Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 76 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 74 75 76 77 78 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:06 AM | Locked

A while ago a friend started his first business and asked me what advice I could give him as we'd owned several businesses (I am so not immune to flattery)  The best advice I could give him was to not hire anyone he couldn't look in the face and fire.  He actually looked thoughful for a moment and said he had planned on hiring a friend to help him out, just to get him over the hump and get the business rolling.  I just said if you can fire him and still keep him as a friend, go for it.  Sometimes it isn't worth hiring family ever, at all, at any time.  CC, Bossman has probably figured that out but he is stuck.  The only thing he can do is ease her out and not hire her back when she finds out that other employers are not like dear old dad. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:15 AM | Locked

Sukochi, beautiful driveway and beautiful house.  Everything looks so neat and clean and ready for winter.  Who's shoveling the driveway when the snow falls?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:17 AM | Locked

Leslie :

Well got the pig loaded up and my DSIL is taking her to the locker plant for me.  She had me covered head to toe in pig S--t, she was being contrary and didn't want to get in the trailer.   Oh but I will get the last laugh, when I have those pork chop frying in a pan

Leslie did the pig have a name?  So sad, from pet to pan.  : (

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:22 AM | Locked

chocake2:
From the sounds of it, Gini would have found a cork more useful then a sharp object,

Too funny CC, I agree, how disgusting was that!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:27 AM | Locked

Sukochi, love the new table.  The chairs look just fine with it.  What do the ones that you found look like?

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:33 AM | Locked

We have decided we like these chairs better, too. I like that their backs can be seen well over the table top. We wanted old chairs with the lower backs. But, know what do I do with these chairs to make them blend? I am thinking flat black. Any thoughts on this?

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:35 AM | Locked

gini:
  Little Matthew sailed through his 4 1/2 hour surgery, 45 minutes at the tail end was to repair a botched circumcision.

Thank the Lord, Gini.  Poor fella had a twofer.  When he's feeling a little better give him a hug from your QCA family.  And give the in-law a bottle of "Beano".

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:36 AM | Locked

Gini, I wondered about the relationship also.  I think it was good that they had you as substitute parents.  And I understand a little more about the dipsy parent you had to be with yesterday.  Oh how I remember the teenage years, especially for the girls.  And like yours, mine are now wonderful women who are family focused also.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:48 AM | Locked

Leslie :
 She had me covered head to toe in pig S--t, she was being contrary and didn't want to get in the trailer.   Oh but I will get the last laugh, when I have those pork chop frying in a pan

Would you want to get in into final ride to your execution? and, if we were trying to herd you into that ride, wouldn't WE be covered in quilt S--t???.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:50 AM | Locked

Marie:
 Who's shoveling the driveway when the snow falls?

Looked up your bio and I guess you'd need a broom rather than a shovel in Georgia, on the rare occasion you'd have snow.  : )

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:51 AM | Locked

Marie:

Sukochi, looked up your bio and I guess you'd need a broom rather than a shovel in Georgia, on the rare occasion you'd have snow.  : )

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:06 AM | Locked

Marie:

Marie:

Sukochi, looked up your bio and I guess you'd need a broom rather than a shovel in Georgia, on the rare occasion you'd have snow.  : )

Well, Marie, there was the blizzard of "93, which thankfully we missed, where it was all ice and no one could go anywhere for a week. If that happens we plan to be totally prepared for a just stay home warning. Our driveway is ribbed for traction, or so Jim said. I don't see any sign of that, though. Well, maybe in a few places. However, we are better off the the driveway next door, they are straight down from the street and their property just just a bit lower then us. I have seen people not be  able to get UP their driveway....in the summer. LOL

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 19,080
Melissa Halpain replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:35 AM | Locked

Well, today I am sitting at Starbucks waiting for my rental car to arrive. I am finally getting my air conditioner in the car fixed. And hopefully some other things that are driving me crazy. I have a 92 toyota carrola that is 5 speed standard transmission and 4 wheel drive. That means I can get out of town even when it snows. I am never getting rid of this car. It is so easy to drive. The car repair shop will probably have it for over a week so I have rented a car. Being in Northern California, I probably have at least 2 more months of hot weather. I can still use the air conditioning and have it ready for next year. It is usually between 95 and 100 degrees around here in the summer time and fall. My husband was approved for disability so now I can relax and know that my bills are going to get paid without too much stress.  We have no car payments or credit cards so not too many bills other than household bills.

