Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
jean.kopacz Posted: Sat, Jun 2 2012 6:59 PM

Hi my name is Jean

I love quilting and always learning different techniques,   My question is my money and time worth

buying the accuquilt cutter or am I better off just using rulers and squares   for making my quilts

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170

Hi Jean,

Welcome! I agree with Richard, the Go is the way to GO! No pun intended.

I have MS and  have had multiple surgeries on my arms and elbows and was so happy that I bought the go.  I used it to precut my hexagons for my Grand Mother's Garden quilt. I didn't purchase the strip makers because those are so easy to cut already . The only caution that I have is to buy only the dies needed for projects that you will get multiple uses out of! It is so very easy to get carried away! LOL!

Not that I mean hoarding or anything! LOL!

Have Fun,

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

I've yet to use mine. I have a couple of dies besides what came with it. They are so expensive and DH is retiring in 3 months...gotta pinch my pennies until Lincoln squeals! lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 4:30 PM

I don't use my GO! nearly as much as I thought I would. It's easier (for me) to just use my rotary cuter. I have CTS in both wrists (and shoulder problem) but do not find the GO! easier to use. the handle is hard to turn when using three or more layers of fabric.

Static builds up on the plastic cutting mats that can cause fabric to shift during the cutting process thus reducing the accuracy of the cut. I wrote to Accuquilt about this problem and they suggested using paper between the mat and fabric. That adds another layer to cut through.

The dies are expensive and you need one for each shape you will cut. I suggest buying the ones that are difficult to rotary cut and/or the shapes you cut most.

If there is a place for you to try the cutter before you buy that might be helpful as each person will have a different experience with this machine.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jun 4 2012 12:16 PM

I like the Go, but not enought to buy one.  If I want to use it, my friend bought one (actually, her husband bought it for a gift for her)  I buy the die and use the machine.  she keeps the die and if I want to use one of hers, I can. Win win for both of us.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 4 2012 12:20 PM

Vivian

I am like you in that I don't think I would use it enough to validate the cost.   I cut so many different sizes and shapes that I would never be able to afford that many dies.  I will just continue to use my rotary cutter.  Now I do love the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler with the slots in it.  Now I can cut bunches of strips or squares in no time with it.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Mon, Jun 4 2012 12:35 PM

I actually have a bigger one (GrandMark).  I rarely use it to cut my actual quilt pieces (squares etc.).  the only thing that I do use it for is applique shapes.  For that it is awesome, but I agree the dies are expensive!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

I, too, have the bigger machine (Accuquilt Studio) and love it.  I also custom cut fabric for people.  Customers get the accuracy of die cut pieces without the expense of buying the machine and dies.

Rose Hall

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use