Anyone use Guidelines4Quilting?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Sun, Jul 8 2012 10:09 AM

I came across a youtube video of this product, Guidelines4Quilting.  Does anyone use it?  Pros and cons?  Is it useful or just another gadget collecting dust?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,462 Posts
Points 116,615

Annie:

I came across a youtube video of this product, Guidelines4Quilting.  Does anyone use it?  Pros and cons?  Is it useful or just another gadget collecting dust?

I would also be interested in the responses to this question. I have a terrible time with accurate cutting, no matter what I do. But I wasn't crazy about putting out money for more gadgets I don't need.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:12 PM

My exact feeling.  It looks like a good idea.  Let's hope someone responds, Judy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:14 PM

Annie

I have looked at this set up so many times.  And they do have a QCA discount but I haven't broken down and bought it yet.  Maybe in the future.  So far all my money has been going for fabric and retreats..LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,457 Posts
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:50 PM

I really don't like their rulers. The guide is nice but the ruler is useless with out it. The markings are difficult to read. I only find it practical if I'm cutting the same shape over and over not for samplers where you cut different sizes. 

Here's a photo of the ruler on my cutting mat:

And some closeups:

The numbers across the top are easy to read but the side ones not so much:

The yellow seam guide feels cheaply made and this part on top doesn't slide smoothly. It take some doing to get it locked on the correct line (it slides when I try to lock it in place). That white thing helps you keep track of the 45, 60, or 30 degree line for angled cuts. It's helpful but you have to move to if you flip the ruler:

The best feature for me is that the ruler really does not slip. The edges grip fabric quite nicely. For the most part my rulers are collecting dust. One is still shrink wrapped. I bought two as they only come in one size. They can be joined together to make longer or wider sizes. This, too, doesn't serve me well.

I have the additions for Squares HSTs, and QSTs but I like my "Easy Angle" better.

There you have it; my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions). You might like it more than I do.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,462 Posts
Points 116,615

Thanks Kris. It really helps to hear a directly from someone who has used it.  I've yet to find a foolproof method of cutting strips. I'll cut a 2-1/2" strip very carefully. But when I remeasure I'll be off a wee bit. Frustrates me. I also find different rulers measure slightly differently. I think it might be the thickness of the lines on the rulers. I like Sharon Hulgren's rulers. Thin lines, big numbers, good markings. I don't like a square ruler I have by Marti Mitchell. The lines are so thick that I'm not sure where to place it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 3:19 PM

Wow, thanks Kris,  very thorough detailed description.  Thank you for taking the time for pictures, too.  I so appreciate it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,457 Posts
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 4:47 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I also find different rulers measure slightly differently.

Absolutely Judy. This ruler gives slightly larger cuts than my Quilt Cut 2 and my Creative Grids ruler. I make sure to use the same set of rulers for each project. It all works out when you sew if your seam allowance is consistent.

Creative Grids rulers have nice thin lines and I keep the line on the fabric when I cut.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,457 Posts
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 4:49 PM

Annie:
Wow, thanks Kris,  very thorough detailed description.  Thank you for taking the time for pictures, too.  I so appreciate it.

You're welcome Annie.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Judy T-Bellingham:
I've yet to find a foolproof method of cutting strips. I'll cut a 2-1/2" strip very carefully. But when I remeasure I'll be off a wee bit.

Whether you are cutting strips, squares, diamonds, hexagons, or the like, you must get a June Tailor Shape Cut!  It doesn't slip, and it's very accurate!  I have the model with 1/2 inch increments, but I think there is one with 1/4 inch slots, though I have to wonder how flimsy that one must feel.  I use my smallest rotary cutter when slicing within the slots so that I don't experience the grabbing that you'll see in this video.  This is one "gadget" I highly recommend!  I believe I bought mine at Joann's with a 40% coupon.

http://www.junetailor.com/shapecutvideo.htm  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 7:43 PM

Nancy,

I have one of those.  I forgot all about it!

Thanks for  the reminder

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,457 Posts
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 7:57 PM

I have a shape cut too( two in fact). I have had issues with slippage sometimes but I'll take it over the Guidelines ruler.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,265 Posts
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 8:37 PM

MNnancy:
June Tailor Shape Cut

I have one as well Nancy, thanks for reminding me.  Will cut my 5' squares with it.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:07 AM

Nancy I finally got a chance to see the shape cut with the 1/4 in increments.  The slots are still on the 1/2 just like the original shape cut but there is a line up spot on the left edge of the ruler to line up the edge of the fabric after it has been squared up that places it a 1/4 to the left of the zero line.  Then all your cuts you have 1/4 in increments.  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:09 AM

I use my Shape Cut all the time.  As long as I line the fabric up right to begin with it makes perfect cuts.  I really like it alot.....  after I learned how to use the thing accurately and appropriately...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use