Top 10 Posters

I am the BIGGEST dumb-dumb in the world!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie Posted: Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:37 PM

I had previously commented on a post regarding Pfaff QE 4.0 specifically about having tension and thread breaking issues while free motion quilting.  I was gong to post this there but was afraid no one would see it and I figured I needed to share this with anyone out there that might benefit from my biggest dumb-dumb move EVER!!!

I just learned that, although one can free motion quilt by simply setting the machine on sensor-matic or spring motion, you also need to drop the feed dogs!!!!!!!

Why didn't I ever think to do that.  I figured by selecting free motion setting, that I would be fine, that the machine would automatically drop the feed dogs, not to mention I was moving freely, but no.  You actually have to drop those suckers, and guess what, no more problems.

Phew, what a relief.  

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 3:44 PM

Annie:
I just learned that, although one can free motion quilt by simply setting the machine on sensor-matic or spring motion, you also need to drop the feed dogs!!!!!!!

Annie - don't feel dumb - we have all made boo-boos like this so you are not alone.  Although Leah Day who has a website and does all the FMQ patterns says you don't have to lower the feed dogs and I have always done so.  I need to check it out with my Janome 6600 and see if it possible to do it like she says.  Maybe some machines do better than others.  It is a mystery to me.

Glad things are going better for you.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:18 PM

Thanks Marge

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 4:32 PM

Annie:
biggest dumb-dumb
Oh? YOU are the biggest dumb dumb, are you? No one told me I had lost my crown. 

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:14 PM

Thanks Richard. Good point

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,703
Points 364,327
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 1:30 AM

Annie,

been there done that. Yep it's a learning process. I got a good laugh from your post though. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 36,780
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 6:14 AM

Sewing machines work better and will turn on if you have them plugged in!!!!! Had to call the repairman to figure that one out.

Believe me, Annie, you are not the biggest dumb-dumb in the world.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Linda:

Sewing machines work better and will turn on if you have them plugged in!!!!! Had to call the repairman to figure that one out.

Believe me, Annie, you are not the biggest dumb-dumb in the world.

Totally agree Linda. How about forgetting to put the bobbin in? LOL! Everyone probably could post this, however; Annie I would call you rather smart to even try free motion machine quilting as it isn't for the faint of heart.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 36,780
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 6:51 AM

That's a good one, Quilt Daddy! ROFLOL!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 7:51 AM

Annie, I am surprised that your machine didn't tell you - that you needed to drop the feed dogs.  My 2170 won't let me sew on the free motion setting without doing that.  I get a little picture in the window or words that say it - can't remember exactly which as since I have gotten it back I don't use it that much - afraid to break it again...lol... 

But we all make mistakes and the fun is learning from them and being able to laugh at ourselves and smile about how much easier it is after we fix the mistake...lol

Something good to learn about the 4.0 though - same on my Janome - it shows the picture about the feed dogs but if I go ahead and sew it doesn't stop me.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,905
Terri replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:48 AM

After I bought my new machine, I had my old one tuned and cleaned, and the put it away for a while.  I had to go to the high school to help with costumes for the musical, and took out my old machine.  I went to wind the bobbin, and it didn't work.  I kept trying different things, and then just decided it was broken.  It had been a few months since I had it tuned, so I didn't think I could bring it back without a charge.  

A month or so later, I realized that on my old machine I have to actually use the pedal to wind the bobbin.  My new machine starts as soon as I push the bobbin on and slide the thing over.  Totally forgot that the old machine was not automatic.  I felt like a dum dum too.  I guess we all do things like that.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:16 AM

Well now I feel like I'm in great company. 

Thea, I guess the 4.0 has the option to further drop the dogs. I remember leah day mentioning that option but couldn't imagine what she was talking talking about. I never thought there was an in between dog lowering. 

Thanks for the chuckles. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:17 AM

MMM

Do hand quilt or long arm?

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use