Page 1 of 9 (131 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy Posted: Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:26 AM

I think it's interesting that you can find reviews on the Internet for just about anything you can purchase except fabrics.

The best way to judge a fabric will always be in person at a store looking at and feeling the fabric.  The sales announcements from online vendors can be very enticing, but how do you know if the fabric will be of good quality when all you have to go by is a picture? For instance, I was at Eleanor Burns website today looking at her sales, and there is a lot of "Anthology" fabric being offered at a discount.  I haven't heard of that brand, so I don't know if it is soft with a tight weave and good drape.

This chart is an effort to help us in deciding which fabrics can be safely ordered online.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If you post comments about fabric brands in this thread, I will update the chart every couple of days. Don't hesitate to post your opinion of a fabric already listed.  The more ratings, the more reliable the info is.  (The time stamp is for my reference in collecting comments)

Update:  08.14.12 / 10 a.m.

Fabric Brand

Thumbs Up

Thumbs Down

Comments

*You may assign a rating of ½, 1, or 2 thumbs up or down.

Andover

Excellent weave, very little fraying, soft good colors and sews up well.

Anthology

Slightly stiff, due to sizing. Doesn't get flimsy when washed.

Benartex

A lot of varieties of prints, good basic fabric. One sample seems softer than another.  Affected by the dying process?  Love Fossil Fern blendables.

Blank

Usually can find more reasonably priced online than in LQS but quality is a plus in their fabric line.

Camelot Cottons

Clothworks

Connecting Thrds - cotton

Good quality for the price. Quirky color combinations? (Opposing - I don't like for hand appliqué.  It is fine for piecing.) Halfhearted thumbs up.

Connecting Thrds - batiks

Fabric Editions

Weave is good, the colors and patterns/variety are excellent, no problem with colors running, starchiness or shrinkage, even the ones I got at the Walmart.

Fabri-Quilt

They make a good line but they also have a very cheap quality in one of their lines of fabric.  It is a brand that I have to see and feel.

Free Spirit

A division of Westminster Fabrics.

Henry Glass

Includes Peter Pan Fabrics, Inc.

Hoffman -cotton

They are a leader in the quality of fabrics that they put on the market. Have never seen a lesser quality of fabrics under their umbrella.

Hoffman - batiks

In the Beginning

Great silky feel

Joann Fabrics

David Textiles, Legacy Studios, and Colorbok seem to be good quality. Debbie Mumm (MMFab) is good. JoAnn’s own holiday fabric has strong weave yet soft to touch. (Opposing – watch out for cheaper qualities of fabrics here.) Several comments that Joann’s is improving overall.

Kaufman – cotton (inc. Kona & Fusions)

Fusions: Rainbow of colors, washes up, weave is not too tight, nice feel to the fabric, prefer these for blending over Moda Marbles. (Kona solids difficult for hand quilting)

Kaufman - batiks

A big thumbs up to the Robert Kaufman's 'Artisans Batiks'.   I've bought both jelly rolls and yardage of both of these lines, and love them.

Lakehouse

Very good quality.

Makower UK

(Neutral “Essential Dots” is thin and frays)

Marcus Fabrics

Very nice fabric, good tight weave, soft and great color.

Michael Miller

Moda

Beautiful look and feel!  (Opposing – had some that frayed / Moda Marbles by Patrick Lose are too thin) Another person likes Moda Marbles, so some disagreement there.

Northcott

Very smooth – almost a sheen.  Like their flannels, too.

P & B

Soft and smooth with lovely prints.

Red Rooster

Riley Blake

Have a looser weave to them - nice prints though so maybe a half-hearted thumbs up.

RJR

Jinny Beyer! among other lines.

South Sea Imports

A division of MMFab.  Includes Debbie Mumm.

Studio E

Nice "hand" and good tight weave - some nice contemporary prints.

Timeless Treasures - cotton

Good basic brand. (If from Walmart -  tends to be starched, which washes out and causes warping)

Timeless Trsures - batik

Tonga Treats

Unbranded backing

Ordered from Fabric.com. This had a real silky feel, but the design looks and feels stamped not woven and I could plainly see my fingers through it. 

