nice scant 1/4 inch seam. I normally use the SVS guide when making wider seams, and have loved it. It is working really nicely in front of the foot feed now.  here is a website for the SVS guide. http://www.sewverysmooth.com/

I'm not trying to promote the Sew Very Smooth guide. But it has really helped me when I've used it. Easy enough for me to install and remove even with my bad hands.  And I can see the fabric against the white color, also. Old weak eyes need lots of help! Especially since I usually do most of my sewing late at night.

Max

Page 104 of 252 (3778 items) « First ... < Previous 102 103 104 105 106 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use