Help! I need an easy, quick block!!!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Viki posted on Wed, Aug 22 2012 4:26 PM

Hello everyone!  I belong to a quilt guild that wants everyone to make a 12 1/2" square block with a pumpkin theme/pattern, etc.  I have some cute fabric with pumpkins on it and I probably have some matching fabric, but I have no idea what kind of block to make.  I haven't quilted all summer since my son's been home from school.  He went back today and I figure I should probably get serious about this.

Can anyone tell me about a simple, easy block I could do that won't make me look like a total Rookie or like I just threw it together?  Most of these women are all older and very experienced.  I'd love to do applique, but I haven't figured that out yet.  I have no problem getting a few diff fabrics if I need them.  The "president" said something about mulsin having to be part of the block, but I'm not sure what she meant by that.  Since I'm new to the group, I don't feel comfortable asking a question about it. 

Do any of you have any ideas what I could do?  Any ideas are welcome.  I have to have it done for the Oct. meeting (first Tues).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Viki

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Answered (Verified) Viki replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:50 AM
Verified by Viki

Diana,

That is a neat block!  Thank you for the idea!  I appreciate it!! :)

However, I guess what is easy to one person isn't necessarily easy to someone else.  That block would be kind of hard for me.  I'm very much a beginner!  I'm still trying to decide if I even want to stay with the guild.  If I don't, then I don't need to worry about the block and I'll have some cute pumpkin fabric I won't need! :)

Take care and thanks again! (I love that link by the way.  What a neat site!)

Viki

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 6:04 PM

Hi

I think a Monkey Wrench block would be perfect.  Do a fussy cut pumpkin  for the center block.  If you need to see the block, check out    www.quilterscache.com      and go to blocks galore, then to Monkey Wrench in alphabetical order.   It's a simple but nice block.

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,391 Posts
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 10:22 PM

Viki, how about making some kind of a wonky star with your pumpkin fabric in the centre?  Or a disapearing 9 patch?  they are easy but make a wonderful block.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Answered (Verified) Viki replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:50 AM
Verified by Viki

Diana,

That is a neat block!  Thank you for the idea!  I appreciate it!! :)

However, I guess what is easy to one person isn't necessarily easy to someone else.  That block would be kind of hard for me.  I'm very much a beginner!  I'm still trying to decide if I even want to stay with the guild.  If I don't, then I don't need to worry about the block and I'll have some cute pumpkin fabric I won't need! :)

Take care and thanks again! (I love that link by the way.  What a neat site!)

Viki

• | Post Points: 25
Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:53 AM

Angele,

Thank you so much for your ideas!  They sound really cool!  I guess I'm not as adventurous as you are.  I'm very new to quilting and those sound tough!  But, I'm up for a challenge.

I'm just not sure if I'm staying with the guild either.  So if I decide not to stay, I don't need to worry about the block.  Guess I need to make a decision soon, huh?  I'd have to have it done by the beginning of October! Ugh!

Take care and have a glorious day!

Viki

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use