Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger Posted: Tue, Jul 3 2012 1:25 PM
Hi all! Tomorrow is the 4th of July, as you know! For my DH and I, it's a special time of the year. June 11,2001 is when we were married, so a month later we were at the lakefront watching the fireworks! Always a reason to call the fourth, special. However, lately I've been thinking about all of the men, women and yes, even children, that have given their lives for the freedom of this country.Whether they lost their lives as soldiers or accidentally, as innocent people that were in the wrong place at the wrong time, or lost their lives indirectly, as a consequence of losing their loved ones in a conflict, here on our shores or on a faraway land, makes it even more poignant. Most recently, I've lost friends and people I grew up with in 911 in New York, and in Iraq and Afganistan. Somehow, war touches us all, either emotionally or as we found out in 2001, financially. We all know that we have choices. I choose to be grateful for every single lost life, every family hurt by war, through loss, all the soldiers who have survived but will never be the same. These are the heroes that make our lives in this country possible. Whether it be an easy life or difficult one, we still enjoy a rare freedom that most other countries don't have! We can strike, march, complain, write letters to our officials, form groups to make change possible. We can be straight, gay, ***, Jewish, Muslim , Catholic, Protestant or even witches and warlocks without the gripping fear that some official will find us out and punish us without mercy! In some countries, the poorest are even more vulnerable because they dare not complain. In other countries women not only have no rights, but are often targeted, mistreated, raped, abused, or made to sell themselves. This country looks after our poor and women, gays and lesbians, Catholics and Muslims, blacks and whites are as close to being equal as they ever have been. While the U.S.A has it's MANY faults, let's face it...we are the luckiest people on the planet to live in this United States Of America! We have more freedom and rights than any other country in the world. That's what all of the casualties of war have blessed us with. I'd like to thank all of our veterans over the years, going all the way back to the revolution, to the civil war, to WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afganistan and all the other conflicts our countrymen and women fought for. They are heroes to me and they are the reason that I live FREE! Thank you! God Bless America!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 1:36 PM

Chicago, very well said . thankyou barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,286
Points 173,448
Marie replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 2:42 PM

Chicagosinger, I sit here with goosebumps going up and down my body.  What a beautiful tribute to all who have suffered to make our country FREE, thank you and I say GOD BLESS AMERICA as well.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Chicagosinger, very well said and what a wonderful tribute.  Have a happy and safe 4th of July.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 3:40 PM

Every once in a while we get our own air show right overhead.   The pilots like to dive and swoop, roll over, fly off in the distance and come back again and again, and again.  2 of them today.  They come pretty darn low sometimes too.  Sometimes I just have to run out and look or stop the car and get out.   I am always in awe.  I don't always see them at first.  I hear them, then scan the sky as the roar comes from where they have been.  They are magnificent.  I like it when they get close.  I can see the windows and wonder if I had my binoculars if I would be able to see the pilots.   Before the Iraq war, we saw jets practicing maneuvers.  Several, several times a day.  So often and so many that we knew they were preparing for something. They'd show up on the horizon as many as 5, flying together, then peal off in different directions, in perfect formation. 

Thanks to all you who have served.  Happy Independence Day!

Here they come again, gotta go. . .

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,499
Points 138,433

Well said! And yes! God Bless the servicemen and women, all of them,  that have dedicated themselves to keeping us safe and free.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 10:24 PM

Chicago

Very well said.  God Bless this great country and all those who have served to keep it free.  Happy Independence Day.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,360
Points 414,984
gini replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 10:48 PM

Happy 4 th everyone

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:40 AM

Well said Chicago. Wish I had the words to express myself as well as you have here.... But you have expressed my feelings exactly. Happy Independence Day America. Added note.... Its been so dry here we will not be doing fire works tonight. But if you are please try to be careful and be safe. My prayers go out to those  that live out west with the horriable fires.  

Today is the birthday of the Declaration of Independence... 1776.

Deb

chicagosinger:
Hi all! Tomorrow is the 4th of July, as you know! For my DH and I, it's a special time of the year. June 11,2001 is when we were married, so a month later we were at the lakefront watching the fireworks! Always a reason to call the fourth, special. However, lately I've been thinking about all of the men, women and yes, even children, that have given their lives for the freedom of this country.Whether they lost their lives as soldiers or accidentally, as innocent people that were in the wrong place at the wrong time, or lost their lives indirectly, as a consequence of losing their loved ones in a conflict, here on our shores or on a faraway land, makes it even more poignant. Most recently, I've lost friends and people I grew up with in 911 in New York, and in Iraq and Afganistan. Somehow, war touches us all, either emotionally or as we found out in 2001, financially. We all know that we have choices. I choose to be grateful for every single lost life, every family hurt by war, through loss, all the soldiers who have survived but will never be the same. These are the heroes that make our lives in this country possible. Whether it be an easy life or difficult one, we still enjoy a rare freedom that most other countries don't have! We can strike, march, complain, write letters to our officials, form groups to make change possible. We can be straight, gay, ***, Jewish, Muslim , Catholic, Protestant or even witches and warlocks without the gripping fear that some official will find us out and punish us without mercy! In some countries, the poorest are even more vulnerable because they dare not complain. In other countries women not only have no rights, but are often targeted, mistreated, raped, abused, or made to sell themselves. This country looks after our poor and women, gays and lesbians, Catholics and Muslims, blacks and whites are as close to being equal as they ever have been. While the U.S.A has it's MANY faults, let's face it...we are the luckiest people on the planet to live in this United States Of America! We have more freedom and rights than any other country in the world. That's what all of the casualties of war have blessed us with. I'd like to thank all of our veterans over the years, going all the way back to the revolution, to the civil war, to WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afganistan and all the other conflicts our countrymen and women fought for. They are heroes to me and they are the reason that I live FREE! Thank you! God Bless America!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:15 AM

Well said, Chi!  I am so very grateful for my grandfathers and my two fathers and many uncles that served to protect our rights.  Somewhere, my generation seems to have lost some of that patriotism, but it has come back in my children's generation.  DD is still looking at joining up as she feels that she needs to do something.  DS hasn't come to any decisions yet, but talks about it here and there. The picture is my beloved Grandpa, Pop in his uniform.  Handsome, wasn't he?

Happy Independence Day everyone!  To those who have served, your dedication and sacrifice has NOT gone unnoticed!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Wow, everyone!I am deep-ly touched by all of your posts and pictures! Susie, yes your Grandpop was very handsome!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Very well put Chicago.  Freedom isn't free! God bless the good old USA!!!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use