Embroidery machines

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
68 Posts
Points 1,235
Quilter 222 posted on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:05 PM

I have a Husqvarna Viking - Topaz 30 embroidery machine.

When I do embroidery I have had problems with loopy thread under neath and thread bunching.

I've taken my machine in twice and they can never find anything wrong with it.

I use fabric sizing, good quality stabilizers and good needles.

They say it might be the thread I'm using.  Has anyone else had problems

with their embroidery machines and the thread?  Which brand thread do you find

works best for your Topaz 30?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,481 Posts
Points 417,074
gini replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:45 AM

ii sounds like your tension is too loose on the bottom. i have a designer 1 and i have only used the rayon in the embroidery unit.    try a larger eyed needle like a metallic or embroidery needle.  i do know that when i am quilting my machine does not like king tut of YLI thread.

are you making sure the thread is over the arm when this is happening.   the only time i get the really bunchy thread on the bottom is when it has slippped off that arm up on the head.  or when i have lint in the bobbin area.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Quilter, I have a topaz just the 20 , but whenI first got it ,I lost the tension completely ,the repair shop could not fix it and sent it back to the manufactor , I got a whole new machine ,and it works just fine now. And now you are talking about yours ,I am beginning to wonder if there was not a flaw somewhere . You might contact the manufactor and let them know ,what your problem is , never know you to could end up with a new machine.   Good luck  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

I have the same machine (Husqvarna Topaz 30) and had the same problem.  It must be world wide coz i'm in australia.  The tech at Fabric Palette (local store) said it was to do with the cutting function.  I don't understand it but so far it seems to have fixed it.

I hope this helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,562 Posts
Points 139,613

Quilter 222:
I've taken my machine in twice and they can never find anything wrong with it.

So, when they do embroidery it comes out fine?

I have a designer 1 and like Gini, the only times I have had problems  with looping is when the thread slips off the arm that takes it up and down, and when I forget to thread through the metal loop above the needle. I use prewound 60 wt bobbins a lot and they work great. I also read a tip that when you start your embroidery to pull the bobbin thread to the top and that will help keep it from starting in a birds nest. I haven't had to do this.

And yes, thread does mattter. I recommend staying away from any bulk (ebay) sales and sticking with Sulky, Robinson Anton, Maidera, and any quality thread really. I bought cheap rayon thread and had nothing but problems in the beginning when I bought my machine. I remember taking it in about four times, and it was all about the thread and not the machine.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10

Yes when they do this it fixed the problem.  I've not had a repeat so far.  Our tech was wonderful he had me in the store doing test stitches and making adjustments etc then retest. 

You're right when you say that thread matters.  But if someone does use cheap thread the other thing to do is clean out the fluff that's left behind.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use