Sharps

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 145
ncdanish3@nycap.rr.com Posted: Sun, Jun 3 2012 1:35 PM

I have been using my empty plastic chewing gum jars to put needles,pins, and cutting blades in and then I can just put them in the recycle bin and everyone is safe.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 905
Kate replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 4:52 PM

I do the same thing with large pill bottles.

Kate

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Jun 4 2012 12:14 PM

I use the spice bottles with the shaker holes to pop the needles in and tighten the lid.  Easy to toss in the garbage.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

As a diabetic, I use a large plastic coffee container with a hole cut in the top for my sharps container. When it gets full, DH pours them into another large coffee can and duct tapes it for the garbage.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:57 AM

Hi Mary,

I'm diabetic too.  My lancets come in a little drum and so no sharp points, sort of like my quilts, sometimes.  I still put them into a large pill bottle (I've got plenty of those!) for disposal.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

Great idea!!!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 3:52 PM

Great tip Richard!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,348
Points 174,613
Marie replied on Sat, Jul 28 2012 3:54 PM

The Quilt Daddy:
I buy coffee creamer and when the container is empty I staple the top closed and cut a coin slot in it so I can dispose of rotary cutter blades and other objects without fear of getting cut on the rebound. When I am ready to dispose I tape over the slot so nothing can fall out.

That's a great tip Richard!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 29 2012 11:10 AM

I put mine in an old peach can with no lid. I keep the little case they came in and put them back in there and then in the can. DH, sometimes, gets them to use with an old rotary cutter he got when I got a new one. He uses them in his woodworking somehow. Then when I am ready to throw no the old blades, I tape the little cases with a bit of duct tape to make sure they stay in there and toss them.

I have seen the new rotary cutter blade sharpeners. DH said he doesn't see how those could work well enough to give a real sharp edge to the blades.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I have found that the rotary cutter sharpeners do sharpen but not "as good as new".  It does extend the cutting life of your blade though.  I have several type of sharpeners - even the newest electric one. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Those rotary cutter blades don't make them like 'new', I agree. I'll tell you what tho', I borrowed Suzy's the first time she came over ( back in May, I think) and it still works great! Was the electric one pricey, Marge? I'm curious. I'd like to buy one but not sure if I should buy something like what Suzy has, or buy an electric one like you have. Which do you think is better?,

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:52 AM

I shove my needles down in an old "tomato" pincushion. My DW tells me this is wrong, and if she catches me at it she says stuff.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 11:05 PM

"Stuff" ?? What stuff does your wife say? 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 7:55 AM

Examples --- ::silent head-shake:: "What are you doing?" "Do you need some tape and cardboard to wrap that up?" "Where did you learn to do that? I never heard of anyone sticking old needles in their pincushion."

DW sticks 'em in cardboard or paper, wraps in tape and the in a plastic bag or several. The govt disposes of nuclear waste in a more casual manner.

My DDM is guilty, by example. I still have her old pincushion with age-blackened needle tops barely visible. It still has a few pins in it from back when pins were pins and pin-head meant something small. It's falling apart with age, but then, so am I. It will probably last me out and someone else can deal with the hazardous waste.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use