Top 10 Posters

Buying fabric online

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 51 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 545
Bobbie posted on Fri, Jul 27 2012 8:58 AM

I am new to quilting and was wondering about buying fabric online. Can someone tell me their favorite places to buy fabric online. I'm looking for quality and good prices. I'm always worried about buying things online because you don't always know what you're getting. 

Thanks,

Bobbie

• | Post Points: 215

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 9:03 PM

Patti

I have always found Hancocks to be slow with shipping.  They have great fabrics though.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 1:41 PM

bobbi, i have bought fabric from a bunch of sites, some i was familiar with and some i hadn't heard of, but they had the fabric i was looking for.   i have never had a problem.   the packages are always prompt and service great.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

I've always had very good luck with buying fabric on line. I usually buy my fabric on e-bay and have never been disappointed. I have a Hancocks close to me so I've not purchased any on line from them. I still like touching and seeing fabric first hand though. If buying on e-bay, make sure you stick with sellers that have 99% feedback or higher. Good luck with your on line adventures.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,517 Posts
Points 47,270

Diana, you have made my day! About 3 years ago my then soon to be DIL was over looking through all of my quilt magazines and fell in love with one.  I started looking for the fabric and couldn't find any locally. I finally had to drive about 50 miles to Tampa to find it. Of course they were missing one of the fabrics. I was going to try to substitute something, but ended up putting it all away because I thought it was beyond my abilities. I recently got it out and started searching the internet and couldn't find it anywhere. You mentioned the fabshophop site had a search feature. I went there and did a search and found a shop in Canada that had the right design, but on my monitor It looked green and I needed the light blue. I called them and the verrrrry nice lady looked it up and I was looking at green, but they also had the blue. So, I ordered 2 meters and am finally going to be able to make this quilt. So, even though you weren't talking to me, thank you so very much!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,438 Posts
Points 176,143
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 3:59 PM

Pat L. I can't wait to see this quilt done and also can't believe you found the fabric after three years.  Good for you and Diana's suggestion.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
44 Posts
Points 895

Hi Bobbie,

I love Hancock's of Paducah. I've also been to the store and they are super nice and helpful too. I also like fabric.com too, and they send deals straight to your email. Others that I use that have been mentioned are Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting. I've also ordered from Clotilde, but not as often as the others. Good luck! Building your stash is super fun!

Jen

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Though most of us have had good luck ordering fabric online, I would still like to suggest that before placing an order, you take a glance at a fabric quality chart we have started to assemble.  It's a shame to spend money on fabric that you've only seen a picture of on your computer and then have it arrive and find out it's stiff, course, and frays.  The chart is in the "Fabric Reviews" thread.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,508 Posts
Points 30,675
Diana replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:36 AM

Glad that you found your fabric, Pat, after 3 years.  Can't wait to see your quilt finished.  Glad I could help out.  That is a go-to site for me when I'm looking for something special.  About 3 years ago, I wanted musical themed fabric  to make a quilt for a friend in UK.  There wasn't tons to choose from, but enough to make a really nice quilt.  Now there are dozens of fabrics with that theme.   You never know what you'll find and I always look to find the cheapest prices too.  Sometimes there might be a shop that has your fabric on sale.  Have fun shopping.

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,438 Posts
Points 176,143
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 11:06 AM

A big thank you to Nancy for putting together this chart.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
0 Posts
Points 0

www.missouriquiltco.com has lots of precuts and yardage.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,517 Posts
Points 47,270

Diana, I ordered the fabric late on Friday and received it the following Tuesday. I coudn't believe it. I live in Florida and it came from Calgary, Albeta, Canada. Amazing! I am trying to finish up a couple of things so I have room to work on it. Will probably get started on it next week. Gonna go slow since the fabric cost about $350 so can't make any mistakes. When the quilt is finished I will see about having a brain transplant as I have obviously lost my mind! LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Pat Lancaster:
Gonna go slow since the fabric cost about $350 so can't make any mistakes.

Wow!  The gals from Canada have been telling us how expensive cotton is there, but I had no idea it was that bad!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,517 Posts
Points 47,270

MNnancy:

Wow!  The gals from Canada have been telling us how expensive cotton is there, but I had no idea it was that bad!

LOL, Nancy. The fabric I just bought from Canada was $14.99 per meter. I bought 2 meters. With shipping it came to about $20.75 per meter, OUCH! I bought the rest of the fabric three years ago. If I had to spend $350 now my DIL would not be getting this quilt. Originally I was so happy to find the fabric that I just started having the guy cut it for me and never even asked the price. Was I ever in shock when he told me the total. I was too embarassed to say I couldn't afford it and just put it on a credit card. I have learned a lot since then and know how many yards I will need and the cost per yard BEFORE the cutting begins. The Canadian fabric was pricey but since Ihad over 20 yards already, which included the backing,  I decided I might as well get the rest of it. Hopefully, I will be able to do it justice. In the future if someone falls in love with a quilt in one of my magazines I will send them out to buy the fabric themselves and agree to "help" them make it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

Okay. I have a question about buying fabric online.

Usually, when I buy something online it is because I already know what I'm going to get. In other words, it is standardized. If I buy a book of a certain title by a specific author and get the hardbound volume, I know what book I'm going to read. Then it is a matter of brand new, like new, very good, good or acceptable quality.

When I buy something electronic, I can put in the name of the item, a model name/number and color. Sometimes I need to add more parameters, like 4GB or something, but once I have selected the options, it is all the same "widget" no matter who sells it. I even priced my car that way!

But, now with fabric, I don't know. If I order a particular manufacturer, fabric design line and pattern will they all be the same regardless of seller? Are the weights, stretch and other characteristics the same or not?

Page 2 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use