Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 320
Stitchin Stella Posted: Tue, Jul 24 2012 1:52 PM

I am celebrating the completion of my 7th quilt.  Although I am not squeaky new, I am still learning.  I would appreciate any feedback I can get on the quilting software programs that are available.  I us a PC.   I do subscribe to quilt magazines but I also would like to explore my own "patterns".  But with the price of fabric I do not want to be wasteful.  I found a beautiful panel.  I would like to add more than just some borders and call it a quilt.  I am hoping a software program will give me ideas.  Feedback???  Thank You  :-)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 4:03 PM

Stella, I would advise you to get Electric quilt 7 software , you can get it on amazon. it is expensive but well worth the cost ,you can do designing and everything on it. and get update for your soft wear on the web site. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 11:56 PM

Welcome, Stella!  Though I don't use it extensively, I would highly recommend EQ7 (Electric Quilt) which I installed on my PC laptop.  I love that it helps you design blocks and quilts utilizing traditional piecing, paper piecing, and applique.  Besides giving you the yardage and cutting instructions, it even allows you to print full size paper templates and foundations.

There are several club members here that use the program a lot.  Maybe they will see your post and offer more advice.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,762
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 12:28 AM

Welcome Stella.

Congrats on your 7 quilts. I also highly recommend EQ software. I use it quite frequently. You can import fabric swatches into the program so you can see what your fabrics will look like in a pattern.

Version seven is the most recent but, if you're not into photo editing, version 6 is fine and you may find it at a lower price. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,497
Points 417,299
gini replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 1:10 AM

Hi Stella, welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 7:26 AM

Hi Stella. i also have EQ 7, still trying to learn most of it but it is fun to use

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 7:28 AM

Duplicate

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 7:54 AM

Kris:

Welcome Stella.

Congrats on your 7 quilts. I also highly recommend EQ software. I use it quite frequently. You can import fabric swatches into the program so you can see what your fabrics will look like in a pattern.

Version seven is the most recent but, if you're not into photo editing, version 6 is fine and you may find it at a lower price. 

Kris, How much of a difference is there between EQ 5 & EQ 6??

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 8:44 AM

I've got EQ 7. I keep buying add ons but have done nothing with it so far. I decided to print out 3 easy 12 inch block and try them out. I printed out the rotary cutter directions. Just doing something useful made me feel good.

I am taking the Craftsy.com Civil War Blocks class. The early ones were great. But the later ones are harder than is working for me, so I'm going to step back and make some blocks that are a little easier and lock in the precise piecing that the teacher is teaching. One of the things I like about this class is that she literally is teaching us HOW TO SEW the blocks. Which pieces to do first. Which ones go on the bottom and which on the top, and why. How to hold onto the pieces so we don't need to pin. Why pinning and ironing as you go aren't a great idea.

But back to EQ. I actually did something with the program. But it is obvious I need to go back and do the lessons again.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:10 AM

Stitchin Stella,

Welcome to the group!  There is always something new to learn in the quilting world.  I too use the Electric Quilt program. I am not artistic so I don't get as much use from it as others. It's a great program.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:14 AM

Starling,

Sounds like a great class you are taking. I have a Civil War quilt on my to-do list, which just keeps getting longer and longer.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 11:05 AM

Starling:

I've got EQ 7. I keep buying add ons but have done nothing with it so far. I decided to print out 3 easy 12 inch block and try them out. I printed out the rotary cutter directions. Just doing something useful made me feel good.

Can you tell me what add ons are? are they expensive and what do they do?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,762
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:08 PM

Annie:
Kris, How much of a difference is there between EQ 5 & EQ 6??

I didn't use EQ 5 so I'm not sure of the changes.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:16 AM

Annie ,best thing I can tell you is go to the web site and see if you can download any of the prgrams , but I aslo think you said you had a Mac so you may want to check and see if it will work on you computer .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use