Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 94 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 92 93 94 95 96 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,665
JodyS replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:38 PM | Locked

Aside from being aggravated at the site being down I was just aggravated and sad in general.

You see, my closest neighbor's home burned to the ground Friday evening. I was in IL and knew nothing until yesterday at 2PM CST. They were able to flee their home as it burned with nothing but the clothes on their backs! Everything is lost but at least they are alive. Since we are all so rural and surrounded by National forest you pretty much just watch your home burn if it starts on fire. Although we have volunteer fire departments, it takes a while to get out here. They came from 2 states also. That has prompted my husband to invest in a huge pump with a regulation size fire hose so we could get water from the lake out front. Wouldn't have helped my neighbor though as their home was on top of a very steep rocky crag.

I'll do whatever to help them and was over there today...oh my just ashes and a burned foundation. Any quilting is on hold for a few days. So sad. I think I'll grab my other friend and put our heads together on a quilt for the neighbor.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:59 PM | Locked

JodyS. My heart goes out to your neighbors. I pray that never happens to us. I can't imagine how that kind of terror would feel. To lose everything is devastating. But, thank God, they escaped with their lives. Things, through dear, are still just things. I pray that everyone in the area will pull together and help them back on their feet. And, I pray, they had homeowners ins.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,665
JodyS replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:15 PM | Locked

Thanks Sukochi. They did have insurance. That's the 1 thing everyone in this area does have. And you're right about things just being things. My neighbor lady was a very craft-oriented person and said losing all her crafty things was awful but she'll enjoy replacing them. Helps to have a positive attitude because, hey, what can one do, you know?

I did call my quilting friend and she thinks making them a quilt would be a great idea so we're definitely doing that! That will make them smile.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,253
Points 173,013
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:53 PM | Locked

JodyS, how horrible for your neighbors, any children?  Pets?  Prayers going up for them.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 7:18 PM | Locked

Jody - so sad to hear of your neighbors loss.  I hope insurance doesn't jerk them around and settles swiftly so they can get on with their lives. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 7:25 PM | Locked

Busy busy day at the store today.  It was Strip Club Sat. and boy was there some great show and tell!!!  Then Sherrie "did her thing" - walking everyone through this months quilt.  After that everyone hit the shop.  It kept all of us "fabric divas" busy cutting fabric for quite a while.  Then there was the  usual Sat. traffic in the shop.  We stayed busy until we closed at 4. 

Came home and took a quick nap before handling the critters next door and taking my two characters for a walk.  I was refilling their water buckets when Dave came out and informed me that he had already taken them for a walk before I got home.  Do you think Mac or Autumn told me ---- NO.  Just let Mom take us for another walk.  Oh well - they should sleep good tonight.  :o) 

We were planning on watching Georgia play South Carolina but since SC has already scored 3 touchdowns and GA has zip and it is still the first quarter, I figured I would come and see whats going on here. 

What happened to our gals in Iowa???  Lois Lane is falling down on the job. 

Good to see everyone from the Leavenworth retreat arriving home safely.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 7:36 PM | Locked

Judy T-Bellingham:

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I not renewed before this started, I would not have now, for sure. I love you all dearly, but in this economy, my money could be better spent someplace else.

We don't have to be paid members to have access to this site. The paid membership just gives us the extra goodies like 10% discount at Joann's and QNNTV and some other discounts.

I probably won't pay for the premium membership when it comes due in the spring and I'll be sure to let Admin know why. I figure that will be my most effective way of protest.

Somehow I managed to renew twice so I am here until 2014.  I like you two probably wouldn't have renwed had this been going on when I got my renewal forms.  It really gets disgusting.  I have been having problems posting in the show and tell for quite a while now and no one can seen to get the issue resolved.  Surely there are other webmasters or whatever that they could get to administer this site that would do a better job.  Look at Facebook and those other sites that have millions of user and not near the problems that we are putting up with.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100
Margaret Weber replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:01 PM | Locked

I am glad that I did not renew my membership.  I signed up last year on our wedding anniversary and since we were still living in the hotel on our anniversary this year and I had no job yest I decided to hold off, good decision and I will not be renewing it either.  I wonder how many new costumers that they have lost.  It is sad to see so many problems as I really have enjoyed this community.

It is finally cool here and I love it.  We are thankfully done with the air conditioner and the ridiculous high electrical bills.  We are also done with sleeping the windows open so for now I do not need to go rooster hunting.  Seriously while we live on an acre we are in the middle of town not the country but here in certain locations it is zoned so that you can have horses.  Actually you can have a pig and that counts as a dog, oh you can only have 4 pets.  But in certain zoned areas there can be horses and chickens and roosters.  Seriously I am not a country girl.

