glory days quilt

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 55
sannamarie69@yahoo.com Posted: Sun, Jul 8 2012 11:59 PM

i am working on a quilt called glory days out of fonsandporter magazine from july/aug 2008. i can't figure out how to iron the pieces when putting together. and none of the patterns in this book say how to iron the pieces. they way i ironed the pieces as i was putting them together i would have to sew through 6 layers of matterial at the points when i get up to the star block assembly diagram. please help i am sort of a new quilter and am thinking i bite off more than i can chew.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,879
gini replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:07 AM

sannamarie, hello and welcome to the  group.   when i have a bunch of points coming together, i iron the seams the same direction.  they fan around perfectly, and it helps hide the hole where they come together.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 6:13 AM

When I have a lot of seams coming together, I see if pressing seams open may improve the bulkiness...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,879
gini replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 6:18 AM

kelley, it is hard to iron the seams at the point of a star open.  pressing them all the same direction works best for me.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,485
Agnes replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:40 AM

Gini--I have better centers if I press open so I suggest people try both ways to determine which way they prefer. As in everything else in quilting it is less about  rules and more about personal preference.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,879
gini replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:18 AM

you're right agnes,   i just end up with a mess when i try to press them open. next time i do a star i'll try your method again.  do you press them all open or every other one?  do you trim the seam allowances really close to get them to overlap better?  after you press one seam open how do you keep that seam open when you press the next seam open?  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use