Top 10 Posters

flying geese block

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 265
Kathy posted on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:03 PM

I have some scrap 4 inch right triangles that I want to make flying geese block with.  What size square would I use for the left and right sides of the flying geese triangle?

I have not seen anywhere any guidelines to tell me....

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

KathyS  from Indiana

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,771 Posts
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:30 AM

I have only made flying geese with rectangles and squares for the corners to create the background.  I can't picture a right triangle being made into a flying geese.  Sorry I can't be of help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,160 Posts
Points 30,375
Answered (Not Verified) Ramona replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:53 AM
Suggested by Ramona

KathyS,

I don't know about the right triangle but..........

I hope this helps you.  http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.com/calculating-half-square-triangles.html

Another thing is to type in your search engine  'making flying geese quilt block' and several sites are available for information that might help you.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
756 Posts
Points 18,645

3-1/2" x 7".  Flying geese units are twice as long as high.  If you are starting with 4" triangles, measured along the right angle side, deduct seam allowance of 1/2" (1/4" on two sides), then the rectangle that will be the goose should be 3-1/2" x 7".  You'll need to center the goose on the sky leaving 1/4" on the upper and lower edge of the triangles sticking out.  Dicey, but it can be done.  If they were my triangles, I'd find another use for them.   

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use