VIP

It is a little stiff, but workable. This is a wildly variable brand. Some are good, others barely acceptable. (If from Walmart - tends to be starched, which washes out and causes warping)

Westminster Fabrics

Includes Kaffe Fassett, Free Spirit, Ty Pennington, and Rowan.

Wilmington Prints

A division of MMFab.

Windham

Wonderful, feels fabulous and a good tight weave

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 8:59 AM

I'm all for a review thread.  I would like to order more fabrics online, too, but hesitate for the same reason.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
I'd read reviews on fabric, too. I don't see why QCA would object too much. It'd be the same way as with our individual posts, be respectful, keep it clean and be as fair as possible. Isn't that pretty much what we all keep in mind before posting something? I think we're all responsible adults, so why not?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 9:33 AM

Nancy ,maybe you could set up a group for this ,and have several people as your main reviewers an also anyone else who wants to add to the reviews , I think doing this is a great idea.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

I think this is a great idea. I've always had great luck with buying fabric on line, however, I would love to see reviews on fabric first. There is always that one time that I might not get what I paid for and that would be upsetting. Love the idea.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 11:21 AM

Sounds like a great idea! Money is too hard to come by these days (or any day) for us to waste it on a fabric that isn't of expected quality.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,272
Points 413,654
gini replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 11:50 AM

i think it is a great idea.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 12:28 PM

Barbara:
maybe you could set up a group for this

I'm always concerned that groups don't get enough traffic.  We see the question about whether it's safe to order fabric online all the time as new people join the club.  If this topic was a regular in the forums, the new members would probably find it more easily.  We can probably just keep the conversation going here.  Tell me if you disagree.  Is there a benefit to the groups area that I'm missing?

Is anyone up for this?  Who has recently purchased fabric, whether at the LQS or online?  Which brands did you purchase?  Which ones felt especially supple?  Which seemed coarse and/or frayed easily?

I wouldn't mind consolidating the reviews into a chart with brand, number of reviewers, thumbs up or thumbs down, and comments.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,179
Points 15,765
Susan replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 12:34 PM

Nancy, this is a good idea. When I purchase some online I will let you know. Also, stay in the forums as it seems to get more attention.      Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,272
Points 413,654
gini replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 1:15 PM

this would work fine, nancy,  you could bump it once a month or so.   have you gone back and read the first page of jeanine's thread, longarmers.   her first post, she wondered how long the thread would stay alive.   she's still wondering.   timely threads  stay alive pretty easily.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 1:20 PM

MNnancy:
I'm always concerned that groups don't get enough traffic.  We see the question about whether it's safe to order fabric online all the time as new people join the club.  If this topic was a regular in the forums, the new members would probably find it more easily.  We can probably just keep the conversation going here.  Tell me if you disagree.  Is there a benefit to the groups area that I'm missing?

I think it more people would see it in the forums.  If it were limited to groups, the question would probably still come up in the forums anyway.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,383
Points 115,335

MNnancy:
I'm always concerned that groups don't get enough traffic.

I have also thought about this. The groups are great as it consolidates topics for easier reference. But, since they don't post on the main page of QCA many people that may be interested never see them. I'm not sure what the solution is. Once in a while someone will post something in the general chat area about a particular group and it will catch my eye. Like the scrappy group. I joined that one earlier this year because of a posting in the general area.

It might be nice if whoever is starting a new project in a group would put a simple blurb in the general chat area inviting people to come check out, for example, the paper piecing group.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 4:36 PM

How does something like this look?  Do we need any other descriptors/columns?  I can put something like this in the first post so that people see it at the very start of the thread.  The first two reviews are mine based on my recent purchase for the applique layer cake swap.  I'll keep the fabric manufacturers in alphabetical order.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 4:55 PM

I like it . barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 5:45 PM

That looks good.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 9 (131 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use