Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #6

Page 283 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 281 282 283 284 285 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,355 Replies | 58 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,398
Points 175,523
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:45 PM | Locked

Pat, great info, thank you.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,398
Points 175,523
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:54 PM | Locked

Thanks Barbara, I will be suggesting the Janome of coarse, I love mine.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 12:06 AM | Locked

Thea I totally understand the stress i'm always having to say i can cut somewhere to accomodate for all the xtras life throws at me.

pinned backing on one mq7 today.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 12:32 AM | Locked

I guess I'll add this here I avoided a catastrophe today!  While in BR of my house noticed a clock wasn't lit had to locate the cord then I seen my lamp wasn't working a favorite stain glass floor lamp with hummingbird design .  Got them working but in the meantime I also smelled something burning it was my lamp!  When I tilted it for closer view the glass shade practicly fell off.  The plastic fitting where the bulb goes was dry rot cracked and melted in places!  When I think about the posibility of tragedy of fire ... I guess it was shorting out and i didn't even know.  Tomorrow I'll be going to lamp repair shop with DH.

Also I called many Joann stores looking for different color of fabric maybe some of you have seen it .  I can't even find it online but my receipt for what i purchased says Zhan festive christmas 2  it looks like 4 leaf clover or clover cross with trees ornaments in leafs kind of like looking though a kaleidoscope with pink red background.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430
Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom) replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:38 AM | Locked

Good morning lovlies!  So a quick question before I get whisked away into work again.  

Well two questions really, but I digress.

I'm doing curtains for my boss.  They are 188" long.  :\  It is a thin silky material (I don't know what to call it).  I am backing it with a thin cotton fabric but I am having puckering issues.  I have only sewn one side of the two panels.  While they are 188" long, at least they are only 34" wide.  What would you suggest to make the pucker not..pucker?  I'm willing to rip out the one line of sewing I have done to make it not look bad.

Second: I have a friend that is a beginning quilter.  She brought me her first couple of lines and, God love her, wow.  I'm guiding her in how to make it better (she doesn't know what tension is and is not willing to read her book).  She was also using a heavy machine quilting thread on seams.  I told her to stop it.  I gave her needles since she has been breaking them (due to high tension with a thick thread).  But what would you give a beginning quilter for Christmas?  

I'll check back in later!!

-=Brandy=-

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 11:11 AM | Locked

Happy sunshiny day!

Went to Derm Doc yesterday. Concensus is I am allregic to MYSELF. He siad yes, I do have chronic Urticaria (hives). If all allergy testing has come up normal, then there is something inside me that is causing the over production of Histamine. Great! He siad there is no cure for this, which is a rare condition, but there are only drugs that will lessen the symptoms, for a short time. He is throwing the strongest at me. Hope it helps. He said there are poeple who have this, most of their lives. Also, said learn to live with it. Will ask God for strength in dealing.

Yesterday we also went to Wlamart. Started feeling bad. Pain in my tummy, (as apoosed to  my guts), Reall hurt. I think it is a med that I was supposed to stop after my surgery, but didn't/. Just got a refill. $48.00 mistake. Yikes.

Today, up to Blue Ridge again for lab results with Call Me Jennifer. Am praying I need more iron. It really gave me energy and that has gone by the wayside now. Of course, that also happens when we become sedentary. Which I have. So, outside again!

I went to get some new jeans and t-shirts yesterday. My clothes just hang on me. Including my panties. Jim thinks those look hilarious. Forget to get new smaller panties, so will do that today. Tried on size 14 jeans sure that would do it. Ha!. I am in a size 12!. I couldn't believe I have gone from a 16/18 to a straight 12. Oh, my goodness. Jim said I look "hot". Can't remember the last time he said that about me.. Wow. Guess I better start looing for those boots, fancy tops and scarves! I have arrived.

