Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka Posted: Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:57 PM

I noticed another FREE class on Craftsy this morning.  It is on making quilt backs. The instructor is Elizabeth Hartman. She does lots of 'modern' quilts, but it looks like the class is going to have information that is applicable to any style of quilting.

Best of all the price is certainly right!

Max

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,252
Points 239,957
Thea replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 2:37 PM

the price is right and this is a great class for beginners - not sure what they could teach me at this point in my quilty career...lol  but I'll look at it anyway!  I guess this dog can always be taught new tricks!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,282
Points 173,428
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 3:09 PM

Max, thanks for sharing!  Great class on quilt backs!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thea,

You're correct that 'newbies' or 'beginners' will probably get the most  from this class.  I was glad to learn that I hadn't been 'doing it wrong' when making some of my backs. That is a comfort to know!

I know someone was asking recently about how to deal with a piece of fabric that was too narrow to use for a backing...how to piece it to make it big enough. This would have been a good class for them to review.

I was also surprised to get an email from Craftsy letting me take a discount on Elizabeth's other new class on Modern Quilting because I had signed up for the free one on quilt backs.  Cool deal!

Max

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 1:51 PM

I just finished the class yesterday. It was very well done, especially for one of the free ones. Some of the information in the early lessons were simply basic stuff for the beginners out there, but some of it was stuff I had never thought of myself. I've been quilting on and off for 30 years so I'm not a beginner. But  I also have not been quilting steadily during that time, so I'm no expert.

Don't be surprised at the offer of a discount from Craftsy. Once you are on their mailing lists as a student, you will get regular offers on several classes you might also like to take. I literally have only paid full price for one of the classes, and I've registered for a bunch. I like how the platform works.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,684
Points 65,980
Bonita replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:03 PM

I watched part of it last night and I thought it was really a good one. I've always had trouble getting the back centered if it was pieced. I never thoughtof rolling up the batting and the top to line it up. And the price is right.:)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 10:00 AM

She had some great tips. The one about putting the quilt on the batting and then laying them out on the backing together was one of the good ones.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use