Buying a used Longarm Quilting Machine

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 245
eddie posted on Mon, Aug 6 2012 5:45 PM

Does anyone have any advice on buying used longarm quilting machines   What do I watch for  What is the normal cost   How do I check it over  I am thinking an 18 inch throat bed is the minimum I should watch for  Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated   Thank You

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

If you buy it through a dealer (a trade-in), you will probably get a limited warranty and instructions - a definite plus!  I bought mine from a private individual, and she had me over to her house to show me that the machine was running well, and then after I got it home and set up, she drove over and gave me a 2-hour lesson.  I thought that was really nice. It's something I think you could ask for.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

Is there a significant savings by buying a used machine? I had never thought of looking into a used machine.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 10:20 PM

I bought mine (HQ 16) used also from a private party, not a dealer. It was considerably cheaper than buying one new.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Considering some of the problems some of us have had with our new machines, which includes the distance we have to travel to get them fixed and take classes, your best bet would be to buy a machine from someone you trust and perhaps a machine that a co-quilter in the area has that may be able to help you with all the fine tunings.

It is great to have your own machine, its great when it is working well and the creativity flows but when you hit a glitch and can't fix it right away it is really irritating to have the brakes on until you figure out what the machine wants to work well.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use