I am happy for the cooler temps, now I can do more baking.  My latest thing has been baked oatmeal, oh so yummy.  DH loves to learn new things and since we cook together he wants to tackle homemade pie crust.  To that I say have fun honey.  I remember watching my mom make it and then my grandma tried to teach me, well my great aunt was visiting for Thanksgiving one year and she taught me how to make them, you go to the store and buy one.  Always worked for me but I do know the fresh made is better.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:47 PM | Locked

Margaret you crack me up. How's a city girl grow up in Billings?  Go to the Cooks Illustrated's web sight and get their recipe for never fail pie crust. I'll guarentee it works like a charm and your hubby will fall on the floor when he reads the list of ingredients. Hehehe

Jr finished his quilt top today. Now he says he's "all done" with his quilt and has asked his big sister to quilt it. Since DD is a pretty fair hand at FMQ I don't blame him. I told her that if she'd quilt it, i'd bind it for him. 'Should have a pic to post in a day or two...assumming the sight is up.

Interesting thing. When I taught DD and Ds1 to make their tops I had a lot more patience. I explained each step and why we did it... with Jr I just wanted him to "fallow directions and get the dang thing done already!! Yeesh!!" It seemed like every time we started to communicate,  we got interupted by a sibling and I felt pulled in too many directions to really be helpful.   ...Guess now I know why the worst teachers are burned-out teachers.  :(   It's a darn good thing that Jr is a good student and not afraid to ask questions! Pray I am more understanding and patient in the future..

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100
Margaret Weber replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:55 PM | Locked

CC, that is why I lived in the largest city in Montana, oh wait that would be because my parents raised us there, minus the four years we lived in Casper, Wyoming.  My dad greew up on a farm and all I have to say is thank goodness that was long done before I came around.  I will have to look that recipe up.  He actually like Cooks illustrated and Cook's Counrty on PBS.

I think we have less patience as we get older, or at least I do.  I think it is great that you teach the kids how to quilt and that they have the interest in it.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:57 PM | Locked

Went to the Mennonite country auction and relief sale today.  Helped out at the New Year's cookie booth.  bought some fabric and quilting books, and some old apple box labels.  Thought about, but did not bid on the adorable, sweet, soft, cuddly golden lab puppy.  DH was standing beside me, and so I just kept telling myself, "he'll just dig holes in my garden and pee on my plants. . ." 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Sat, Oct 6 2012 10:10 PM | Locked

thats good Patti, you be strong. I have to take one of my cats to the vet on tues as he has a chunk missing on his face. More of a scrape but he still needs to be checked.  NO MORE ANIMALS in my house.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:10 AM | Locked

Patti:
Thought about, but did not bid on the adorable, sweet, soft, cuddly golden lab puppy.  DH was standing beside me, and so I just kept telling myself, "he'll just dig holes in my garden and pee on my plants. . ." 

No truer words have been spoken!!!  Good for you Patti!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,302
Points 414,089
gini replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:24 AM | Locked

i finally got my pilot light lit.  it was a cold morning, inside and out. 

i spent the afternoon and evening hemming pants and getting several wildflowers ready for my next trip.   i should not have agreed to go on this trip, i had bad feelings about it.  my mom told me this morning that my dingbat cousin got us a condo with one bed,  hmm.  four maybe five women and one bed.  grrr. it's too late to cancel.   and i don't think it was very nice not to tell us about the bed situation until after we paid.  actually, she hasn't told me about the lack of beds.  i am going to be one grumpy gini in a couple of days.  it will be interesting to see how long she plans on not telling me about the bed issues.  is that not just plumb crazy.   first and last trip with this cousin.  on top of that, she informed us that it is illegal to rent these condos and that we are to say we are friends with the owner,  what?   now, she expects us to lie, too?    it's hard to lie when you're sleeping on the floor.  well, i guess you are already lying when you're on the floor  :  )     i'm ready to come home and i haven't even left yet.

if you hear about four women from idaho and one woman from connecticut camping out on the streets of new york this coming week, you'll know who it is.  or if you hear about a nasty case of cousincide occurring in NYC, that would be me.   i'm sure i can get my youngest aunt to hold her down. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 9:48 AM | Locked

It seems to me if there is only one bed, you pull straws, except for the cousin who is automaticly sleeping on the floor!!

Page 94 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 92 93 94 95 96 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use