Rag Quilting

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 270

I wnt to do a rag quilt.  It seems easy enough but I have some questions.  I have the new Accu Go cutter with the rag sqare withe the fringe already cut.  The biggest question is...when I sandwich the two pieces of flannel, do I need batting in between?  If I cut a sandwich with batting, the batting will show in the fringe....so I don't understand how to have batting in the quilt, or if it is necessary,  I need advice,  I have searched for rag quilting topics but haven't come up with anything so far.  Is anyone good at rag quilting?

Theresa

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Thu, Dec 31 2009 10:14 PM

Theresa, I think you do need the batting. The batting is cut 1" smaller than the flannel pieces. So, if your block s are 9" square, the batting is 8" square and that give you 1/2" for the seam. That gives you enough flannel to fray nicely. Check out this site:

RagQuilt

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Thu, Dec 31 2009 10:15 PM

Hi Theresa, if you don't use batting then you can use another piece of flannel in place of the batting.

Lots of people use just flannel instead of batting.  It is a personal preference.

If you use batting, the batting needs to be cut 1 inch smaller that your flannel squares

Wow, that is going to make for a really quick rag quilt with the fringe already cut, good for you.

I hope this helps.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Thu, Dec 31 2009 10:21 PM

Also Theresa if you just type in to your search engine "Rag Quilt" or "How to make a rag quilt" you will get lots of sites that can give you some suggestions.

There are a couple that I can pass on to you and they are  www.lovetosew.com

and quilting101.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Dec 31 2009 10:44 PM

Theresa, it sounds like you've already received some very good advice.  That's what's so great about QCA.  Welcome!  Please post a picture of your quilt when you're done!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 31 2009 11:03 PM

Theresa

I am anxiously awaiting pictures.  I haven't made a rag quilt yet either.  I have seen some that others have made and they are very pretty.  Good luck and hope you found all the answers that you needed.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,662
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 12:26 AM

Theresa, I've made several rag quilts and I just use the two pieces of flannel. I've never put anything in between. I didn't want the quilts to be too heavy.

As was said before just cut the batting smaller than the squares you are using making. BTW how do you like the fringe die? I have the Go cutter but I'm sure about that one.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 9:59 AM

Wow, I love that site on makeing rag quilts.  I have never made one before.  I have some left over flannel I will have to use and I think will use some of my many batting scraps as well. 

What fun.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:28 AM

Theresa:

I wnt to do a rag quilt.  It seems easy enough but I have some questions.  I have the new Accu Go cutter with the rag sqare withe the fringe already cut.  The biggest question is...when I sandwich the two pieces of flannel, do I need batting in between?  If I cut a sandwich with batting, the batting will show in the fringe....so I don't understand how to have batting in the quilt, or if it is necessary,  I need advice,  I have searched for rag quilting topics but haven't come up with anything so far.  Is anyone good at rag quilting?

Theresa

I think the main problem you may have is to not get the fringe  caught in your seams where you don't want them.  You are going to need to be careful that your fringe is laying correctly and out of the way.  Just a little warning.  Is your fringe cut to 1/2"?  The batting should fit within the solid part of your block, not over the fringe.  Typically, your seams are 1/2" so the batting is 1" less than the size of your square.  I think you need batting unless you want more of a "blanket" weight.  I've done this for baby rag quilts to make them lighter or just add flannel.  Since your squares are already cut, I think using flannel would be harder.  Flannel would typically be the same size as your block and then be cut as part of the fringe. 

It would be nice to not have to cut the fringe.  That is the worst part of the rag quilts.  But they are so loved by everyone I've ever given one to.  One hint for cutting for those who don't have them precut is to cut as you go.  Don't wait until your whole quilt is done.  It is easier to handle one row at a time instead of wrangling the whole quilt in my opinion.  And that way, when you sew on the last row, you are almost done.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 270
Theresa replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:29 AM

WOW...thank you all for your suggestions, tips, links.  Since I just joined QCA, I was amazed how much help I received.....and all on New Year's Eve!!!!   What dedication to your craft!  I haven't tried my Accu Go yet, but will let you know how I like it when I do.  My 6 year old wants a new blanky for his birthday in January so I have to get going on the rag quilt.

Theresa on Golden Pond

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 3,475
Tink922 replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:30 AM

Keep us updated on your progress. I can't wait to see it!

North Central Ohio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 270
Theresa replied on Fri, Jan 1 2010 10:30 AM

Thanks.....love that site!  I have never seen it before!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Theresa...I too have made the rag quilt both with and without batting and also with just flannel...anyway is fine they are just different weights...my friend made her's with batting and she didn't like how heavy it was...it really is a preference ....glad you are enjoying the site...we are all addicted to it I think...well a lot of us are...lol...the chatty ones anyway ....pick the answer that you like and try it...just remember that you have to make sure that the batting is smaller by the seam allowance...my pattern called for a 5/8" seam allowance which means 1 1/4" less than the block.....

ie.

9" block means a 7 3/4" batting piece or if it is  1/2" seam allowance it would be 1" smaller than the block... hope this helps

Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use