Newbie from Lubbock, Texas (West Texas)

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 400
newbie2009 Posted: Sun, Aug 5 2012 3:40 PM

Hi, my name is Sherry and I have been quilting about three years.  I had to quit work in 2009 due to my health.  Since 2009 my stash has grown, thanks to family, friends, LQS, JoAnn's, garage sales, etc.  Bought an Ellure Plus in 2010. I jumped into quilting with both feet and don't regret it for a moment. Will be attending my second quilting retreat in September.  So happy to be here.

P.S.  Just moved my quilting studio from a small bedroom to a larger one!

• | Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 4:04 PM

Welcome Sherry!  We have a number of Texas quilters in QCA, but considering the size of your state, it's not likely they're neighbors of yours.  Ha, ha!

Ooo, a new quilting room!  You must know we're dying to see pictures of it!  We've had a lot of fun sharing pictures of quilting spaces...  and quilts, of course!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 5:16 PM

Welcome Sherry.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Welcome to the growing "family" Sherry.  I hope you enjoy your time with us. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 6:36 PM

Sherry

Welcome to the site.  Hope you enjoy your time with us.   I too took up quilting after I had to quit working.   It jumped in with both feet and haven't looked back.   Now 10 yrs later I have a nice stash, 2 fantastic sewing machines and am loving every minute.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 6:40 PM

hi sherry, welcome to the group.  enjoy your new ellure and your bigger sewing room.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Hi Sherry, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 12:16 AM

Nana:
2 fantastic sewing machines

Nana, count again.  I feel sure it's more than two!  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 6:48 AM

MNnancy:

Nana:
2 fantastic sewing machines

Nana, count again.  I feel sure it's more than two!  LOL

You are right Nancy.  I actually have 10 sewing machines but I was just counting my 2 machines that I use all the time....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 7:12 AM

Sherry welcome to the club. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 185

Welcome, my name is Eyvonne, but everyone calls me Running.  I live in Norman, OK where it is hot, hot, hot.  I recently started to go to retreats so I hope to see you at one of the retreats. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 719
Points 18,100

Welcome fellow Texan.  I'm near Coleman, but come to Lubbock a couple of times a year to see my Bishop.  I'm really new both to this group and to quilting.  So, stupid question, but how do you find out about quilting retreats?  I gather they are a few days set apart to learn new techniques? 

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:42 AM

Welcome Sherry :)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 10:18 AM

Welcome Sherry,  Eyvonne , and Belfrybat!  As to retreats, they are gatherings of quilty friends that usually extend for three to seven days.  Small groups meet at each other's homes... mid size groups meet at retreat cabins, hotels, or quilt shop spaces... and really large groups meet at youth camps, cruises, etc.  Some retreats involve lessons, but most are just uninterrupted/dedicated sewing time with lots of gabbing and sharing.

From time to time, a QCA member will announce a retreat to be held in a regional location.  QCA does not sponsor these, but QCA members volunteer to organize the function.  We've had (or will have) QCA retreats in Iowa, Washington, Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, etc.  You can watch for announcements about these kinds of retreats within the "Group" section of QCA.  (Anyone can read the posts here, but you have to "join" the group (no fee) to be able to post your own comments.)  Here is the link to the QCA Retreats.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use