Everyone have a wonderfully merry and bright day. We have so much to be thankful for. No matter what our situaton.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 11:55 AM | Locked

I'm heading out soon run errands and go to lamp repair shop.  It seems the only time I can sew is at night burning candle at both ends with holidays fast approaching,  I hope I get mq7 done on time to possibly give as present.  Still wish there were more sewing jobs outside of home in Mi.  Could make good use of extra $ to pay down my own debt. but I remember were not to get political here.  when it affects the matter of our lives its just hard for me to keep my thoughts quiet .  oh well everyone knows I just vent a little from time to time.  Can't do it at home or there is H to pay so i learn to keep my mouth shut.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 12:42 PM | Locked

Today has been busy so far.  Got the last of my Mailbox surprises packaged up and out to the post office.   A few are late but I guess, better late than never.  I just feel so bad that they are late.  I have a problem this time of year and just feel overwhelmed with everything.  I have so many ideas and things I want to get done and seem to get nothing done.    Lack of sunshine and the holidays are a bad time of year and it doesn't get better with age.  I want to make a lot more charity quilts this coming year.  I always feel so much better when I'm doing for others.  I now need to finish X-Mas cards so they can get mailed.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 1:08 PM | Locked

Thea:

she did this to herself when she opted out at 65 for the doctor's part of medicare as it would cost money out of her SS check and now it would be too expensive to get although with bills like this - who knows... but if you don't sign up for medicare at 65 and want it later you pay a penalty of 10% more for each 12 months you didn't sign up - so in Mom's case that would be 210% over what the cost of medicare is... their response to me on this was she didn't pay in for all those years - WHAT!!! She did pay in for 45 years that she worked when they took that money out of her check each week... so Oh my B/P is rising...

All of you if you are approaching 65 - make sure you sign up when you are as you are severely penalized and if you think your regular insurance will cover - nope - Obama care took care of that - they only pay a percentage of what medicare doesn't pay and if medicare doesn't pay anything cuz you don't have it then they don't pay anything either... 

Love that Obama care...

I am not particularly happy withe Obama care either, but what your mother experienced has nothing to do with Obama care. 

1) medicare A pays for in-patient hospital expenses.  If your mother was not admitted and with a diagnosis, Medicare A does not pay.

2) yes medicare B has a premium, but it is the best buy on any insurance.  Even if your mother had to pay $220 per month, about 210 per cent of average cost of medicare B premium.  Medicare B is like a government sponsored insurance.  Yes, we all pay into it in the form of deductions from our paychecks.  But that alone wouldn't cover what is paid out.  So we can opt to purchase it much like an employer sponsored insurance.  Last year the medicare B rates for many dropped, because of a federal regulation that insurances cannot collect more in premiums than a very small amount over what is paid out.  But the best thing about medicare is that it places an upper limit on what is paid for medical care.  For example, say your out-patient chronic medical treatment without insurance costs $40,000 per month.  Medicare says it should only cost about $7000 per month and they will pay 80% of that and no one can charge you more than the 20 % of $7000.  If you have a medicare supplement plan, about another $200 per month, that will cover 20% of what medicare doesn't cover.  (only on charges that medicare B pays.)  $300 per month is a pretty good deal for combined insurance that covers 100 % of everything  (except $140 per year deductible, dentures, optional unnecessary treatment, etc.)  I need a few more years before I or DH can get medicare, and our insurance runs about $1300 per month to pay 80% of a lot more than what medicare limits.

Don't confuse a medicare supplement plan with a medadvantage plan.  A supplement costs more but it pays a lot more.  With a medadvange plan, you pay a very small premium, (along with medicare B premium), and the bill doesn't go to medicare but to the plan.  With the "plan" you may still be stuck with 15% of what medicare does not cover.

3) it is possible that the hospital coded the treatment incorrectly.  There are new codes, and you'd be surprised how many mistakes are being made.  Or sometimes additional information that shows the necessity and urgency of the treatment received will then get medicare to pay.   I had a patient who had an 1/12 hour ambulance ride to the hospital, and medicare didn't want to pay because they didn't think an ambulance was necessary.  When we presented evidence of what was happening with his blood pressure, that put him at risk, they agreed to pay it.   Also "observation for in-patient and out-patient" can be tricky as in some situations it is not covered.  And if you ever need to go to the emergency room, and subsequently get admitted for "observation" only, better take your own prescriptions with you.  Medicare does not cover your regular medications for "observation" and the hospital charges to provide you with a few of your prescription pills are not just over the roof, but into space!

