rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 130
mom2mcl Posted: Wed, Aug 8 2012 11:27 AM

Hi, all! 

I've been lurking around here for about 9 months, so I thought it was time I stepped forward and said hello!  I'm a newbie-quilter.  I wanted to make a t-shirt quilt for my daughters high school graduation.  Thanks to google, you tube, several how to books, and a very basic knowledge of my sewing machine, I jumped in with both feet and within two weeks last October I had it completed... but I had also been bitten by the quilting bug.  Since then I made a denim rag quilt to drag to my son's football games this fall, pieced a lap quilt using a pattern that I saw in a magazine (still needs to be sandwiched and quilted), completed another t-shirt quilt for the son of a dear friend, and started a "spring" table runner for my dining room table (but it is FAR from complete!)  I also discovered English Paper Piecing.  I plan to make a grandmothers flower garden quilt.  Right now I'm busily basting hexies... occasionally actually putting a flower together.  I love that it is so portable and I can do that while watching ball games, traveling, and most importantly visiting with DH or other friends.

Little bit about me that doesn't deal with sewing/quilting... I'm a farmwife in the cornfields of Nebraska, mom to 3 busy kids, avid photographer (my kids call me "mom-arazzi"), scrapbooker, and I'm a football/nascar fanatic.

Anxious to get to know all of you better!

Kris (mom2mcl)

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:46 PM

Hi, Kris. Welcome.

Re: newbie quilter. Honey you are so far beyond newbie. Newbies start out slow, take lots of classes then jump in the deep end. You started in the deep end. I would say that you were a quilter in another life (if you believe in that).. Sounds like your kids are certainly proud of there all over the place Mom.

Jim and I are Nascar fans ourselves. So, who is your fave driver? I am loving' Jimmy Johnson this year. Jim is all about Jr. Back in the day we were all about Sr. of course. I like Smoke, too. Jeff is better then he was early in his career for sure. He used to have this attitude problem. Not as bad, for sure, as Kyle. Ewwww!  My DS (dear son) has a hat that Sr. signed personally for him. DS has collected Sr. memorabilia for years and years. It has been valued at $10,000.

No more lurking.  Speak up.  

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,309
Points 17,585
Susan replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 1:06 PM

Welcome, Kris ! Glad you finally decided to chat with us. Sounds like you really have been bitten by the quilting bug. Good for you for trying new things! If you have any questions, there are lots of quilters here to answer whatever you need to know.   Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,547
Points 48,465
Frances replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 1:43 PM

Hi Kris,

Welcome, Glad you have finally come out of lurking its more fun to join in. I too love EPP dont forget to post photos of everything even things you havent finished yet we all love seeing photos.

lots of love

Francesxx

England

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 130
mom2mcl replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 1:47 PM

Thanks for the welcomes!

Sukochi:  I'm a Harvick fan... probably because the first couple of races I ever watched were Daytona when Sr was killed and then the next race where Kevin got in the car and WON... I was hooked after that.  My DH likes Kyle simply because I have NO USE for HIM!  LOL!  You should hear our house on race day... gets a little rowdy!!  HaHa! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,715
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 2:24 PM

Welcome Kris

I agree that it doesn't take long to be bitten by the quilting bug and once bitten you just can't get enough...LOL>   Hope you enjoy your time with us and will share some pics of your creations.   We love to ooohh and aaaahh over pics.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,639
Points 418,679
gini replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 5:36 PM

Hi kris welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092

Kris, happy you decided to stop lurking and join in, welcome to forums

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160

Welcome Kris,

You are going to love it here! IF your are making a Grandmother's Garden you can't be all bad! LOL!  I am just finishing up my second border on mine and it is a queen, when finished, it will be a super queen.  Please post pictures!

Judylee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,412
Points 19,155

Welcome Kris;

By "lurking" around for awhile, I'm sure by now you have realized how much fun it is reading all the posts and reading about all the people. It is so much fun here. I'm sure you will love it. I hope to see some pics of your quilts.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,558
Points 377,182
Kris replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 8:20 PM

Welcome Kris. Great name.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 7:14 AM

Hi Kris,

Welcome to the group :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the group Kris.

Margaret

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,160
Points 30,360
Ramona replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 11:09 AM

mom2mcl,

Glad to see you've jumped in. Hope you will post pictures of your projects. We all love to see what others are doing. Sounds like you are far from a newbie at this point.  You are one busy woman.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 1:24 PM

Nine Months!  It's only been hours on the site and I've done just about every topic.  Welcome to quilting and to this group.  Do you belong to any other groups on your home area?

Caryl

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use