Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 869
Points 17,360
Sue Posted: Wed, Jun 27 2012 9:37 PM

Hello fellow quilting friends,

My name is Sue, usually I am based in the Piney Woods of East Texas, however, DH and I have a 24' RV trailer that we are now living in and traveling West.  Ultimate destination is So Calif where I have a house to sell.  I am also finishing up on the first Round Robin, just have the last border to do on the last quilt then send it home to it's owner.  Each morning finds me sitting at the picnic table outside my RV at my little travel sewing machine working on the border, which is almost finished.  DH and I also do some sightseeing, mostly in the afternoons when it is too hot to sit outside and sew.  Yesterday we went to the old mining town of Jerome where we walked up and down the hills.  Today we visited the wonderful red rocks of Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.  If you are not sure where this is, it is in Arizona, North of Phoenix in the foothills/mountains and south of Flagstaff.  While in Sedona, we visited the LQS, DH found some fabric he really liked and asked me if I would make him a pillow with it.  What could I say?  He bought it so now I have another project to work on.  We will be in this area until Saturday then head north toward Hatch, Utah where we will meet up with friends for some off roading.  They have jeeps and we have a 4X4 truck.  Guess that's all for now, I'll post photos and keep you up to date on what we are doing.

In Cottonwood, AZ now

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 9:40 PM

This sounds just wonderful, Sue.  What a great vacation...traveling, sightseeing and sewing.  One of these days I'm going to have to try it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 869
Points 17,360
Sue replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 9:42 PM

Karla, It is great!  Fernley, is that near Reno?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 9:43 PM

Yes, about 35 miles east of Reno. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 869
Points 17,360
Sue replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 9:44 PM

Don't think we will get up that way this trip, from Hatch we will head to So Calif, probably via Las Vegas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:51 AM

Hi, Sue. My DS also travels in a RV. She and my DBIL summer in Flagstaff. They spend the winter in Phoenix as her oldest son and his family live there, Then.  they head for Lafayette, LA to see their younger son and visit  his family. They come to Tullahoma, TN in late spring. She gets down to see me for a few days while they are in TN. They just left recently for Flagstaff. They have an Allegro Bus. She said it is hard to do any quiltiing, in the bus, as she has limited space and has to spread out so that she is always having to stop, move things around to have room to cook. She can't use the picnic table as her hubby spreads out there to make his jewelry. He is 74 and I am trying to get them to sell the bus and buy a house again. I think he is just too old to keep this up. She said his mental capacities are starting to go down hill. But he is not ready to get offt he road.

Enjoy your travels.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,348
Points 27,440
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 8:45 AM

Ah, Sue, you are living the life I dreamed of.  Enjoy!!!!

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 869
Points 17,360
Sue replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:22 PM

Hi LaJuan,

I can relate to quilting in the RV.  Last year we traded a 33' 5th wheel with a 4 X 13' slide out for this 24' bumper pull with a tiny slide out.  I had so much more room in the 5th wheel, but, we also built a home in East Texas so decided we didn't need the "BIG RIG" anymore.  Whenever I spread out to sew in the 5th wheel, I took up all the space.  Dinner time was clean up time.  All the under bed storage was quilting supplies.

I do hope your DS drives the rig too.  That was the one thing I insisted on when we started.  DH drives for 100 miles then I drive for 100 miles.  This way we both get a chance to rest.  We also don't go very far between stops. 

Where in TN are you?  We may get there on our way back to Texas this year.

Stay well,

From Cottonwood, AZ

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 869
Points 17,360
Sue replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:26 PM

Hi Quilt Daddy,

You are so right, fabrics do change from region to region.  When we were in Montana one year, we saw a flannels that would make your eyes pop out, couldn't find them anywhere else.  The southwest has a lot of Indian type prints.

Sorry your RV travels didn't last, but at least you gave it a try.  And that's a good thing!

Still in Cottonwood

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 869
Points 17,360
Sue replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:28 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

Where in Sunny So Calif are you?  DH and I will be in the San Fernando Valley around the middle of July for who knows how long.  I have a house there that I need to sell.  If you are not too far away, maybe we can get together.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.