Top 10 Posters

teen boy quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
26 Posts
Points 625
redfish21 posted on Sun, Jun 24 2012 7:40 AM

Quilts 4 kids needs quilts for teen boys. Does anyone know of a pattern that was made with older boys in mind? I know I can make any pattern with fabric that is boy friendly but just thought I would see if anyone has any other ideas.

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,541 Posts
Points 51,230
Ginny replied on Sun, Jun 24 2012 8:49 AM

I made a quilt for myGreat Grandson in the yellow brick road pattern using blues and greens most with a fish , or outdoors scene.  Actually, his others were frogs and bugs and such you could use in fishing.   The quilt is a fairly easy pattern.   Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I would think the fabric choice more than the quilt design is what might appeal to boys.  I found a fabric with skateboarders that I'm hoping to sew into a teen boy quilt.

It seems like goth-style skeleton prints are popular right now, too.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I think a simple quilt with squares and flannel in blues, greens,brown, reds, etc is good.  

There is a pattern called triple treaty hat is big squares made of 3 rectangles in different sizes.  It is a variation of the rail fence ( which is also a good pattern for boys) but the middle strip is narrow ... 2" unfinished.  One rec I think is 8" x 12 1/2" and the other 3 1/2" x 12 1/2" making a 12 1/2" unfinished block.  Good for FQ's or scrap.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

And flannel rag quilts are perfect for boys.  I have four boys and they LOVE their rag quilts!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
96 Posts
Points 2,025
Barb S replied on Sun, Jun 24 2012 9:48 AM

I did a simple friendship star block pattern for my teen-aged nephew - used a navy blue, yellow, green and purple fish print star on a background of tan and gray-ish purple with sashing and double borders of navy and tan  -- and a brown binding --light/medium blue backing.  He loved it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,690
Sylvia replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 6:40 PM

Flannels are great for boys but you can't use flannel fabrics in QFK quilts or rag quilts.  Flannel generates too much static electricity. :~(

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,690
Sylvia replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 6:42 PM

I just quilted one for an older boy and the fabric was sort of a safari print with jeeps and compasses on it.  Kind of like a desert safari theme.

Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 1,255

I love making denim quilts - I've done rag denim backed with a rainbow of batiks and tied denim squares backed with a peace sign sheet I found at the thrift store brand new.  My 15 year old son likes them.  But he sleeps under an applique "circles in square".  It is a blue toned memory quilt made with shirts of his late  dad's and some of his own old clothes.  

Happy quilting!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,664 Posts
Points 120,340

Redfish21

I made this quilt top for Quilts for Kids. Haven't quilted it yet but it's next on my list.  I used mostly blues and greens and made tilted blocks with yellow centers. I fussy cut hearts from fabrics with trains, sports and some other things and securely machine appliqued them on. 

You could do a simple quilt as you go log cabin pattern in boy-friendly colors.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use