4) medicare pays for most necessary care, but doesn't pay for all types of care.  There are limits to how many hospital days in a certain time period. (it's a big limit), and generally won't pay for residential placement for rehab unless the hospital stay has been at least 3 days.  And then it is usually limited to one month.  It is important to learn what medicare pays for and doesn't.  You can get that information at medicare.gov.

We needed to do something about medical costs in this country.   That $40,000 per month  for some forms of outpatient medical treatment is realistic.  But I am not sure Obama care is the answer.  At the very least, it will need a lot of tweaking.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,502
Thea replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:26 PM | Locked

I saw where you said your insurance costs you 1300 a month - well - at that cost my Mom would have nothing left - she lives on a fixed income and has a mortgage still as I have not been able to get her house sold -but before she moved in with me - she had enough for food / mortgage / and utility bills - she lived very frugally - no satellite or cable televsion and no internet - just the basics and she barely got by.  When she was young and medicare and social securtiy were set up - you paid in and when you turn 65 there was no cost as you paid this cost as you were working during your life.  

The rules for my Mother's insurance changed after she was 65 - about 10 years ago but somehow her insurance company didn't notify her or she was too old at that time to really understand what they were saying thinking that all that money that she had paid in for all those years and had been told over and over that she was covered.  

now she isn't and to opt into medicare now for her would be every extra penny that she has until the house is gone and sold.  Mom has coverage for hospital and prescription - She does have BC/BS insurance that because of a change when Obama care was implemented reduced the amount that they cover.  

I can only tell you what I have been told by the hospitals and the doctors that I have had to work with.  I can say you are very lucky to be able to afford the insurance that you have - that amount would not fit into my budget at all.

I do recommend to anyone though not to opt out of medicare even if you have to reduce some other part of your budget cuz the costs are going up not down - although I wonder how long we will receive anything from them at all.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:38 PM | Locked

well, I just got in from taking Mom to town. We both needed to go get groceries, and I needed to drop off some things for my neice who is getting married on Dec 28th. I have been trying to complete a queen sized afghan for her for a few months now....and it is almost finished.  And It will be the last heavy item like that, that I will make.  It is very hard to walk away from my BOM. It keeps calling my name....I may have to slip off and work on it this afternoon.....hehehe...

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 3:02 PM | Locked

I recieved an amazing  Christmas card in the mail today .I have no idea where it came from but I have my suspisions . Who ever it was  you made my day .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 6:20 PM | Locked

WOw! Barbara, ain't you a lucky gal!! I sure wouldn't complain to be getting holiday wishes from  that hunky Mark Harmon (...Or Sean Connery...or Sam Elliot.) Guess, I guess I a thing for grey hair, hey?? But at least I won't have to worry that Marie will snatch any of them up. ;-)

I splurged big and bought a bottle of fresh oysters yesterday. I bacon wrapped and broiled 'em for  a special treat for DH and I... I thought. By the time I had returned the pan to the kitchen after setting them out, the kids had swarmed in and helped themselves. It was a feeding frenzy!  *Poof* Magical disappearing oysters!! Clean plate!

'Spent the morning making up a wee special gift for each of the kids. I ended up frogging and re-sewing DD's 2ce before i got it right... Just couldn't focus. 'Must be lack of sleep. Or maybe it was my little lapful of flashing fingers so set on helping...  'Sure hope they appreciate the effort.

This afternoon we set up the tree and they decorated it when they got home from school. Looks so pretty and smells so good.  ...Now we just have to keep Sprout and Jenni away from it for the rest of the month. I think I have my work cut out for me.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 7:12 PM | Locked

Wow Barbara !  A nice card indeed!

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,760
Points 365,002
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 7:47 PM | Locked

Barbara:
 I recieved an amazing  Christmas card in the mail today .I have no idea where it came from but I have my suspisions . Who ever it was  you made my day ..

OMG I just love it. How thoughtful of "Mark" to send you a card.

Page 283 of 424 (6356 items) « First ... < Previous 281 282 283 284 285 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use