I sure hope everyone has a great day.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:48 PM | Locked

Melissa - that sounds awesome - - getting the bills paid down is wonderful - we still have one car payment and soon will have another truck payment - sometime the end of this year - but we are almost back on track after Jay's layoff - amazing how that put us in the hole but we are climbing out if slowly.  I am so happy that your DH got his disability approved - to have that security is wonderful.  And a good car is a wonderful thing - I love my car and have about a year before it is paid off but it already is starting to have problems so we are thinking of trading it in before the excessive bills start - we are going to trade Jay's 96 chevy pickup in too - but with the other bills almost paid off we should be able to swing the new payments with no problems - I had hoped my car would last for a long time like the truck did - but last year had to replace the a/c unit and the window motors are squealing now - I have had this car in every 3,000 miles without missing any so it upsets me that it is starting these other problems - but cars just don't last like they used to.... oh well... we will be okay with it - and I am budgeting for it...lol

I am starting to pack for next week... Got the Pfaff in its carrier - got the medium size suitcase out and am figuring out what projects are going with me to work on - moving slowly today though - it is overcast and rained pretty hard last night so my arthritis which always hates me is kicking in... and I have so much still to do - have to wait till Friday to take my car in for its servicing for the road trip - was going to do it this morning but alas as I said arthritis is kicking my u know what...lol... so am doing the packing slowly - went through some stuff in my little corner and found my snowmen material for my snowmen blocks - and found some things i had purchased a while ago to bring with me - was fun - then found Christmas stuff I had purchased for the grandz - lol - was lost under my quilt stuff... have no idea why I put it over there... but found it... and now it is with the other things for Christmas... 

Oh and my new Halloween decorations arrived... teehee... got these big blow up decorations for the front yard - one is this big black cat that moves it head back and forth - my cats about freaked when we plugged it in to check it out - I'll take pictures after they are up in the front yard...DH is thrilled as he loves this time of year as much as I do - he is going to get my pumpkins down out of the attic and I have already pulled out my Halloween quilts to decorate the front room where Mom is - she is just shaking her head at me... but it is fun and as I told DH I never plan on growing up and am enjoying this...

So after I rest here and hopefully get some energy - it is back to packing and getting ready for my trip... I plan on cleaning out the inside of the car today too if the drizzle will stop long enough - we do have a garage but my car would never fit in it - DH has it full of his tool boxes - the riding lawn mower - the new chipper I got him - and all the rest of his stuff - it is becoming his man cave since I moved my sewing stuff back here when we moved Mom in... 

Now I really need to rest and read what everyone else is doing - warm quilty hugz... and again Melissa - I am so happy for the wonderful news you got - enjoy yourself!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 12:55 PM | Locked

Vivian :
The best advice I could give him was to not hire anyone he couldn't look in the face and fire.
Vivian that is awesome advice - if you run your own business and hire friends and family you have to have ice in your veins at work - It is the same advice I would give to family and friends about loaning anyone money - 

DH and I decided we will never loan money again to anyone - if someone asks us for money and we have it we are just going to give it but if we can't afford it we aren't going to give it to anyone and will just say no... Loaning money to our son caused a lot of problems - through no ones fault - we didn't have it to loan at the time so had to borrow to do it - then they didn't really have a good enough plan to budget their money to pay us back - so when they couldn't make the payments to us - they didn't tell us but stayed away - we didn't realize that they were too immature to have this responsibility - and I think we were too - but we have now learned - we gift rather then loan - and make it a true gift with no strings attached... and we put that ice in our veins when we have to say No that we can't do it...

It is so hard - some folks can easily do it - I find it hard as I want to help everyone but have set myself up with rules and questions and one No on my questionaire to myself and the answer to them is No...and then life is so much easier... 

It is very hard though ... I truly don't know how some folks do it.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 76 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 74 75 76 77 78 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use