care for an old quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
50 Posts
Points 1,515
Francine posted on Fri, Jul 6 2012 9:20 PM

I have an old quilt top of my Grandmother's that I found recently. Not sure when she had done it or what her plans for it was, but it has been almost 48 years since she passed.  It is red and white (now ivory) and hand pieced.  I would like to make a scrappy quilt with fabric from things I have made for my kids and would love to use this for the back (other) side.  First I would like to clean it and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, any help would be appreciated.

Francine

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,871 Posts
Points 420,189
gini replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 12:29 AM

if it is in good shape, i would make it it's own quilt. it could be a wonderful  heirloom for your children.  not that it wouldn't be a nice back  for your scrappy quilt, but before i made it into a quilt back i would make sure that it isn't a real treasure.    before i washed it i would secure the edges, by either a short basting stitch around the sides/edges or by attaching the border, and i would stay stitch the border, too if you attach one.   then wash gently by hand.   it is hard to keep the edges from fraying if you wash the quilt top before it is bound up into a quilt, but if you are careful it should work.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.