Top 10 Posters

Help! Permanent Marker!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 350
Rachell posted on Sat, Jul 7 2012 5:11 PM

HELP! My toddler found my black chunky permanent marker and colored on the wall, his big brother's baby quilt, and the light brown microfiber recliners!

How do I get permanent marker out of:

A quilt

Microfiber recliners. The covers don't remove so I can't toss it in the washing machine. 

And hair spray, and alcohol, which work on regular ballpoint ink, didn't work, and neither did the washing machine, anyway!

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
355 Posts
Points 27,285

Rachel, I have used lemon extract [like you use for baking] to take permanent marker off walls, furntirue, etc.

Not sure about the microfiber recliners but it is natural and shouldn't hurt the material.

Other though for the quilt is Fels Naptha soap found in the laundry aisle.  It is a bar of soap wrapped in paper.  Bar is brown and rather coarse.  You get the item wet and then lather up with the soap.  Once you have a good lather, take your nail and just keep scrapping back and forth.  This works on blood and a lot of hard to remove stains.  I have had my bar for literally years but I am sure they still sell it around here in WNY.  Hopefully you can find it if you want to try it.

In today's world there is OxyClean and other spot removers but I usually end up back with the Fels Naptha.

Good luck.

Been there, done that.  No fun.  My now 19 yr old son did the walls in my MIL's house which was for sale when he was 2.  He was so proud of his art work but GM was not happy.  I think he was tainted for life.  Couldn't get him to barely finish an art project throughout school.  She squashed his creative bug real bad that day.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
355 Posts
Points 27,285

Rachel, I have used lemon extract [like you use for baking] to take permanent marker off walls, furntirue, etc.

Not sure about the microfiber recliners but it is natural and shouldn't hurt the material.

Other though for the quilt is Fels Naptha soap found in the laundry aisle.  It is a bar of soap wrapped in paper.  Bar is brown and rather coarse.  You get the item wet and then lather up with the soap.  Once you have a good lather, take your nail and just keep scrapping back and forth.  This works on blood and a lot of hard to remove stains.  I have had my bar for literally years but I am sure they still sell it around here in WNY.  Hopefully you can find it if you want to try it.

In today's world there is OxyClean and other spot removers but I usually end up back with the Fels Naptha.

Good luck.

Been there, done that.  No fun.  My now 19 yr old son did the walls in my MIL's house which was for sale when he was 2.  He was so proud of his art work but GM was not happy.  I think he was tainted for life.  Couldn't get him to barely finish an art project throughout school.  She squashed his creative bug real bad that day.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
355 Posts
Points 27,285

Good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
355 Posts
Points 27,285

Good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 6:56 PM

I have used Soft Scrub on the wall. As for the quilt, is it in one area or all over? If you can't get it out you could applique something over the marker.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Suggested by Mimi

Hi Rachel,

I use 100% acetone with a Q-tip and dap with a paper towel. That is also how I get sharpie of my rulers and machines and shirts. LOL!

Good Luck,

Judylee

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,465 Posts
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 11:53 AM

When I need to get permanent marker off of things like name tags and posters at school, I use nail polish remover.  Since it's furniture Q-tips seem like a good way to apply it. I also use the Mr. Clean eraser sponges sometimes.  Good luck.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,579 Posts
Points 23,985
Susie replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:59 PM

Rachell,

A friend of mine that used to clean carpets said that if it's a sharpie, very carefully write over the top of the writing.  It will remove the sharpie ink by magic.

Good luck!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 1:37 PM

Susie

What are you supposed to use to write over the sharpie?

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,579 Posts
Points 23,985
Susie replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 1:41 PM

Nana:

Susie

What are you supposed to use to write over the sharpie?

The sharpie.  It has something to do with whatever chemicals are in the ink...if you go over the top of the original writing, it lifts up the stain.

I've never tried, it, so maybe try it somewhere it won't show?

Sue

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 1:44 PM

That is interesting.  I will have to give it a try and see if it works.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 400

Judy Lee:

Hi Rachel,

I use 100% acetone with a Q-tip and dap with a paper towel. That is also how I get sharpie of my rulers and machines and shirts. LOL!

Good Luck,

Judylee

That's what I use too.

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 350
Rachell replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 11:39 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help. I tried a little bit of a whole bunch of things. I tried rubbing alcohol and hairspray, then tossed the quilt in the wash on gentle with liquid Arm and Hammer with Oxiclean detergent. I left it to hang up for a few hours while I went to the store.

I found Woolite Oxy Deep Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. That worked really well on the microfiber recliners....except for the very marker-saturated spots...the more marker had soaked in, it didn't completely come out in those spots.

I tried the Woolite on the quilt...it was still very wet from washing. Applied and saturated, rubbed and left to sit a few times that night. Hardly did a thing. That cotten soaked it up like it was dyed just for it.  I didn't bother on the blue background, but I was working on the yellow star points. The next day, I tried q-tips and applying ammonia. A teeny bit more leaked out onto my towel. I gave up, and rinsed that portion of the quilt in the sink well, then hung it up on the drying racks. My little guy hasn't noticed a thing, but was really glad to get his blankie back.

I chronicled it more in detail, with pictures, on my new blog:  claddaghsquiltsandstars.blogspot.com

I'm still doing construction on my blog and setting it up, but it's working!

Thanks again everyone, Rachell

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use