This post has 130 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 12:13 PM

Stephanie:
unbranded backing

Stephanie,  you raise an interesting point.  Doesn't it seem like most stores carry the same wide backing materials?  It sure seems like I see the same prints from store to store - and just a small selection of them.  Has anyone purchased name brand backing fabric, or is it all a cheaper product?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 12:27 PM

The topic of fabrics gets more and more confusing.  There's a deal at Craftsy right now on a fat quarter bundle from Rowan fabrics.  I haven't heard of Rowan, so I did a Google search.  It turns out Rowan and Kaffe Fassett and Free Spirit and Ty Pennington Impressions all fall under the Westminster Fabrics company.  Do you suppose that means that all these lines should be of comparable quality?  Anyone have experience with these?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 3:15 PM

Nancy

I have gotten a name brand backing fabric but I can't remember the manufacturer.  It was a very nice piece of fabric.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 5:18 PM

Nana:

I love Kaufman Fusions  ....  2 thumbs up.   I also love Fossil Ferns but don't remember who makes it.

Fusions and Fossil Ferns. Oh yes. I always buy these. The ladies at the LQS call me when they get new ones.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 5:23 PM

MNnancy:
Has anyone purchased name brand backing fabric, or is it all a cheaper product?

I bought some "Pure" designed by Sweetwater for Moda at Keepsake quilting. If I used it for backing it would work out about the same (cost more per yard but I buy less).

I piece my backs but this line is old and I could only find the print I wanted in the 108 inch width.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 11:11 PM

MizPat:
Peter Pan: Basic fabric, slightly coarser than some other brands, but overall acceptable. 1/2 thumbs up

Miz Pat - Thanks for all your ratings.  I added Peter Pan under Henry Glass.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 11:14 PM

Update: 08.05.2012 / 11 p.m.

Chart removed for next update.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 11:47 PM

I recounted and tallied all the "two thumbs up."  If you said "a big thumbs up" that was worth two, too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 11:49 PM

Stephanie:
MMFab- Debbie Mumm line purchased at Joann's - Thumbs Up

Debbie Mumm can be purchased at JoAnn's, but it is produced by South Sea Imports, a division of MMFab.  I'll correct that on the next update.

The things I'm learning working on this chart!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

MNnancy:

The things I'm learning working on this chart!

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but I find this chart very helpful. Normally I buy what I like and I don't really look at the brand. I want to thank you so much for coming up with this chart idea and doing the work and research for it. A big thumbs up to you!!!!!!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 8:43 PM

Melissa Halpain:
Normally I buy what I like and I don't really look at the brand.

At the LQS, that's my method, too, but when ordering online, I think it's going to be helpful to have this as a reference.  Glad you like it, too.  I hope more ratings will come in.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403

This was a great idea, and thank you Nancy for tallying everything and all the additional info. on The Debbie Mumm fabric and South Seas.

I have purchased wide backing fabric from Moda to match the quilt I was making. It was the same quality as the regular yardage fabrics. It was nice to have the solid piece for this quilt.   I also would like to add that the quilt washed and dryed beautifully, thankfully.

I wonder if the lesser quality will? Does anyone know?  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:09 PM

Nancy I agree this has been a great idea and your work has been very much appreciated . thanks so much .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 7 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use