Fabric reviews

Page 2 of 9 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 21 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
Gena B replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 6:43 PM

Love this idea, and the chart looks great.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,383
Points 115,335

MNnancy:

How does something like this look?  Do we need any other descriptors/columns?  I can put something like this in the first post so that people see it at the very start of the thread.  The first two reviews are mine based on my recent purchase for the applique layer cake swap.  I'll keep the fabric manufacturers in alphabetical order.

Nancy. This is great. I like that you've kept it simple yet the info needed is there, where is was purchased etc. thanks. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,187
Points 238,897
Thea replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:35 PM

Nancy love the idea - how do we add to your graph?

I would give Moda - thumbs up on all their fabrics... also Michael Miller... some others I would have to say I have to touch them to make sure that they aren't going to fray - I will look at some of my fabrics and give the names of the ones that have frayed on me that were also quality lines...

I would rather not rate an online store as that could cause some problems... I use a search engine when I am searching for any fabric and go with the lowest price I can find - I have never had a problem with any store that I have bought from and I usually get my fabric within 2 - 3 days... now if I buy from some of the bigger stores - I might get my fabric in 2 weeks...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 9:28 PM

Okay, I added Thea's ratings and moved the chart to the first page of this thread.  I took off the name of the online store at Thea's suggestion.  That might have proved cumbersome to maintain, anyway.  In fact, does it matter if it's online or LQS?  Should I remove that column and really simplify this thing to just focus on brand quality?  Or can quality vary between brick and mortar stores and online sites?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,272
Points 413,639
gini replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 9:52 PM

all of the fabric lines have good better and best fabric, that are distributed through different avenues or  names and through companies with different names.   i think if you have the fabric line and it's number, it will all be the same.  this is the way i understand it.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 10:18 PM

gini:
i think if you have the fabric line and it's number, it will all be the same.

Not sure I understand this.  Are you referring to the number of thumbs up and/or down?  Or are you saying this type of informal survey won't work because of the variation even within one fabric line?  Or that it is important to leave the source on?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,272
Points 413,639
gini replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 12:05 AM

MNnancy:
Or can quality vary between brick and mortar stores and online sites?

i was trying to answer this question, obviously not very well.   the brand shouldn't matter between stores or online stores.  a fabric line with it's number, should be the same where ever you find it.

a manufacturer will produce a pattern in several grades of fabric and dyes and attention to detail. i think as the quality of the dyes goes down so does the detail.  then you have manufacturers that will copy a pattern loosely in lower grades of materials.   then these are sold into different markets, and i believe they have different names and numbers.

did i do a better job of explaining?

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 2:00 PM

Thanks, Gini.  Yes, I get what you mean now.  So anyone reading our chart will have to be aware that if the price seems too good to be true, it's possible it's printed on a lower grade of fabric sold specifically to outlet centers.  Hmmm, instead of renumbering the lines, they should market them under a different brand name.  It can't do their brand's reputation any good to be associated with those cheaper print runs.

Thanks for the review, Richard.  I'll add it to the chart this evening.  

Anyone else checking through your stash?  I was looking at some fabric through an Equilter email today and once again ran into some manufacturers I hadn't heard from.  Anyone know of Studio E Fabrics?  Camelot Cottons?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,272
Points 413,639
gini replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 2:03 PM

MNnancy:
Hmmm, instead of renumbering the lines, they should market them under a different brand name.

i think they do.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 2:27 PM

I got some fabric from Connecting Threads once and didn't like the quality of that fabric. Bought fabric from Fabric.Com once and it was nice.  Have had some Moda to fray really bad.  But it was all in one line of Moda. Can't remember what it was. Have also gotten some good fabric (OK, Don't throw eggs at me) from WALMART

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 2:41 PM

sukochi I have also found some good fabric from Walmart ,you just have to look really well thru what they have in stock . I will buy it if it feels good like the quit shop fabric and if its 100 % cotton, so again you just have to be a good shopper , I think I have gotten some of that Blank fabric ,that Richard mentioned at Walmart .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

MNnancy:
 Anyone know of Studio E Fabrics?
Nancy - I remember putting some fabric back on the shelves from Studio E but can't tell you much about it.  I will try to remember to look for it when I work on Monday and tell you what I think of it.  I will also look around to see if we have anything from Camelot Cottons.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 4:00 PM

Okay, Sukochi, I can give one thumbs down to Connecting Threads as they are their own manufacturer, and another thumbs down to Moda for your fraying fabric, but Fabric.com and Walmart are retailers, not manufacturers.  You'll have to provide the brand of fabrics that you are reviewing.

Page 2 of 9 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use